Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

webfact

43 minutes ago, CLS said:

Right, but Thais and all the foreign apologists believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's still only for O-A Visas,and it's  not the most common visa for retirees. They can start all over with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa with 1 year extensions when their present O-A expires. Not to much work if they don't have the money for the insurance. 

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Effective: 31 October 2019 your require a health insurance to cover a whole trip)

1. Requirements for Obtaining a One-year “O-A” Visa
  • The applicant must be 50 years of age or older by the date of application
  • Applicants cannot be prohibited from entering the Kingdom
  • Applicants must having no criminal record against the security of Thailand or the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.
  • Applicants must be of the nationality or resident in the country where his/her application is submitted.
  • Applicants must not have prohibitive diseases as indicated in Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535).
  • Applicants can not be allowed to work in Thailand
  • The Consulate will be issue multiple entry visa only

2. Documents Required to Apply for a One-Year “O-A” Visa

• A passport valid for no less than one year and a half at the time of application
  • Two passport-sized photos of the applicant taken within the past six months
  • Two original of “Visa Application Forms”. Applicant’s signature must be notarized either by a lawyer or notary public.
  • One original personal data form entitled “Additional Visa Application Form for O-A Long Stay”  Applicant’s signature must be notarized either by a lawyer or notary public.
  • Medical Certificate issued from the country in which the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (this certificate shall be valid for no more than 3 months). This must be stamped by a medical doctor.
  • A bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (original copy) indicating a monthly income of no less than 65,000 Baht. Alternatively, applicants can make a deposit and provide an income certificate indicating a total income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year. All financial statement must have the signature of the bank officer and stamped. Any bank statements require a letter of guarantee from the bank (original copy) as well.
  • A criminal record check indicating that the applicant has no criminal record in the country of his/her nationality or residence (this document must be valid for no more than 3 months).
  • In the case that the applicant wishes to be accompanied by his/her spouse but the spouse does not meet the requirements for the O-A Visa, a marriage certificate shall also be included in the application package (The spouse will be considered for the Visa for Temporary Residents under the ‘O’ Code).
  • Health insurance plan as listed on website http://longstay.tgia.org. Coverage requirements for outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 bahts and inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 bahts.

3. Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom (very important)

• Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.
  • The alien shall report to the competent authority after 90 days in the Kingdom, and report every 90 days thereafter with the immigration officer in the alien’s residence area, or report to the police station in the alien’s residence area if there is no immigration control there. (In order to report to the competent authority by mail, the alien shall do as follows: Forward the Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien’s photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp and include a self addressed envelop with sufficient postage affixed. This must be forwarded 7 days before the due date. This package should be mailed to the Immigration Bureau, 507 Soi SuanPlu, Sathon Tai Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120.
  • At the end of the one-year stay, a visitor who wishes to extend his/her stay must submit a request to extend the period at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in the Kingdom, or an income certificate, of the amount of no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income certificate plus a deposit account indicating a total amount of no less than 800,000 Baht a year. In the case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.) Copies of any previous such Reports should also be included.
  • If the visitor’s spouse wishes to extend his/her stay as well, the marriage certificate must be produced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just got off the phone with the consulate in Vancouver, Canada.  Their directions from the mothership in Bangkok is to continue to issue the one year non imm OA as they have in  the past.  After October 31st, applications will have to have the proof of insurance form included.

I did inquire about my particular situation i.e. I have my visa now but I'm not entering the kingdom until December 1.  The consulates directions from the embassy are that as long as the issued date is prior to October 31st the visa is valid.

He agreed that the enthusiasm of IOs' at the airport of entry may lead them to a different conclusion than the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and suggested that I call back in early November when this circumstance should be clarified. 

25 minutes ago, Puccini said:

This new insurance requirement, as it currently stands (Police Order), does not apply to you.

And every invited Thai person visiting countries within the EU needs a travel insurance. No insurance,no Visa. 

6 minutes ago, ourdon said:

(Effective: 31 October 2019 your require a health insurance to cover a whole trip)

1. Requirements for Obtaining a One-year “O-A” Visa
  • The applicant must be 50 years of age or older by the date of application
  • Applicants cannot be prohibited from entering the Kingdom
  • Applicants must having no criminal record against the security of Thailand or the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.
  • Applicants must be of the nationality or resident in the country where his/her application is submitted.
  • Applicants must not have prohibitive diseases as indicated in Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535).
  • Applicants can not be allowed to work in Thailand
  • The Consulate will be issue multiple entry visa only

2. Documents Required to Apply for a One-Year “O-A” Visa

• A passport valid for no less than one year and a half at the time of application
  • Two passport-sized photos of the applicant taken within the past six months
  • Two original of “Visa Application Forms”. Applicant’s signature must be notarized either by a lawyer or notary public.
  • One original personal data form entitled “Additional Visa Application Form for O-A Long Stay”  Applicant’s signature must be notarized either by a lawyer or notary public.
  • Medical Certificate issued from the country in which the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (this certificate shall be valid for no more than 3 months). This must be stamped by a medical doctor.
  • A bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (original copy) indicating a monthly income of no less than 65,000 Baht. Alternatively, applicants can make a deposit and provide an income certificate indicating a total income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year. All financial statement must have the signature of the bank officer and stamped. Any bank statements require a letter of guarantee from the bank (original copy) as well.
  • A criminal record check indicating that the applicant has no criminal record in the country of his/her nationality or residence (this document must be valid for no more than 3 months).
  • In the case that the applicant wishes to be accompanied by his/her spouse but the spouse does not meet the requirements for the O-A Visa, a marriage certificate shall also be included in the application package (The spouse will be considered for the Visa for Temporary Residents under the ‘O’ Code).
  • Health insurance plan as listed on website http://longstay.tgia.org. Coverage requirements for outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 bahts and inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 bahts.

3. Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom (very important)

• Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.
  • The alien shall report to the competent authority after 90 days in the Kingdom, and report every 90 days thereafter with the immigration officer in the alien’s residence area, or report to the police station in the alien’s residence area if there is no immigration control there. (In order to report to the competent authority by mail, the alien shall do as follows: Forward the Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien’s photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp and include a self addressed envelop with sufficient postage affixed. This must be forwarded 7 days before the due date. This package should be mailed to the Immigration Bureau, 507 Soi SuanPlu, Sathon Tai Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120.
  • At the end of the one-year stay, a visitor who wishes to extend his/her stay must submit a request to extend the period at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in the Kingdom, or an income certificate, of the amount of no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income certificate plus a deposit account indicating a total amount of no less than 800,000 Baht a year. In the case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.) Copies of any previous such Reports should also be included.
  • If the visitor’s spouse wishes to extend his/her stay as well, the marriage certificate must be produced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just got off the phone with the consulate in Vancouver, Canada.  Their directions from the mothership in Bangkok is to continue to issue the one year non imm OA as they have in  the past.  After October 31st, applications will have to have the proof of insurance form included.

I did inquire about my particular situation i.e. I have my visa now but I'm not entering the kingdom until December 1.  The consulates directions from the embassy are that as long as the issued date is prior to October 31st the visa is valid.

He agreed that the enthusiasm of IOs' at the airport of entry may lead them to a different conclusion than the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and suggested that I call back in early November when this circumstance should be clarified. 

There's a police order released in April for Immigration to follow. It's even more accurate than your explanation from the embassy. 

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

All the changes? Just one change about the financial requirements for the >800k in the bank method,

and now one for retirees on O-A visas. I wouldn't call that many changes. 

Nonsense, you could have 100  million in the bank outside of Thailand  but unless you bring that  set amount 40-80k into an account EVERY  month without fail you wont get the visa..... miss by  a  few  baht one  month and cheerio, its  not the amount of changes its the stupid  way they demand to see that money, if you only  just get that amount each  month from a  pension and then you have to bring it in every month incurring charges instead of maybe 2-3-4 times a  year its stupid. 

I  just show the lump sum but for folk who cant/dont want to its  plain crazy along with the keeping it  in your  account for 6  months untouched and cant go below 400k if using the 800k  method.

Now the additional "stupid as hell" insurance 40k outpatient, what cretinous moron behind his  desk thought that one up, again this doesnt apply to me yet but  who knows and if Id  just spent 1  million on a "elite"  visa and they then require this for all Id  be truly  sick of them. Elite can change their rule at anytime and are also at the whim of  immigration.

But lets go along with your only 1  change and say now the visa is  going to cost 10 million and no one grandfathered in.........I mean hey, its only 1  change right?

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

its the stupid  way they demand to see that money,

Many here seems to forget that there are also expats here from other countries than Australia, Great Britain and U.S.A..

I am Belgian, for me, and for many other nationalities, nothing changed since many years to get an extension. 

Still no money needed in a Thailand bank account , no need to transfer 65000 monthly to Thailand. 

A Letter of Income is still available providing one has sufficient income (pension in my case) in homeland. 

I suppose this will change one day.

I also suppose the 65000, 400 and 800000 will change one day. 

So is insurance for everyone, and many other things we have no idea about as per now. 

One must be conscious that changes may occur, but not being obsessed by it. 

Of course everyone is different. 

16 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Many here seems to forget that there are also expats here from other countries than Australia, Great Britain and U.S.A..

I am Belgian, for me, and for many other nationalities, nothing changed since many years to get an extension. 

Still no money needed in a Thailand bank account , no need to transfer 65000 monthly to Thailand. 

A Letter of Income is still available providing one has sufficient income (pension in my case) in homeland. 

I suppose this will change one day.

I also suppose the 65000, 400 and 800000 will change one day. 

So is insurance for everyone, and many other things we have no idea about as per now. 

One must be conscious that changes may occur, but not being obsessed by it. 

Of course everyone is different. 

No I dont forget but there are an awful lot of Americans Brits etc thats it  does  affect, feel sorry for their families who will be split  up, I for  one see no future here for me in Thailand despite  owning 7 condos 2 pick ups 3  motorbikes 1  car  2  houses etc  all that will be cleared out and sold and Thailand loses.......in an economy thats already struggling.

Married  to a  Thai 15   years, make s no difference.

The new stupid insurance  will probably tip it for me if expanded ( likely to all non o), i can afford it but its useless in a real emergency, I keep way more than that aside for "what if."

Dont see any reason we cant pay into the Thai system happily  pay more ( but theyd  do that anyway)

Its become a very tiring game they are playing.

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

I for  one see no future here for me in Thailand

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

Married  to a  Thai 15   years, make s no difference.

Each of us in particular has to decide to what level he is prepare to abide to Thai rules, and to decide what are his priorities.

It is a pity of course that for many of us it has become to that extent.

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

I for one see no future here for me in Thailand

Philosophically, there is only one future for all of us "here" in the world, death.

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

i can afford it but its useless in a real emergency, I keep way more than that aside for "what if."

? Why is health insurance useless in an emergency?

If you keep plenty more "aside" why cant you use 50K or so a year for health insurance?

4 hours ago, Chazar said:

Nonsense, you could have 100  million in the bank outside of Thailand  but unless you bring that  set amount 40-80k into an account EVERY  month without fail you wont get the visa..... miss by  a  few  baht one  month and cheerio, its  not the amount of changes its the stupid  way they demand to see that money, if you only  just get that amount each  month from a  pension and then you have to bring it in every month incurring charges instead of maybe 2-3-4 times a  year its stupid. 

I  just show the lump sum but for folk who cant/dont want to its  plain crazy along with the keeping it  in your  account for 6  months untouched and cant go below 400k if using the 800k  method.

Now the additional "stupid as hell" insurance 40k outpatient, what cretinous moron behind his  desk thought that one up, again this doesnt apply to me yet but  who knows and if Id  just spent 1  million on a "elite"  visa and they then require this for all Id  be truly  sick of them. Elite can change their rule at anytime and are also at the whim of  immigration.

But lets go along with your only 1  change and say now the visa is  going to cost 10 million and no one grandfathered in.........I mean hey, its only 1  change right?

Don't talk about problems showing income if you are using the>65k monthly method. That has nothing to do with Immigration and new requirements. If the UK,US, and the Aussie embassies don't issue income letters anymore, don't blame immigration. You don't know the reason for it. All the other embassies still issues income letters based on documents showing the actual income. The only official change in the requirements for years are the >400k you need to keep in the bank if you're using the >800k in the bank method. And now the insurance for the O-A Visa. Two official changes! Stop whining. 

31 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Each of us in particular has to decide to what level he is prepare to abide to Thai rules, and to decide what are his priorities.

It is a pity of course that for many of us it has become to that extent.

"Each of us in particular has to decide to what level he is prepare to abide to Thai rules, and to decide what are his priorities."

Do you really think there are a huge amount of expats with O-A Visas compared to others with O based on retirement and 1 year extensions plus those who are married with 1 year extensions? 

On 10/10/2019 at 1:39 AM, ukrules said:

I would be quite happy to see changes in the rules to ensure that Thais pay for any treatment they receive in the UK and don't get free treatment like pretty much everyone else in the world.

I know they pay nothing right now.

I wonder how much free treatment Thais get over in Europe per year and how that figure compares to this paltry sum?

Thais and everybody else outside Europe who want to come legally to Denmark has to show a travelinsurance and Returnticket before they will recieve the Visa, so i think, it's fair, that the Thais demand the same from us…..

22 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Each of us in particular has to decide to what level he is prepare to abide to Thai rules, and to decide what are his priorities."

Do you really think there are a huge amount of expats with O-A Visas compared to others with O based on retirement and 1 year extensions plus those who are married with 1 year extensions? 

Max69 ... the point is not about only 'now'.

New rules start somewhere, and have a good chance to get the ripple effect starting.

Why is there no required Health Insurance for O visas? Well, we got a clear explanation and answer from Ubonjoe yesterday. 

People on O extend into 'extensions' within 90 days, have financial requirements fulfilled, i.e. those 400/800k in the bank.

That counts as a 'protection' for the Thai gov / hospitals with unpaid bills.

But if you think about it, with extension based on marriage, the 400k in the bank, that doesn't even match up the new required 'inpatient' amount for the O-A.

As of today and 2 days into this discussion, everybody is clear on the fact that it only effects the O-A.

I hope it stays like this ... but if you think that complete thing through, I see no valid reason why this could not easily get extended into other, if not all extensions, regardless of the visa they are based on. 

You think for marriage extension the only protection Thai gov has, the 400k, it's enough to cover hospital bills? 

3 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

Talking about 'risky'... how about talking about the young tourists that bang themselves up riding motorbikes with no experience no license and no money to pay their medical bills.

Rented to them by Thais who should be demanding a   correct licence, lets give everyone the responsibility.

13 minutes ago, Jomtien Holiday Guy said:

Thais and everybody else outside Europe who want to come legally to Denmark has to show a travelinsurance and Returnticket before they will recieve the Visa, so i think, it's fair, that the Thais demand the same from us…..

For tourist visas yes, but not for permament stays. 

20 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I believe there are more people with an extension based on a Non-Immigrant O visa.

But my post has to be considered as a general approach of things.

11 minutes ago, RedPill said:

People on O into 'extensions', have financial requirements fulfilled, i.e. those 400/800k in the bank.

That counts as a 'protection' for the Thai gov / hospitals with unpaid bills.

Not all,

I and many others don't,

as we don't have to,

if we don't wish to.

21 minutes ago, Jomtien Holiday Guy said:

Thais need a travel insurance to visit any country in the EU. No insurance, no Visa.

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Not all,

I and many others don't,

as we don't have to,

if we don't wish to.

Who cares about poor guys like you who doesn't meet the financial requirements and need agents to get a Visa. I prefer paying 1900 baht /year. 

24 minutes ago, Jomtien Holiday Guy said:

Yeah have you seen the cost of 6  months  cover for schengen 168 euros for Thais for that u get 30k eurs  cover so double up for 1  year at 340 euros still get 30k cover in euros or 1million+  baht

but Thailand its 50kbaht for a  56 year old with cover of a whopping 400k baht or  just a paltry 11600 euros, its a joke, way overpriced and <deleted>  policy

“People on O into 'extensions', have financial requirements fulfilled, i.e. those 400/800k in the bank.

That counts as a 'protection' for the Thai gov / hospitals with unpaid bills.”

But people on NON OA’s have financial requirements fulfilled as well: 800K Baht equivalent in a Bank Account(of course not in Thailand) or guaranteed income of 65K Baht or more per month.  But the key distinctions are for OA holders their money is outside of the country but one can access it rather  quickly.  Yes, I have an OA and significant monthly income and have paid a lot to Thai hospitals and especially Thai Dentists.  By now I must have spent(donated) in excess of of $25,000 to the Thai Medical Industry in my years in LOS.  “Protection” from the possibility of “unpaid” bills on my behalf has always been guaranteed by my Visa Credit Card(which has been gladly accepted by all hospitals and dentists)  I have always had Health Insurance with a Thai company but only IPD(my limit is over 1 million Baht).  I have never filed a claim on my Health Insurance.  If I want to remain in LOS I will have to buy another policy which confirms with the new laws.  The possibility of just adding OPD on my current health insurance policy is not allowed with my current company.  I may end of carrying two Health Insurance policies in the future(one for me and one for Immigration).  TIT

1 minute ago, RedPill said:

Please explain in more detail

I already explain it in many posts on different topics.

For all countries except 3, there is still the possibility to get an extension on base of the income in homeland.

So no need of any money in, or transfer money to Thailand, if we don't wish to.

44 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

That has nothing to do with Immigration and new requirements.

Really so why is there a problem if its "nothing" to do with immigration, the only thing whining here is  your constant joy of a <deleted> system.

Archived