Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

webfact

On 10/10/2019 at 3:08 AM, webfact said:

“Hospitals have to treat them because of human rights reasons, but when we ask them to pay us back, they can’t,” Sathit said.

It's a joke?I do not know any private hospital that will accept an accident on the road or a sick person if it does not first show  his credentials , so his international visa

And I can not see a public hospital let go a foreigner if he did not pay what he owes.

The problem is elsewhere but the Thai government does not want to talk about it. Too afraid to lose face.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And then there's pre-existing conditions which will never be covered. Personally the chances of me needing a long term hospital stay would pretty much be related to pre-existing. 50kbht + pa wasted on a health policy that I couldn't use. If 'risky' persons, of which I'm one, are to foot these so called unpaid bills how about letting me legally pay into the Thai health system as a requirement for my long stay and of course have the use of the service as a Thai.
I don't understand this logic. You're not born Thai why they would treat you like a Thai.

Sent from my Hi9plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Although I am a US citizen I agree with the poster who said make the Thais pay in the UK & EU instead of being freeloaders.
Anytime I've ever had a visit to Bumrungrad for any reason I've always had to pay up front. I have no experience with other hospitals so can't comment on their methods of being compensated.
I went to Bangkok hospital and St Louis hospital. I could have escaped or died without paying.

Also I went to a hospital in Amsterdam, and early morning they came to start bothering me and want to Charge 3k Euro to my credit card. It was extreme pressure without even giving details and what the charge is for. The nurse was so bad that she caused blood clot in my finger tips due to random poking my wrist to find an artery. would not tell me why they need to draw blood from my artery instead of veins. The fingure tips were extremely painful for two months. They made an appointment with a doctor and he said he could not do anything but charged my a hefty doctor's visit.

Sent from my Hi9plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This seems to me to be on the same ridiculous level as the TM30 requirements which the gov seem to have abandoned after some organised opposition. Perhaps organised opposition to these moves could achieve a similar result. It shouldn't be too difficult to amass real date of how much us cheating Farangs have defrauded hospitals and show up the crazy estimates being thrown about as a reason for demanding insurance. I show 800k in the bank every year. Surely that shows I can take care of myself.

I am not clear if the regs apply to renewing a 1 year retirement or is it for new visa applications only? So far no mention if it applying to marriage extensions? Maybe they assume the wife will pay.take care of things.

There will be an announcement over the coming weeks regarding Health Insurance being a mandatory requirement for ALL Non Immigrant visa extensions.

Hard to believe but if true, this will be the end of Thailand as a global retirement destination. I know that Thailand didn’t score well in critical thinking assessments but this takes the cake.
In a way, it might be good for some as it takes the decision making out of their hands.

3 hours ago, somo said:

This seems to me to be on the same ridiculous level as the TM30 requirements which the gov seem to have abandoned after some organised opposition. Perhaps organised opposition to these moves could achieve a similar result. It shouldn't be too difficult to amass real date of how much us cheating Farangs have defrauded hospitals and show up the crazy estimates being thrown about as a reason for demanding insurance. I show 800k in the bank every year. Surely that shows I can take care of myself.

I am not clear if the regs apply to renewing a 1 year retirement or is it for new visa applications only? So far no mention if it applying to marriage extensions? Maybe they assume the wife will pay.take care of things.

It concerns only people with an O-A Long Stay Visa. 

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Hard to believe but if true, this will be the end of Thailand as a global retirement destination. I know that Thailand didn’t score well in critical thinking assessments but this takes the cake.
In a way, it might be good for some as it takes the decision making out of their hands.

It's already been downgraded internationally in that regard. Of course they are under no obligation to offer retirement visas at all. But I do wish if their intention is to phase these out or have rules that will naturally radically limit the numbers that they would show more "grandfathering" compassion to those that have made Thailand their home with not much if anything to go back to. 

7 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

my current insurance company does not allow adding an OPD Rider).  

Who is your insurer? And have you checked with them lately on that specific point?

It seems some of the participating insurers in the O-A program may be making some adjustments to deal with the new O-A requirements.

5 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Does UK also require Expats with long term Visas to deposit 20,000 Pounds into a UK Bank for 6 months (and keep 10,000 pounds there for the other 6 months)??

No. But it does require its long-term expat retirees living in Thailand to pay for (normally free) non-emergency NHS treatment at 150% of the going rate, even though said expats have, for the most part, already contributed towards the costs of the NHS throughout their working lives back in the UK!

9 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

There will be an announcement over the coming weeks regarding Health Insurance being a mandatory requirement for ALL Non Immigrant visa extensions.

1. Do you understand the coming changes to apply to ALL non-immigrants visa and extension holders, or only the population of those age 50 and above?

2. If you're correct about the coming changes, what's that going to mean re: health insurance requirements or not for current and future holders of the Thailand Elite visas?

On 10/10/2019 at 11:37 AM, uncleeagle said:

This is how nasty, small minded, dishonest, probably racist and definitely illogical this new insurance requirement is.

They say there are $16 million dollars of unpaid hospital bills...lets call that 500 million baht...roughly 30 baht to one US dollar...and they have roughly 40 million arrivals per year most of whom will have bought a ticket electronically...a tax of 12 baht per ticket would cover the paltry bill they are whinging about. 

But instead of doing that they have decided that, without a shred of evidence shown to justify it, the entire bill should be paid by a quite vulnerable and generally well behaved group of people who are already subjected to an onerous and strict visa extension application procedure...i.e., retirees aged above 50.

Do younger people not get sick and have accidents...or do the vast numbers of migrant workers never require medical treatment and leave without paying?

This is abject nonsense, it is nasty, racist, illogical, xenophobic idiocy and I truly hope it motivates a good number of people to move on.

Here is some more simple arithmetic...the $16 million of unpaid bill they claim is roughly equivalent to 600 multiplied by 800,000 baht...800,000 is the amount of money needed for a retirement extension but many spend far more...so all it will take is 600 retiress to leave and they lose the entirety of the claimed unpaid bill. I suspect many more will leave so the net result is these idiots are just shooting themslves in the foot. What if 6000 leave? My guess is it will be even more. The maths is really quite simple. Not only are they not going to filter out the vast majority of the non bill payers, they are going to cost the country far more than the unpain bill they claim.

We all know how well structured the Thai statistics really are. 

The unpaid bills are not only caused by Farang, I'm afraid they're using a number that includes all Laotian, Burmese, Cambodian, African and other nationals who need(ed) medical assistance and it's not the truth what they're telling us.  

But it's easier to take the cash from people who usually have some dosh. The whole thing stinks to heaven and soon there'll be all types of visa and extensions included that need such a freaking insurance.

I understand that health systems are often misused, but it should at least be fair. 100,000 baht plus per year is just insane. 

The first step is done, the next will follow soon. Be prepared. 

So I've been going to Thailand since 2002 trained and finally worked in the scuba diving industry on Kow Tow so saw lots of scooter crashes and patched up divers etc, taught in Bkk sor a few years and moved to live in Thailand in 2010 left 2019. In all the time I've lived in Thailand I have never known one single farang who as bumped a hospital Bill, for god sake they basically hold you to ransum till you pay. I do not believe these figure. I can't ever remember seeing a post/story on Thaivisa saying this (plenty of gofundy me but never left without paying).. Lying, lying and lying. Oh, I have heard of a hospital refusing treatment until a credit card was handed over and that guy had bupa health insurance. 

On 10/13/2019 at 10:48 AM, AussieBob18 said:

Dont get caught mate - we are very hard on them. And we are known to tell the Thai Authorities who catch them on the next run and they shoot them ????

Obviously you have not been following the Thai news and the BBC's digging into Sydney court records. Worth a google, interesting story.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:23 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

I do not have a problem requiring visitors to have health insurance; it is simply a good idea.

However, the quote above leaves me speechless. Are there any valid figures to show a lack of repayment? Especially by long-stayers? Generally all I hear about are tourists, not long-term stayers, who don't have insurance and end up with a 'Go fund me' page.

Add a few Baht tax to all plane tickets/landings, use the money to aid foreigners hurt in the Kingdom, and problem solved.

It doesn't need to occur like this, and thus makes me wonder what else is at play...

TIT, the whole country runs on corruption, lets cut a deal with the health insurance companies, for every new farang customer you sign up we get 10%, 

Many of you say its a good idea to have health insurance, sure in principal its OK. But consider this, most of us older guys (72) have a few things wrong (pre existing conditions) ie: high blood pressure. Pre existing conditions are logicaly the most likely causes of future hospitalization. BUT all treatment will be excluded for preexisting conditions. And on top of that the cost of coverage for my age 9s 70,000 to 100,000 which I would have to pay in addition to the actual medical bill.  This so un thought out by the government and only benefits the insurance companies and their benefactors in government.

t

1 hour ago, mhortig said:

Many of you say its a good idea to have health insurance, sure in principal its OK. But consider this, most of us older guys (72) have a few things wrong (pre existing conditions) ie: high blood pressure. Pre existing conditions are logicaly the most likely causes of future hospitalization. BUT all treatment will be excluded for preexisting conditions. And on top of that the cost of coverage for my age 9s 70,000 to 100,000 which I would have to pay in addition to the actual medical bill.  This so un thought out by the government and only benefits the insurance companies and their benefactors in government.

t

In another thread, you posted and this was at the end of your post - have you been informed differently from your friendly Immigration Officers?

"Prior to this announcement my very helpful Immigration officers said that if you have been here 5 years-no insurance needed. But if you do need insurance and cant qualify  just show 3 million in the bank."

Post #290 in 

3 hours ago, mhortig said:

t

If you're on the O-A Visa at the moment, you can always change type of Visa when it's time for the next extension. 

Currently to get a work permit here you need to prove you dont have Syphilis, Tuberculosis and ELEPHANTITS!

These aren't life threatening or expensive conditions these days.

I wonder why they dont screen for more expensive conditions. 

20 hours ago, mhortig said:

Many of you say its a good idea to have health insurance, sure in principal its OK. But consider this, most of us older guys (72) have a few things wrong (pre existing conditions) ie: high blood pressure. Pre existing conditions are logically the most likely causes of future hospitalization. BUT all treatment will be excluded for preexisting conditions. And on top of that the cost of coverage for my age 9s 70,000 to 100,000 which I would have to pay in addition to the actual medical bill.  This so un thought out by the government and only benefits the insurance companies and their benefactors in government.

Being in close to the same boat I sympathize.    I went to the insurance website of the government approved companies.  Two won't insure you after 65, one won't insure you after 70.  One doesn't handle incoming foreigners, just Thai residents outbound. One wouldn't say other than "we have no product available to match your requirements".

I found a North American vendor that I'm pondering on.  It will end up costing about 87,000 baht if I take a 22.700 baht deductible. 

This isn't an annual price, it is for a five month visit.  I snowbird here for four to five months then about six to nine weeks in Europe and then about five months in Canada.  This is a somewhat unexpected expense and does call for some thought.  

21 hours ago, mhortig said:

Our bodies have many "systems",  Circulatory (Heart disease/high blood pressure) is only one.

Even if cardiac related diseases are not covered (pre-existing) you may still need medical care for  

• Digestive system and Excretory system: ...
  • Endocrine system: ...
  • Integumentary system / Exocrine system: ...
  • Immune system and lymphatic system: ...
  • Muscular system: ...
  • Nervous system: ...
  • Renal system and Urinary system.

I would prefer if they charged me THB 60,000 for the visa rather than THB 1,900 for the visa and THB 58,000 for some insurance that I can't really use (because of pre-existing conditions and existing health insurance) and don't want because I have funds set aside to self insure.  This is a sunk cost for me that has zero benefit to anyone other than the people who receive the premium.

On 10/9/2019 at 1:23 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

I do not have a problem requiring visitors to have health insurance; it is simply a good idea.

However, the quote above leaves me speechless. Are there any valid figures to show a lack of repayment? Especially by long-stayers? Generally all I hear about are tourists, not long-term stayers, who don't have insurance and end up with a 'Go fund me' page.

Add a few Baht tax to all plane tickets/landings, use the money to aid foreigners hurt in the Kingdom, and problem solved.

It doesn't need to occur like this, and thus makes me wonder what else is at play...

The government will have to do something like that due to the fact that very few people over 50 can get health insurance from the open market due to fact that 90% of those folks have pre-existing conditions.  They will not insure you.  When I lived in Thailand I had a broker try to find me some.  Nothing.  Not at any price.  

1 minute ago, Balance said:

The government will have to do something like that due to the fact that very few people over 50 can get health insurance from the open market due to fact that 90% of those folks have pre-existing conditions.  They will not insure you.  When I lived in Thailand I had a broker try to find me some.  Nothing.  Not at any price.  

But alas they don't need to do anything to address that problem. On long stayers do you really think the government really cares if 50 percent of the long term stayers largely older and unhealthier leave Thailand? It seems to me that would be seen as a positive development indeed! We're not tolerated here because we smell good. 

Archived