Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

webfact

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Then why don't you change your visa from a Non-Imm "O-A" visa to a Non-Imm "O" visa with an extension based on either retirement with the same financial requirements but they must be in a Thai Bank Account or an extension based on marriage if you are married which carries a smaller financial requirement but then again it must be in a Thai Bank Account and there is no insurance required so you would not need to change your insurance cover. A lot of farangs opted for the "O-A" Visa because they did not want to put their money into a Thai bank account. Now they have given you a choice of either buy a health insurance through Thailand or open a Thai Bank Account and change your visa. What ever way it goes your money will come into Thailand. The choice is yours on what way that will happen. 

Ok, all good. I don't think you understood my underlying point.

It's not about a OA visa ... it's now. Tomorrow it's all OA plus all over 50, in three month is everyone. No matter what O type visa and/or extension you have.

Am I the only one having these kind of visions in front of me?

Why should I start to plan the future and change my current, completely legal visa and health insurance company ... everything is running fine as it is right now.

It's just another quirky immi requirement on top of already so many ... (i.e. 24h travel plan to other provinces?) ... it's getting all a bit too silly if you ask me.

13 hours ago, 300sd said:

Underlying message continues: Expats not wanted here. 

Correct. Chinese are the wanted ones . 

Chinese language is now being encouraged ,  to learn in junior schools .

The great white hunters from the west , big money .

Now History ..

I must admit I haven't read everyone's comments, so excuse me if this has been suggested

Perhaps the Government could instruct us to "open" and lodge our mandatory B 800,000 into the Government Bank of Thailand (with of course the current interest) , rather than we keeping it in our usual bank, 

This would then give them peace of mind to know that we "do" actually have sufficient funds for living here, and emergencies 

If they require the suggested B400,000 for medical emergencies (if they are not taking into account the 800k) then I would be more than happy to lodge that also, rather than pay an annual "non returnable" fee to an insurance company 

Recently I did get a quote......£5,000 p.a......outrageous and unacceptable

Throughout the close to 10 years I have been living here I have always used BHP, and never imposed on Thailands Health system

Rant/Suggestion over.......... Not that the people who need our ideas and guidance read this

4 minutes ago, RedPill said:

It's not about a OA visa ... it's now. Tomorrow it's all OA plus all over 50, in three month is everyone. No matter what O type visa and/or extension you have.

Maybe you should broaden your vision to include the possibility that all they are interested in is to get your money into Thailand either by a health insurance policy or by the financial requirements that are already in place on the Non-Imm "O" visa with the extension based on retirement

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

Maybe you should broaden your vision to include the possibility that all they are interested in is to get your money into Thailand either by a health insurance policy or by the financial requirements that are already in place on the Non-Imm "O" visa with the extension based on retirement

My vision is already broadened to exactly what you say in your post. 

I just speak it out loud and name it what I think it is ...

12 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Then why don't you change your visa from a Non-Imm "O-A" visa to a Non-Imm "O" visa with an extension based on either retirement with the same financial requirements but they must be in a Thai Bank Account or an extension based on marriage if you are married which carries a smaller financial requirement but then again it must be in a Thai Bank Account and there is no insurance required so you would not need to change your insurance cover. A lot of farangs opted for the "O-A" Visa because they did not want to put their money into a Thai bank account. Now they have given you a choice of either buy a health insurance through Thailand or open a Thai Bank Account and change your visa. What ever way it goes your money will come into Thailand. The choice is yours on what way that will happen. 

And the 1.5 percent interest is better than most banks overseas.

31 minutes ago, RedPill said:

The issue is, when one thing kicks off ... good chance it will go through, in all directions of Immi-O visas, incl. extensions, and then putting an age on it, as well. Over 50. Not only OA!

You can put one piece on another, then another piece, and another one ... as long as everything fits, you are fine.

Until it hits everybody at one point in time.

I'm not sure myself, I got a Thai health insurance with Axa, now Aetna, for many years here.

Ok & good cover ... helped my family a lot, 1 or 2 nights in a Hospital, 60k, no problem.

All reimbursed. No questions asked.

But it's only for Inpatients ... I've always forked out those few thousands for a day visit myself. No issue.

If there is something serious, they love to keep you overnight anyways. It's a win/win for everyone, myself and incl. the Hospital.

Now, I have to a) upgrade my insurance to cover outpatients to 40k, and b) don't even know whether Aetna is part of the accepted list, or do I need to give up my years of good history package and go to a 'pre-selected' new insurance company just to fulfill immigration rules? 

Just one example. It's all a little bit too much enforced and over the top.

And not even to speak about long term stay Farangs who have a much better insurance abroad, covering a lot more and much better.

They will not be accepted?

Come on, that complete thing just doesn't small good ... we all need health insurance, yes, but not enforced in this way!

Who forced you to apply for the O-A visa? 

19 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

You are rambling now. Topic is Thai hospital payment practices I just gave you an example how I was not treated, before I made full payment. I was in no position to skip the bill. I don't know anyone who has ran from a hospital without paying, this woukd be a crime, a criminal offence, and if not earlier, attempting to leave Thailand, person would be arrested, and prosecuted. 

Again, so we don't get off the track,  foreigners are not a burden on Thai health care, since foreigner is not treated before payment. 

That's not the topic at all. The topic is the requirement for certain visa holders to have insurance. Nothing to do with hospitals at all. Pay attention.

24 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Why should I start to plan the future and change my current, completely legal visa and health insurance company ... everything is running fine as it is right now.

It's just another quirky immi requirement on top of already so many ... (i.e. 24h travel plan to other provinces?) ... it's getting all a bit too silly if you ask me.

Yes you are the only one. The rest of us will sit back and calmly assess the situation when and if if it develops.

May I ask what visa/extension of stay you currently possess? Who is your current health insurance provider?

33 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Who forced you to apply for the O-A visa? 

Sorry, no. I talk the bigger expat story ... today it's O-A, tomorrow all Immi O's, plus extension.

You know how this works.

Yesterday it was O-A

Today it was the risk group over 50 ...

... and tomorrow?

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

Yes you are the only one. The rest of us will sit back and calmly assess the situation when and if if it develops.

Ok, good. 

That does amaze me a bit actually. Then I haven't said anything for now and keep it quiet.

29 minutes ago, elliss said:

Correct. Chinese are the wanted ones . 

Chinese language is now being encouraged ,  to learn in junior schools .

The great white hunters from the west , big money .

Now History ..

Not in the schools the wifes grandkids go to. They are encouraged to take extra English lessons. Working out very well so far. Not aware of anyone teaching or learning Chinese.

Perhaps another legend from the barstools of Pattaya and Patong?? Must be true.

The way that I see it is that they changed the financial requirements for the "O" visa extensions recently so that both the marriage and the retirement extensions had to have their money in a Thai bank account, they also increased the time frame for the money in the bank for the retirement extension 800,000 baht for 5 months and 400,000 baht for the remaining 7 months but they could not change the amount of money required for the O-A visa 800,000 baht or force the issue about it being in a Thai bank account. So by instigating this insurance issue it is forcing those on the O-A visa to either put their money into a health insurance that is in Thailand or changing their visa to an "O" visa and putting their money into a Thai bank account

9 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

May I ask what visa/extension of stay you currently possess?

It was the Department of Health that came up with the idea about a mandatory health insurance for O-A visa holders, not Immigration. 

13 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I never worry about things in the future. That's for pessimists. 

lol, yes, I have always been one ... a positive guy.

It's just all the things are starting to pile up ... whether you like it or not.

I've just asked my wife, who has lived with me abroad in different countries. 'Ok, getting in was not always easy!'

"But once in ... did you had to?":

- Report every 90 days? No

- Report every 24 hours going somewhere else? No

- Got immigration officers coming to our house to take picture? No

- Needed a certain amount of money fixed in your account you can't really touch? No

- Needed to buy an exit/re-entry stamp to leave the country for a holiday back to Thailand and coming back? No 

- Needed a very specific health insurance to stay? No

- Could you own land? Yes

- Could you work? Yes

The list goes on and on and it all starts to pile up.

Meanwhile, I'm here always financing myself and family. Not asking any government for anything.

Sorry Max, I've always been a very positive guy in my life. But I also always have been very aware of what is going on around me and speak out about it.

Today it's just a few people, if you are not included, you don't care. But it goes on until it will hit you too, at one point in time.

22 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

When they gonna demand health checks, and 3rd party insurance of the hundreds of thousands prostitutes?

or millions of tourists?  flop the cock at passport control is taking biometrics to a new level. Syphilis..check..gonnohrea ..check..... whoa whats this...???  Get the female Io's to identify.....ok its a dick, OMG  only bigger...pass..12 month permission/compulsory stay...smiles all round and free accommodation.

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The way that I see it is that they changed the financial requirements for the "O" visa extensions recently so that both the marriage and the retirement extensions had to have their money in a Thai bank account, they also increased the time frame for the money in the bank for the retirement extension 800,000 baht for 5 months and 400,000 baht for the remaining 7 months but they could not change the amount of money required for the O-A visa 800,000 baht or force the issue about it being in a Thai bank account. So by instigating this insurance issue it is forcing those on the O-A visa to either put their money into a health insurance that is in Thailand or changing their visa to an "O" visa and putting their money into a Thai bank account

They didn't change the requirements for marriage visa holders, only for retirees with 1 year extensions. Marriage visa holders don't need to keep the money in the bank after the application.

11 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

They didn't change the requirements for marriage visa holders, only for retirees with 1 year extensions. Marriage visa holders don't need to keep the money in the bank after the application.

They changed the marriage extension requirement with the money having to be in a Thai bank, before that if you used the income method your money could be in a bank in your home country. They made it that all money for both the retirement extension and the marriage extension all the money had to be in a Thai bank whether you used the seasoned money or you used the income method. Many people opted for the "O-A" visa so that they did not have to put their money into a Thai bank account so therefore Thailand did not have control over that money.

14 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

I'm relatively certain that 80,000 number includes extensions of stay for retirement applied for within Thailand, not 80,00 new applicants for O-A visas.  Unless you think the number of retirees in Thailand doubles every year.

This report (https://news.thaivisa.com/article/38177/the-mystery-of-exactly-how-many-expats-live-in-thailand) says:

"According to figures in the 2019 Thailand Migration Report, there are just 150,707 expats residing in Thailand, of those 72,969 are retirees."

The Appletons!  Wasn't that the comic gang in the Old National Lampoon magazine?  Oh that was fun to read back in my high school and college days.

26 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

A pretty succcint summation of the situation.

Just now, Max69xl said:

You only need the 400k in the bank 2 months before applying.

Open question. What is that 400k (or 800k) supposed to be for?

IMO, it was always there to pay for your emergency here abroad to be able to cover yourself (i.e. hospital bill), book a ticket back home and you are out. Gov protected, no troublemakers.

If you now can't even touch it, because the rules changes to keep the money in the account for 6 month shifts ... for what is it?

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

You only need the 400k in the bank 2 months before applying.

That's right but ALL money must be in a Thai bank account whereas before the money on the income method could be in a bank account in your home country and not in a Thai bank account and that is what the income letters were for.

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You are just another paranoid whiner. If you are actually living in Thailand full time, why don't you leave? 

Oh stop this 'why don't you leave" thing!

If you are on that level, why even share experiences on here?

Either shut up or leave then? 

It's a discussion forum ... nothing else!

Easy ... just discuss your opinions of life in Thailand, whether it's your opinion or not.

What a disappointing quote and discussion killer to read! 

19 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If I'm not mistaken you seem to be doing a !180degree spin on you previous opinion?

Archived