Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

webfact

20 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You can only extend the O-A visa once for a length of 1 year and then you must either leave Thailand and return to your home country and apply for a new visa or you do a border crossing and get a 90 day "O" visa which is then extended with either the marriage or retirement extensions, but remember that if you convert to the "o" visa with the extensions then you must have the financials in a Thai bank, if you return to your home country then you have the financials in your home country. The special thing is that you do not have your money in a Thai bank account. Some people do not feel comfortable having their money in a Thai bank account so they opt for the "O-A" visa so now Thailand want that money here so they want you to either take out a Thai insurance policy or change your visa.

If you are retired and living in Thailand you don't think so much about having the 800k in a Thai bank. That's how paranoid people think. (If you have a pension of >65k monthly, you can use that method.) You get better interest in Thailand than in many savings accounts overseas. The Non-Immigrant O with 1 year extensions are more common than the O-A Visa and the procedure from Non-Immigrant O to a 1 year extension is quite straightforward. Plus, you don't need the police record check or a health insurance.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, illiterate said:

That is a great response. You are right, one always has choices. For example if you do not like what the govt is doing you could just off yourself (that is me demonstrating how ridiculous your statements is btw). 

Or wait here is another one that is less dark. No matter how bad govt legislation is, it does not matter right? You always have choices, like moving to Russia. 

Your argument is unsound. 

You're a bit paranoid,don't you think? Stay back home, that's my advice to you. Then you can bitch about your own government. 

It isn't as simple anymore as simply leaving on an O-A on or after the 31st October and expect to stamped back in for another 12 months.
The order quite plainly lays out how second and subsequent entry's will be dealt with. They will run concurrently alongside the Insurance valid till date. You only have 5 months left on a valid insurance, you get stamped in for 5 months. Your Insurance has expired, your not coming in until you have purchased insurance.
Section 4 of the Police order is particularly Interesting

Insurance OA.jpg

36 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Yes, you extend a O-A with another year, same as a O visa.

The O-A after 1 years minimum. The O you can extend after 3 month already. Both have this ability. 

That's only about the timing, but you can put in the 'extension' for both.

My point was ... if a pre-requirement for a 'possible longer term O-A type extension', into marriage or retirement ... why not then apply the same minimum health insurance rules the the extensions as well?

And that's where my suspicion and thinking comes from. 

If you could 'not' extend an O-A to an O extension ... then it's ok, the chain is broken!

But it's not .. you can extend an O-A to O extension ... so why not apply the same minimum health rules later to O as well?

That's my point, if you understand or makes sense, I don't know. That's my logical thinking forward and expect Thai immi go to ... wouldn't surprise me.

"The O-A after 1 years minimum. The O you can extend after 3 month already. Both have this ability."

You seem a bit confused. With the O-A visa you get 1 year from day one. The 1 year extension based on retirement starts with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O based on retirement. After 60 days you extend it 1 year.

You can not change from an O-A to an O by doing an extension. You have to start all over. 

21 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You can not change from an O-A to an O by doing an extension. You have to start all over.

Great, that was the final piece of my puzzle I wanted to know.

If you can't get an O-A extended into either a marriage or retirement extension, then the chain is broking.

No need to carry on the health insurance requirements into O.

That is a good thing, then I'm more relaxed about it now.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

The obsession with peanuts is slightly amusing. It is equivalent to 6,000B per non-imm visa applicant, and likely fewer than 750 meaningful hospital bills. But hey...

I really find it hard to believe. How on earth do long term residents think that they can get away with not paying their hospital bills, especially with the TM30 in full swing. Also, it is common practice with hospitals not to let anyone leave without paying their bill. What fool came up with this idea, just another Thai government whoop to jump through. Already two of my long term friends have packed up and moved to Viet Nam with no regrets.

35 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It isn't as simple anymore as simply leaving on an O-A on or after the 31st October and expect to stamped back in for another 12 months.
The order quite plainly lays out how second and subsequent entry's will be dealt with. They will run concurrently alongside the Insurance valid till date. You only have 5 months left on a valid insurance, you get stamped in for 5 months. Your Insurance has expired, your not coming in until you have purchased insurance.
Section 4 of the Police order is particularly Interesting

Insurance OA.jpg

Don't they have the ability to find out if any particular person who has been living here for many years, has not payed hospital bills.

1 minute ago, RedPill said:

Great, that was the final piece of my puzzle I wanted to know.

If you can't get an O-A extended into either a marriage or retirement extension, then the chain is broking. No need to carry on the health insurance requirements into O.

That is a good thing, then I'm more relaxed about it now.

Thanks!

With the new requirements for the O-A visa from I think April this year, it's in my opinion better to start with the 90 days Non-Immigrant O incl.the 1 year extension. That is, if you have the 800k, of course, or use the >65k monthly method. The extension cost 1900 baht/year.

5 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I really find it hard to believe. How on earth do long term residents think that they can get away with not paying their hospital bills, especially with the TM30 in full swing. Also, it is common practice with hospitals not to let anyone leave without paying their bill. What fool came up with this idea, just another Thai government whoop to jump through. Already two of my long term friends have packed up and moved to Viet Nam with no regrets.

Who said that long term residents didn't pay their hospital bills? Most of the unpaid bills comes from tourists without travel insurances using government hospitals. 

5 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Don't they have the ability to find out if any particular person who has been living here for many years, has not payed hospital bills.

Of course if they asked for some sort of ID at the hospital. Most of the unpaid bills comes from tourists without travel insurances using government hospitals.

18 hours ago, zyphodb said:

I'd say what else is in play is someone/s very high up have decided that they dont want a retired ex-pat population here anymore and are looking at any way to make this happen without coming right out and saying it. 

That's why theres the ridiculous 40,000 Bhts outpatiants clause in it, to push up the premiums to hights which most people will refuse to pay. Also the TM30 nonsense, all part of the plan... ???? 

The Thai government are doing their hardest to get rid of us that's for sure.

21 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I do not have a problem requiring visitors to have health insurance; it is simply a good idea.

However, the quote above leaves me speechless. Are there any valid figures to show a lack of repayment? Especially by long-stayers? Generally all I hear about are tourists, not long-term stayers, who don't have insurance and end up with a 'Go fund me' page.

Add a few Baht tax to all plane tickets/landings, use the money to aid foreigners hurt in the Kingdom, and problem solved.

It doesn't need to occur like this, and thus makes me wonder what else is at play...

Have they really thought this through or is it just another incompetent knee jerk idea.

I got lots of information by page 16.

I gave up after that,

I formed the view that we all are starting to know what we dont want to know.

And that is that we are living in a State run by Nationalists that are becoming more 'ultra' by the month.

I say 'month' because a new Edict is handed down lately pretty much EVERY month !

And  one of the earmarks of Nationalists Governments  throughout history - has been to overly focus on "evil" foreign influences 'despoiling ' all the good work the Nationalist COULD have done , but for evil  ;others' .

I dont forsee anything progerrive voming from this ,

;OUR Nations Wealth ' 

e

17 hours ago, 300sd said:

Underlying message continues: Expats not wanted here. 

The big problem here is that many of us have got family commitments, especially after living here for many years. Has the government taken this into consideration.

6 hours ago, zydeco said:

Unfortunately, the US Embassy is probably laughing at us. This means less work for them. the repatriation of retirement funds into US banks, and then they can get back to colluding with regional dictators, depots, and tyrants without a squeak from the expat community here.

If you can not afford Health Insurance and your in Thailand....or anywhere else in the World away from your home country...then reality says....you should not be there.

Its simple really.

21 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I do not have a problem requiring visitors to have health insurance; it is simply a good idea.

However, the quote above leaves me speechless. Are there any valid figures to show a lack of repayment? Especially by long-stayers? Generally all I hear about are tourists, not long-term stayers, who don't have insurance and end up with a 'Go fund me' page.

Add a few Baht tax to all plane tickets/landings, use the money to aid foreigners hurt in the Kingdom, and problem solved.

It doesn't need to occur like this, and thus makes me wonder what else is at play...

Correct long term visitors are insurance wise Less risky then short term staying tourists.

So i wondering also why again the focus is wrongly selected.

17 hours ago, xerostar said:

Compare that paltry sum with the real figures of what foreigners bring to Thailand every year.

I for one have brought many millions of baht into Thai economy over the last 10 years.

I expect most other foreigner retirees would have done the same !

I see this health insurance demand as xenophobic nonsense ! 

Well there goes my retirement home, the Thai family will have to put up with it i suppose, plans are going in the bin.

7 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Well there goes my retirement home, the Thai family will have to put up with it i suppose, plans are going in the bin.

If you have an O-A visa you can always change to an O by starting all over. You already have the money in the bank, I presume? Are you married?

17 hours ago, davemos said:

Its near to impossible to find health insurance for over 70. I have sufficient assets to cover any emergency and am not prepared to pay huge.amounts for dodgy insurance .I spend well over 10000 per week in Thai So Im in the risky sector?

Why can't the Thai government offer a reasonable insurance for those over a certain age, say 70 yrs. This will cover the practically impossible chance of cover by insurance companies for over 70's.

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

This thread is only 22 hours old. It must have been a fast trip. 

Yes very fast there and back on business...you maybe aware from my prev forum posts i lived in Bkk but now back in UK till Xmas

4 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I had a Cataract removed at Bumrumgrad  a few years ago  and there was a hell of a lot of Arabs moving around in the hospital.

Of course, the hospitals love international health insurance cards of medic tourists from Arab countries ... I had one before and you should have seen the bill for a 4 day hospital stay without surgery ... hilarious. 

But, that's not really the topic, these Arabs you talk about don't live or stay here long term on a O-A or O visa ...

17 hours ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Didn't they already do that?  I faintly recall some amount being added to the tax of flight tickets a while back.  Is it time for another go at the trough?

does anyone recall a tax being added already to cover medical emergency

Would that have been when they dropped the Bht 500 departure tax, however don't remind them or they will bring it back.

16 hours ago, yahboo11 said:

Trump did the exact same thing in the States. Immigrants require to demonstrate they have health insurance. In the States, health insurance is very expensive

Yes but they were really getting ripped off big time, no such thing is happening here.

I knew this was coming, a little surprised how fast it was implemented. Insurance company’s are the richest companies in the world. The banks are getting away with highway robbery, now the insurance company’s will get in on it BIG TIME. The amount of money this will generate will be astronomical. Wow!

Anyone thinking this has anything to do with the hospitals loosing money to foreigners is in Lala land. This is just another lobbying coup.  

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Every expat spend more money in 12 months, than a tourist does in a few weeks. 

Yet there are 35 million tourists annually and around 74,000 full time expats, you do the math.

Look up GDP, expats contribute ~ .01%.  Tourism in 2016 contributed 17% of GDP, 2.5 Trillion Baht.

3 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Would that have been when they dropped the Bht 500 departure tax, however don't remind them or they will bring it back.

They didn't drop it they increased it to 700 and added it to the ticket!

That money seems to have gone into somebody's slush fund!

Posted this elsewhere but seems to fit here as well:

"The minister’s comments suggested that the insurance requirement for non-immigrant visas was being extended now to include all foreigners over 50 whereas previously it was understood from briefings by immigration bureau officials that the new provision only applied to retirees in Thailand.

Many foreigners over 50 in Thailand were left confused and perplexed on Thursday after a Reuters report quoted the Thai Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha as suggesting that the insurance requirement approved by the Thai cabinet this year and later confirmed by immigration bureau officials as referring to retirement visas for the over 50s, is now being widened to cover all foreigners over 50 with other forms of non-immigrant visas."

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/10/10/foreigners-insurance-visa-requirements-over-50s-thai-deputy-public-health-minister-sathit-pitutecha/

•  

Archived