Friends wanted in Chiang Mai

Sammy Jon

Hello, 

I am retired system engineer, holding Ph.D and consultant in Silicon Valley, California.

I am US citizen, Korean, and my wife passed away some time ago.

I play guitar,  play golf,  enjoy conversation on variety of subjects, and physical fitness is my main focus.

As a single solitary life, Chiang mai came to my mind to settle for retirement.

Since I do not have any friends there, I want to get acquainted with good friends to talk to and get some advice for Chiang mai life.

Please contact me and my email address is * email address edited out*

Your response will be valued.

Thank you,

Sammy

Sammy, do your homework...I am assuming you are an older gentleman...healthcare costs are set to go through the roof for expats living in Thailand.

Check the AQI (Air Quality Index) for Chiang Mai...you may find this area of Thailand has some of the most unhealthy air to breathe in the world at certain times of the year...

Chaing Mai is a nice place to visit...living there is another issue.  Why not visit several areas of Thailand before you settle in somewhere?   ????

Hi Khun Sammy,

Yes, the hot-polluted season here this year was hellish, but, let me assure you there are many long-term expats still here who love Chiang Mai, and who enjoy a rich way of life here.

I'll send you a private message,

Welcome !

~o:37;

2 hours ago, Puwa said:

Welcome! Chiang Mai needs more open, friendly expats like you. 

I agree.

Have had some bad luck here however.

Guys asking for money after meeting several times for lunch or coffee.

Played golf with a guy who declined to answer my messages.  Saw him later and he said I was too good of a golfer, so he did not want to play again.

The last guy and this was recently, we started a conversation at Starbuck's at Central.  Turns out he is some type of self proclaimed cult leader outside Udon Thani and thinks the world is coming to an end.  Saw him a few days later at the same spot seems he is trying to recruit people.

Think I will just plan on sticking to myself at this point and hanging with the gf when she is not working.

3 hours ago, JingerBen said:

chiangmaiexpatsclub.com

You may find some golfers among the members.

Their president, NancyL is a very helpful lady as well.

Welcome to Chiang Mai.

I haven't been on the board of CM Expats Club since 2017, but I agree that it's a good organization for a new retiree to check out.   https://chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/

Also Chiang Mai International Rotary Club, where I'm spending my time these days is a good way to make friends and engage in community service https://www.cmirotary.org/   Plus, you'll get to know Thai people outside the usual folks you meet in restaurants, hotels and bars since there are many Thai Rotary clubs in Chiang Mai and we often do projects with them.  The Thai Rotarians are people from business, academics, medicine, government, etc.

On 10/10/2019 at 12:10 PM, bkk6060 said:

I agree.

Have had some bad luck here however.

Guys asking for money after meeting several times for lunch or coffee.

Played golf with a guy who declined to answer my messages.  Saw him later and he said I was too good of a golfer, so he did not want to play again.

The last guy and this was recently, we started a conversation at Starbuck's at Central.  Turns out he is some type of self proclaimed cult leader outside Udon Thani and thinks the world is coming to an end.  Saw him a few days later at the same spot seems he is trying to recruit people.

Think I will just plan on sticking to myself at this point and hanging with the gf when she is not working.

At least they weren't Amazon resellers.  Seems like a good starting point of people to avoid is those who are too cool to have a mobile phone, almost as bad as the iPhone 13 guys.  The self proclaimed experts on everything Buddha are about as interesting as white pain drying.  I don't mind the stock market experts, because it is too easy for me to tell, who the pretenders are.  

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Several hiking clubs in CM, and a lot of cyclists.

Hey, don't forget the Chiang Mai Hash House Harriers.

This from the website:

Visitors and virgins are welcome on our hashes.  Turn up at the pickup point [before the bus leaves] with a change of clothes and some money for the hash [350 baht at most], 50 baht for the bus and maybe money for dinner afterwards, if you like to socialize.  The bus will take you back to the pickup point either way.

5 hours ago, moontang said:

At least they weren't Amazon resellers.  Seems like a good starting point of people to avoid is those who are too cool to have a mobile phone, almost as bad as the iPhone 13 guys.  The self proclaimed experts on everything Buddha are about as interesting as white pain drying.  I don't mind the stock market experts, because it is too easy for me to tell, who the pretenders are.  

I feel your white pain drying.

4 hours ago, JimGant said:

must of missed that headline. Could you elaborate/provide a link? Thanx.

It's a no brainer...government mandated all public government/military hospitals to increase their fees for foreigners seeking healthcare...a two tier system...a procedure for a Thai will stay same while expats will pay higher rates for same procedure...

Now put in play mandatory healthcare insurance...you might want to quibble about who is required to purchase insurance at this time...later it is almost certain that everyone...all ages will have to show healthcare coverage to obtain visas and extensions...

Add the two together...increase cost for those using what was once the cheaper hospitals...mandatory insurance coverage...add a little greed and corruption and "wa-la"...healthcare coverage will send many expats packing...those that stay will pay for the privilege of keep your money in a Thai bank...

You can google Thai healthcare for expats...many threads this year... 

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

later it is almost certain that everyone...all ages will have to show healthcare coverage to obtain visas and extensions...

Agreed. I'm sure my Tricare will be acceptable. As far as military/gov't hospital rates going up -- I guess since I use Bangkok Hospital (private), I won't notice any increase. Still pretty darn cheap compared to the rates charged in US hospitals. My main concern is that Tricare coverage will come in for a haircut from Congress.....

Archived