Mentally Ill denied entry?

Hello to everyone,

I'm planning to travel to Thailand next year for a family visit on a Tourist Visa.

During this year I was working in Thailand but fell in depression and got treatment in a mental hospital in the country. After that I left the country to get better healthcare in my own country and terminated the contract and work permit by exiting the country.

I read on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (point 6 or 7 can't remember) that mentally unstable people are denied entry into the country. Could that be my case?

Also, if I wish to come back to Thailand and live on a Marriage Extension can it be denied because of the aforementioned reason?

Thank you everyone! 

Thank you guys, your posts are really reassuring and make me feel more at peace. Depression really is a terrible disease and I'm still fighting it but getting better day by day. The cause of it was more because of my job rather than living in Thailand, I love the country and my wife and kids live there.

By the way, I will need to carry my prescription meds with me. Should I carry on myself only those needed for the flight and the rest in the luggage? It will be for one month so a few packages. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2019 at 3:45 AM, wisperone said:

Carry the entire prescription in your carry on bag. Don't take the chance of it going missing out of your checked luggage, or your luggage getting lost. Always a good idea to bring the printout of the medication from the pharmacy with you in case you should get questioned. Thirty day supply is no problem.

Disagree. I carry 6 months' worth of medication in my checked luggage. Have never had a problem for ten years.

What is the OP going to do if his carry on bag is opened, and the plods think he is bringing in commercial quantities?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Disagree. I carry 6 months' worth of medication in my checked luggage. Have never had a problem for ten years.

What is the OP going to do if his carry on bag is opened, and the plods think he is bringing in commercial quantities?

I imagine you would show the prescription from home country. Nowadays they could just as easy find the medication in his checked luggage.

If the OP gets stopped to check inside his bags, why would they only check his carry on ?

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

You can buy Zoloft and Lexapro right across the counter. I would certainly not volunteer any information to the Thai government. Most of the expats who are here are hardly normal. ????

The ones I know are ok, but I suppose it takes one to know one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2019 at 4:45 AM, wisperone said:

Carry the entire prescription in your carry on bag. Don't take the chance of it going missing out of your checked luggage, or your luggage getting lost. Always a good idea to bring the printout of the medication from the pharmacy with you in case you should get questioned. Thirty day supply is no problem.

customs are more concerned with narcotics.  psychiatric medications are not included in this class of drugs and are usually not subject to scuntiny.  also note that most anti-depressant meds can be purchase over the counter in Thailand unlike the States and generics are available. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 2:21 AM, Lacrimas said:

Thank you guys, your posts are really reassuring and make me feel more at peace. Depression really is a terrible disease and I'm still fighting it but getting better day by day. The cause of it was more because of my job rather than living in Thailand, I love the country and my wife and kids live there.

By the way, I will need to carry my prescription meds with me. Should I carry on myself only those needed for the flight and the rest in the luggage? It will be for one month so a few packages. 

How many times has anyone checked the luggage at Suvarnabhumi Airport? Don't worry about it. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:21 AM, Lacrimas said:

Get a doctors note for the medication.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

customs are more concerned with narcotics.  psychiatric medications are not included in this class of drugs and are usually not subject to scuntiny.  also note that most anti-depressant meds can be purchase over the counter in Thailand unlike the States and generics are available. 

When you have a stop in the middle east you could have a problem.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm guessing, but thinking they are referring more to serious mental illness where the individual is unable to function or is a danger to others.

If you don't arrive in urine soaked trousers waving a spatula demanding that dragons are coming, you'll be ok.

I'm unsure what the level of care in Thailand is. I suspect it is so doctor specific that any county would be a challenge to find an insightful, caring doctor who does not have a one year waiting list.

• Like 1

Do not worry, in this country if you are mentally unstable you will blend right in! None of us who have lived with the Thais long term still have all our marbles in the bag.

Just doing business with the Thais gave me brain damage.

Judging from the way you write I would say your head is still screwed on straight. Try and get off the medications if you can, they all have side effects.

As for bringing meds into the country, a reasonable amount is allowed for personal use, but best to have a prescription or doctors note.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 8:29 AM, Peterw42 said:

I imagine you would show the prescription from home country. Nowadays they could just as easy find the medication in his checked luggage.

If the OP gets stopped to check inside his bags, why would they only check his carry on ?

I don't know how stringent the checks of hold luggage are. However, as I said, have never had a problem. I have never been asked to open checked luggage at my destination here. I do carry a doctor's letter explaining the various medications.

On the other hand, security people rifle through carry-on luggage quite frequently, in my observation.

You sound like a polite and likeable person, so you should definitely be welcome in Thailand! ????

Hope you find some ways of getting a "boost" or lift that clears up these things, there are a lot of things to learn from thais when it comes to dealing with mental problems - the people stuck in the West are the insane ones in MY opinion at least!