Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

webfact

12 minutes ago, ChrissUdon said:

And then there's pre-existing conditions which will never be covered. Personally the chances of me needing a long term hospital stay would pretty much be related to pre-existing. 50kbht + pa wasted on a health policy that I couldn't use. If 'risky' persons, of which I'm one, are to foot these so called unpaid bills how about letting me legally pay into the Thai health system as a requirement for my long stay and of course have the use of the service as a Thai.

Because then they could not charge you triple the cost and would have to charge you same as a Thai person. They lose money alot

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes another reason for me to continue packing my bags. This place has really gone to the dogs these past few years and now all this as well. I suppose to make it here I need to import heroin into Australia to show my good standing and Thai values.

2 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

I'm relatively certain that 80,000 number includes extensions of stay for retirement applied for within Thailand, not 80,00 new applicants for O-A visas.  Unless you think the number of retirees in Thailand doubles every year.

This report (https://news.thaivisa.com/article/38177/the-mystery-of-exactly-how-many-expats-live-in-thailand) says:

"According to figures in the 2019 Thailand Migration Report, there are just 150,707 expats residing in Thailand, of those 72,969 are retirees."

150,707 seems like a very low number to me..

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

19 year old drunk holiday maker on an uninsured motorbike.

I think when he said "Risky", he meant to say "Frisky" which makes more sense.

Sure it is up to a Country to make their Rules and Laws, but normally it is done with some form of Common Sense. Not like a herd of Buffalo's in a China Shop.

But like they say S*** Rolls down hill, and the Stink is driving many away.

So now we have the Land Of Stink to deal with.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

So when this stupidity and paranoia ends? this government is going from the silly to the ridiculous, let the government tell us how many non-o visa holders have treated in Thai hospitals and didn't had the money to pay, numbers and figures please real figures, not made up ones, i have been here for 35 years and i don't know any long term staying foreigners  that has been treated in a hospital and got away without paying...

Absolutely correct..!!! As previously mentioned, I would think the majority of the unpaid medical expenses come from short term tourists but of course the government dare not admit this as it would hurt their beloved Chinese & Indian tourist trade if it was made for all tourists.

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

Define 'risky'...

Older, BMI over 30 (obese), smokers, drinkers, mongers. 

The Kingdom should also require travellers insurance for all tourists IMO. 

The Chinese and Indians in Pattaya are some of the most unaware, naive, and mindless foreigners I have ever witnessed

If/when the hospitals in Thailand advise of the amount of money they make from those pesky foreigners over 50 (and given the hospitals even have the government's blessing to charge those foreigners more than locals), their alleged claim of "losing" $16 million would be laughable.

42 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

what about if you already have a non O and are going for married or retirement extension, are they going to want to see insurance for that? if so, i think my days here full time are over.

I was wondering the same thing as I am contemplating going from a retirement extension to a marriage visa. 

I had hernia sugery at a Thai government hospital in 2016. I was asked to pay a cash deposit to cover estimated costs. On the day I was to be discharged my bill was reviewed. I received a small rebate as my deposit exceeded the actual cost of the hospital stay. Is this done often? I thought that was a good idea as an alternative to insurance requirements.

My passport showed I had a one year visa as I was employed at the time of the surgery.

It’s pretty clear to me that someone in government has a stake in the health insurance industry and is simply drumming up business for it. I am 100% sure the majority of the unpaid bills by expats are those of tourists wheeled into emergency unconscious or need of immediate medical attention which then default on payment due to no physical funds or holiday travel insurance. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out for retirees. I’m pretty sure some genius is going to come up with a plan to issue false health insurance to satisfy the requirement. Are they going to set the amount you need to be insured for? Too many questions unanswered.

48 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

what about if you already have a non O and are going for married or retirement extension, are they going to want to see insurance for that? if so, i think my days here full time are over.

can anyone answer my question above, i just googled it and not clear at all

23 minutes ago, ChrissUdon said:

Personally the chances of me needing a long term hospital stay would pretty much be related to pre-existing. 50kbht + pa wasted on a health policy that I couldn't use.

I agree.  Same situation here, if I end up in the hospital likely pre-existing and not covered with insurance.

The money I spend on health insurance would better put to use improving Thai women's livelihoods in the here and now.  

1 minute ago, Dukeleto said:

It’s pretty clear to me that someone in government has a stake in the health insurance industry and is simply drumming up business for it. I am 100% sure the majority of the unpaid bills by expats are those of tourists wheeled into emergency unconscious or need of immediate medical attention which then default on payment due to no physical funds or holiday travel insurance. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out for retirees. I’m pretty sure some genius is going to come up with a plan to issue false health insurance to satisfy the requirement. Are they going to set the amount you need to be insured for? Too many questions unanswered.

They have already set the minimum insurance requirement - 400K THB for inpatient and 40K for outpatient costs.

I suspect a large percentage of the "burden" is caused by fit young farangs falling off motor bikes or getting beaten senseless after an altercation in a bar. I think these numbers would far outweigh the occasional old fella who's ticker played up.

With this said, I agree that medical insurance should be mandatory for all. 

Compulsory insurance required for retirement visas and renewals from this point

The Health Department Support services boss explained that compulsory health insurance would now be a requirement for new Non Immigrant type O-A visa applications and renewals or extensions of stay. 

from here https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/05/14/health-insurance-foreigners-thailand-thai-government-visa-retirement-compulsory-foreign-men/

looks like this may be the last straw for me, i don't want to spend thousands on something i don't need

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Immigration police data shows Thailand has received more than 80,000 applications for non-immigrant visas so far this year.

I doubt 80k long term visas makes up 0.5% of the hospital bills for tourisms 30 million or whatever !!! Most expats live quiet lives and don't gamble their lives on mad adventures like tourists ! 

This mandatory online Thai insurance, TM30 fines, 3 price hospital charges for foreigners is a massive scam. Would not be surprised there is massive kickbacks and collusion. Thais are not happy with this government too.   They (government) are very nervous now. Is a revolution, coup, whatever, coming soon?  

Compare that paltry sum with the real figures of what foreigners bring to Thailand every year.

I for one have brought many millions of baht into Thai economy over the last 10 years.

I expect most other foreigner retirees would have done the same !

I see this health insurance demand as xenophobic nonsense ! 

I broken my leg in Pattaya playing softball and went to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, I got a quote for the operation when the results of the x-rays came back and negotiated the price down to Bt52,000 and had to pay by credit card before the operation. I would find it hard to believe anyone gets free medical treatment in Thailand.

They did do a great job.

And if you are over 70 and cannot get medical insurance, will we be kicked out the Country? I have been here 25 years and always paid my medical bills out of pocket including one at B1 Million 6 years ago in Australia. The premiums are too high and the insurance companies do not cover all the costs as there is always a maximum per item such as I.C.U. costs. In my case BUPA would only have covered B92,000 against my B1 Million medical expense. In any case the travel insurance I had from Jardine's turned out not to cover my illness although the infection came from an injury on a Thai Airways flight to Brisbane. I do not know any of my friends who have had cancer treatment, had pacemakers fitted, hospital treatment etc who have not paid their medical expenses out of pocket and none of them could afford medical insurance. I know the minister personally and I doubt whether he would have medical insurance either, as he is a Baht Billionaire. All that should be required is proof that you have sufficient funds to cover around B1 Million of medical expenses if you do not have medical insurance.

I’ve just renewed my extension... so I’m guessing that I don’t have to show this ( health insurance) on my 90 day reporting , and hopefully when I leave the country and return on my multi entries ? 
I took out a life insurance policy with Bangkok bank 4 years ago 

25,000 a year . And have accident insurance . 
none of these count I guess ..  so it looks like this is my last year 

OR if I use an agent for my extensions , I won’t have to worry about anything, other than the 15-16,000 bht to pay the agent yearly . 

Do expats go to government hospitals?   By the looks of them I will stick with private.  The outpatient requirement in this proposal is what I am not happy about as I only need insurance for what I don’t want to pay out of pocket.  And what I need Outpatient care for is pre-existing so insurance is  another financial burden.  

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I would be quite happy to see changes in the rules to ensure that Thais pay for any treatment they receive in the UK and don't get free treatment like pretty much everyone else in the world.

I know they pay nothing right now.

I wonder how much free treatment Thais get over in Europe per year and how that figure compares to this paltry sum?

Rules are already in place to require that non UK resident patients, including tourists and visiting expats, requiring non life threatening medical treatment are charged for their treatment by NHS Trusts. Enforcement is of course another issue and varies from Trust to Trust, though a visa national skipping a bill can be refused a further visa until the bill is paid.

You'll be aware that those seeking settlement in the UK have to pay a surcharge of £400 a year to cover any chargeable NHS treatment up until they're given Indefinate Leave to Remain.

Thai people visiting Europe require evidence of medical insurance before a visa is issued.   

14 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I think that's a myth. I have only heard of one person who came here specifically for med reasons. How many do you know of??

I only know of one dentistry case. 

Just now, theoldgit said:

Rules are already in place to require that non UK resident patients, including tourists and visiting expats, requiring non life threatening medical treatment are charged for their treatment by NHS Trusts. Enforcement is of course another issue and varies from Trust to Trust, though a visa national skipping a bill can be refused a further visa until the bill is paid.

You'll be aware that those seeking settlement in the UK have to pay a surcharge of £400 a year to cover any chargeable NHS treatment up until they're given Indefinate Leave to Remain.

Thai people visiting Europe require evidence of medical insurance before a visa is issued.   

My girlfriend didn’t ..  and got a visa , no problem 

Archived