BANGKOK
toast1

Change coolant in radiator

Can I just drain the radiator and then put in coolant and water? 
Videos on YouTube instruct me to drain water from the engine, but that's too much for me.

Is it harmful for me to just drain the radiator, fill up, then run the engine 20min to get the bubbles out?

Thanks

Yes.

Draining the complete system is the best way.

You will need to make sure that you use the correct antifreeze for your engine.

Yes, run the engine for a period after a refilling and then top up that will also  help to mix up whatever is in the system.

Normally, you would use a 50-50 mixture so you will not know what the mixture strength is. Unless you’ drain the whole system and start again.

Of course if you drain the radiator by removing the bottom hose from it you will more than likely drain the whole system anyway.

Edited by JAS21

If you take off the lowest end of the bottom radiator hose most of all the water from the engine and rad will come out. Buy cans of mixed water and antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor to refill..

• Like 1

Genuine Nissan is circa 1000 Bht a Gallon . Ford n BMW , much the same about 1250 ish.Hondas dont leak , so no idea..🤠[emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 minutes ago, alan grice said:

Genuine Nissan is circa 1000 Bht a Gallon . Ford n BMW , much the same about 1250 ish.Hondas dont leak , so no idea..🤠emoji481.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think a can of antifreeze is a little cheaper .......

How often should this be done? my Nissan Sylphy is 3 years old having done 39,000 kms and the fluid in the expansion tank looks the same as it was when I first bought the car,never needed as yet to be "topped up"

40 minutes ago, petermik said:

How often should this be done? my Nissan Sylphy is 3 years old having done 39,000 kms and the fluid in the expansion tank looks the same as it was when I first bought the car,never needed as yet to be "topped up"

No ploblem....But, your handbook will quote a change period....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

No ploblem....But, your handbook will quote a change period....

actually no as I haven,t got one.....bought the car from auction (like new 800 kms on the clock, good price),sold as seen,no Nissan warranty....long story trans,had it 2 years now and it,s never skipped a beat....I do long return runs each month from Pattaya down to our house in Trang 946 kms and I,m getting 19.5 kms/litre out of it (100/105 kms/hour where I can) great car and I,ve had it serviced at a local garage (non Nissan no point) I,ll take a look at an online service schedule and see what it says.....thanks anyhow :thumbsup:

p.s. now over the 3 year warranty period anyhow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alan grice said:

Glycol died years ago, how can he replace inhibitor fluid with a top up bottle.?.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Are you saying that antifreeze it’s not 50% of what is in coolant. Have a look at the spec for say Toyota coolant. 

Of course I could be completely wrong and frequently are according to my wife

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, petermik said:

actually no as I haven,t got one.....bought the car from auction (like new 800 kms on the clock, good price),sold as seen,no Nissan warranty....long story trans,had it 2 years now and it,s never skipped a beat....I do long return runs each month from Pattaya down to our house in Trang 946 kms and I,m getting 19.5 kms/litre out of it (100/105 kms/hour where I can) great car and I,ve had it serviced at a local garage (non Nissan no point) I,ll take a look at an online service schedule and see what it says.....thanks anyhow :thumbsup:

p.s. now over the 3 year warranty period anyhow

Take your pick.....

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Nissan-999MP-L25500P-Antifreeze-Coolant/dp/B00AKYOOYY

Thanks for the information.

I haven't had a radiator leak since the 80's, on my old Datsun.

My car is 15 years old, so I thought I aught to do this.

I'll just drain it, then fill it, then run the engine for 20 minutes and top up.

Is this the right way to do it?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, toast1 said:

Thanks for the information.

I haven't had a radiator leak since the 80's, on my old Datsun.

My car is 15 years old, so I thought I aught to do this.

I'll just drain it, then fill it, then run the engine for 20 minutes and top up.

Is this the right way to do it?

Thanks

Just fill it up slowly so the air comes out, when it settles down put the rad cap on and fill the expansion bottle/tank with the same stuff to the max mark, start the engine and let it do it's thing, air should be forced out, then top up, but don't top up when hot as you may get blasted with hot water....

PS. If the rad does not have a rad cap there should be a bung on top that unscrews to let air out..

Edited by transam

Are you saying that antifreeze it’s not 50% of what is in coolant. Have a look at the spec for say Toyota coolant. 

Of course I could be completely wrong and frequently are according to my wife

Ill ask My Wife , then we both can be right.!. i do know Audi Coolant in the US is about the same price as Remy M Brandy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app