Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

webfact

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Who cares about poor guys like you who doesn't meet the financial requirements and need agents to get a Visa. I prefer paying 1900 baht /year. 

I and many others get our extension on base of enough income in homeland.

I personally get an extension for 15 years now, at the price of 1900 ThB, no agent involved. 

Have a look at Immigration directives before insulting people.

Again not every expat is Australian, British or American.

Just now, luckyluke said:

I and many others get our extension on base of enough income in homeland.

I personally get an extension for 15 years now, at the price of 1900 ThB, no agent involved. 

Have a look at Immigration directives before insulting people.

Again not every expat is Australian, British or American.

Ok, but the 65k income fulfilled, will still not match a inpatient hospital bill required for O-A.

So why they leave the marriage/retirement extensions alone (for 'now') ?

Just now, RedPill said:

So why they leave the marriage/retirement extensions alone (for 'now') ?

I can not answer your question,

I know what and how it is now.

See my other post here on what may or not come in the future.

10 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I can not answer your question,

I know what and how it is now.

See my other post here on what may or not come in the future.

If I would summarize what I've learned from the past 2 days, it would go like this.

People coming on O-A, staying for a year, are required to meet minimum health insurance terms by immi

People who stay on extensions, for many years after years, DON'T have to do this, because:

- They fulfill 65k income per month (zero guarantee you can pay a larger hospital bill)

- They fulfill 400k marriage extension requirement (hardly to pay a hospital bill, not even matching the required O-A inpatient sum)

- They fulfill 800k retirement extension requirement (that's the only amount which exceeds the O-A inpatient sum, somewhat protected)

There is nothing else, as far as I can see ... but I stand corrected. 

Does it all make sense? Nope. That's why I have a hard time to believe this will not ripple into other extensions in the future.

1 minute ago, RedPill said:

Does it all make sense? Nope. That's why I have a hard time to believe this will not ripple into other extensions in the future.

Agree with you,

but if you live in Thailand you must be aware that their common sense and approach of things, are different of ours.

We all, the worried and other ones, will have to wait and see.

The worried ones can of course anticipate, but I am afraid this is a " never ending story" as for sure there will be always possibility of changes in everything.

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Agree with you,

but if you live in Thailand you must be aware that their common sense and approach of things, are different of ours.

We all, the worried and other ones, will have to wait and see.

The worried ones can of course anticipate, but I am afraid this is a " never ending story" as for sure there will be always possibility of changes in everything.

Yes, that's all cool. 

It's just good I fully understood everything now, took a while, but I can put it on the back burner for now ... but be aware.

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Each of us in particular has to decide to what level he is prepare to abide to Thai rules, and to decide what are his priorities.

Misplaced priorities IMO

I read on here about many who own a car and a truck and a motorcycle.  I do not.  But those that do must pay 14,000 baht or more per year on insurance for each vehicle.  Then there is homeowners insurance, etc...

Do not read any complaints about insurance on their "material possessions"

Yet when you bring up basic responsibility regarding insurance for your own health care in Thailand?

No way!  This is so unfair, a deal breaker, unnecessary, etc.. 

Misplaced priorities IMO    

3 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Yet when you bring up basic responsibility regarding insurance for your own health care in Thailand?

Misplaced priorities IMO    

For me it's not that. 

I do have Thai health insurance ... but it doesn't cover the outpatient, so I have to change this. (if it would had applied to my visa).

And there was talk about only specific thai health insurance companies ... you have to make sure yours is in there.

Overall, I think it's super important that you keep up to date on all those visa changes ... even if it does not apply to one, yet.

A little bit forward thinking .... and so far, the forum was quite good to get all the bits & pieces together.

3 minutes ago, RedPill said:

I do have Thai health insurance ... but it doesn't cover the outpatient, so I have to change this. (if it would had applied to my visa).

And there was talk about only specific thai health insurance companies ... you have to make sure yours is in there.

True, I do not have outpatient either.  Luckily my policy is with Pacific Cross, so one of the 12 mentioned so far as acceptable.  Yet am on Non-Imm O, not O-A , so no changes needed at this point

22 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

True, I do not have outpatient either.  Luckily my policy is with Pacific Cross, so one of the 12 mentioned so far as acceptable.  Yet am on Non-Imm O, not O-A , so no changes needed at this point

Do you have a link to any official list of accepted insurance companies?

EDIT: http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

Misplaced priorities IMO
I read on here about many who own a car and a truck and a motorcycle.  I do not.  But those that do must pay 14,000 baht or more per year on insurance for each vehicle.  Then there is homeowners insurance, etc...
Do not read any complaints about insurance on their "material possessions"

Misplaced priorities IMO    

Vehicle extra insurance is optional, motorbike mandatory insurance is as little as 250 baht so not 14,000 baht. So the key word is optional

On 10/11/2019 at 6:19 AM, ukrules said:

Considering I planned ahead and took ths out at an early age long ago there are no pre existing conditions

I agree that for people from the UK especially this is a problem as most of them don't take private insurance before moving abroad in retirement as it's generally not needed, I on the other hand did take the private insurance nearly 20 years ago and stuck with it because I was aware of the issue.

I am from the UK and took out private health insurance with BUPA when I was around 20 years of age and, like you, 'stuck with it' for decades for the reasons you mention.

Unfortunately, something happened that resulted in my being unable to pay the premiums for 3 months - after paying the premiums for decades.  Suprise, suprise - when I tried to re-instate cover 3 months later, Bupa treated me as a new member/almost doubled the premium/and excluded all pre-existing conditions, even though they had occurred whilst I was a BUPA member...... 

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Who cares about poor guys like you who doesn't meet the financial requirements and need agents to get a Visa. I prefer paying 1900 baht /year. 

Hang on a minute!  Do you bring 65,000 bht into the country every month?

Of course you may do so - but many using the 800/400k method do not.

On 10/10/2019 at 6:39 AM, ukrules said:

I would be quite happy to see changes in the rules to ensure that Thais pay for any treatment they receive in the UK and don't get free treatment like pretty much everyone else in the world.

I know they pay nothing right now.

I wonder how much free treatment Thais get over in Europe per year and how that figure compares to this paltry sum?

Valid point but unfortunately irrelevant without reciprocation treaties with each country. Impossible obviously.

Two wrongs don't make a right type of thing.

The real question is whether this is a problem as large as the gov claims. Personally I doubt their statistics.

When I become prime Minister I'll look into it. ????

6 hours ago, el torro said:

Unfortunately, something happened that resulted in my being unable to pay the premiums for 3 months - after paying the premiums for decades.  Suprise, suprise - when I tried to re-instate cover 3 months later, Bupa treated me as a new member/almost doubled the premium/and excluded all pre-existing conditions, even though they had occurred whilst I was a BUPA member......

Exactly, it's very important to never break the cover. Once you've got them on the hook they have no real escape so long as you keep paying.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:07 PM, Max69xl said:

If you came to Thailand to stay in BKK and eat Sunday roast every week, and don't eat Thai food,then I understand you think it's expensive. 

Ha ha very funny....i eat thai food most of the time even when im not in Thailand.....best place Palates opp Saphan Taskin.

But i was saying it is more expensive than UK...in General....i dont eat street food if i can not see that they can wash their hands....ekkkk ????????????

And i did not say i had Sunday Roast every week. Just a treat every now and again. As im sure you enjoy a home comfort food sometimes ????????????

On 10/10/2019 at 7:31 AM, tjinks said:

Although I am a US citizen I agree with the poster who said make the Thais pay in the UK & EU instead of being freeloaders.

Anytime I've ever had a visit to Bumrungrad for any reason I've always had to pay up front. I have no experience with other hospitals so can't comment on their methods of being compensated.

Trat Govt Hospital the same and if you are long stay in hospital pay every week. on leaving what is left is paid back. P.S. thanks to all staff for your care, and (now) my wife who slept on the floor next to me for 5 weeks why wouldn't anyone marry a woman like that ?:jap: 

On 10/10/2019 at 7:50 AM, jingjai9 said:

I had hernia sugery at a Thai government hospital in 2016. I was asked to pay a cash deposit to cover estimated costs. On the day I was to be discharged my bill was reviewed. I received a small rebate as my deposit exceeded the actual cost of the hospital stay. Is this done often? I thought that was a good idea as an alternative to insurance requirements.

My passport showed I had a one year visa as I was employed at the time of the surgery.

Well this is done at Trat hosp.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:31 AM, tjinks said:

Although I am a US citizen I agree with the poster who said make the Thais pay in the UK & EU instead of being freeloaders.

Anytime I've ever had a visit to Bumrungrad for any reason I've always had to pay up front. I have no experience with other hospitals so can't comment on their methods of being compensated.

Why would you change a system that work perfect for us? 

Thais come to Europe, and quite few of them start working, make their own money, pay taxes, and become a good member of the society, with all rights. Equal rights is important for us, if we move home. 

I bring in about 1,8 million every year to Thailand, and I wish I would get something back, but I dont. Their rule, their country, and I have a choice. 

21 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Family members of EU citizens do not need travel insurance, Thai or otherwise.

Not sure where you come from, but I am from a Schengen country, and if travel on a tourist visa, they need travel insurance to show in the application beforehand! 

Family reunion do not need! 

So a Financial Loophole is not having money in a Thai Bank or transferring money into the country on a monthly basis?  

I entered on an OA and I have several extension of this initial Visa.  Yes, I do not have a lot of money in a Thai Bank nor I have done the monthly transfers.  I have always had Thai Health Insurance(over 1 Million in Baht IPD coverage but no OPD).  I have spent a lot money at Thai Hospitals and Dentists over the years.  My annual spending at Hospitals and Dentists ranged from $5,000 to $10,000. But of course now I will have to purchase a second Thai Health Insurance policy in order to comply with the New Police Order(my current insurance company does not allow adding an OPD Rider).  

Therefore, If I decide to apply for a New OA then I will now have two Health Insurance policies(one for me and one for Immigration).  TIT

On 10/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, MRToMRT said:

Yes another reason for me to continue packing my bags. This place has really gone to the dogs these past few years and now all this as well. I suppose to make it here I need to import heroin into Australia to show my good standing and Thai values.

Dont get caught mate - we are very hard on them. And we are known to tell the Thai Authorities who catch them on the next run and they shoot them ????

Archived