Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

3 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Open question. What is that 400k (or 800k) supposed to be for?

IMO, it was always there to pay for your emergency here abroad to be able to cover yourself (i.e. hospital bill), book a ticket back home and you are out. Gov protected, no troublemakers.

If you now can't even touch it, because the rules changes to keep the money in the account for 6 month shifts ... for what is it?

You can still withdraw 400k from the 800k, and all 400k if you are married. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So when this stupidity and paranoia ends? this government is going from the silly to the ridiculous, let the government tell us how many non-o visa holders have treated in Thai hospitals and didn't ha

This demand for health insurance goes hand in hand with the government demanding hospitals charge expats multiples of what they charge Thais for the same mediocre procedure...   Way to go Th

I do not have a problem requiring visitors to have health insurance; it is simply a good idea.   However, the quote above leaves me speechless. Are there any valid figures to show a lack of

Posted Images

Just now, Max69xl said:

You can still withdraw 400k from the 800k, and all 400k if you are married. 

... it's all too complicated, if this than that ... what is the money on the account for if you can't touch it for hospital emergency? 

And keep Thai gov out of costs, as they were suggesting was the problem.

3 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Open question. What is that 400k (or 800k) supposed to be for?

IMO, it was always there to pay for your emergency here abroad to be able to cover yourself (i.e. hospital bill), book a ticket back home and you are out. Gov protected, no troublemakers.

If you now can't even touch it, because the rules changes to keep the money in the account for 6 month shifts ... for what is it?

You can take the 400k out after your marriage extension approval but with your retirement extension the 800k must be in the Thai bank for a minimum of 5 months and then you can only remove 400k and the remaining 400k must stay in the bank for the remaining 7 months of the year when you are required to top it back up to 800k. This money in the bank is not for any emergency because if you drop below the minimum amount you will not qualify for your next extension application

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

That's right but ALL money must be in a Thai bank account whereas before the money on the income method could be in a bank account in your home country and not in a Thai bank account and that is what the income letters were for.

If using the >65k monthly method, it's only retirees from the UK,US and Australia who needs to transfer that sum to a Thai bank, not the rest of the world. They can still keep the money in a bank in their home country. Get it? 

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

You can take the 400k out after your marriage extension approval but with your retirement extension the 800k must be in the Thai bank for a minimum of 5 months and then you can only remove 400k and the remaining 400k must stay in the bank for the remaining 7 months of the year when you are required to top it back up to 800k. This money in the bank is not for any emergency because if you drop below the minimum amount you will not qualify for your next extension application

Well, they never ask you to show that you haven't dropped below 400k. How would they know? I think immigration have missed it.

24 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Spot on summary. I do believe the army is an extremely paranoid and fearful organization, run by very small men with no vision. They are scared of us and the potential education and worldly wisdom we may "contaminate" their women with. Knowledge is a dangerous thing. 

I'm impressed.. This must be the shortest 007 reply I have ever seen. Very few of which make sense.

Watch Kingsman...a far better fantasy.

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

Well, they never ask you to show that you haven't dropped below 400k. How would they know? I think immigration have missed it.

With the letter from the bank that is required for all seasoned money and that does not matter what country you are from

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Exactly, money not for emergency  ... like you said, the ONLY reason what it is for: 

"This money in the bank is not for any emergency because if you drop below the minimum amount you will not qualify for your next extension application"

What about the money 'above the minimum' and time lines ... that's at free play for gov & banks?

Edited by RedPill
9 minutes ago, RedPill said:

... it's all too complicated, if this than that ... what is the money on the account for if you can't touch it for hospital emergency? 

And keep Thai gov out of costs, as they were suggesting was the problem.

How hard is it to take money out of a bank? Put the card in the ATM?

4 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Exactly, money not for emergency  ... like you said, the ONLY reason what it is for: 

"This money in the bank is not for any emergency because if you drop below the minimum amount you will not qualify for your next extension application"

What about the money 'above the minimum' and time lines ... that's at free play for gov & banks?

Sorry but all the money in the accounts is for the government and the banks to play with and that is the reason that I believe this insurance s**t is about. To get everyone to change to a Non-Imm "O" visa so that they have to have the money in a Thai bank

1 hour ago, elliss said:

Correct. Chinese are the wanted ones . 

Chinese language is now being encouraged ,  to learn in junior schools .

The great white hunters from the west , big money .

Now History ..

That's just BS. 

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

How hard is it to take money out of a bank? Put the card in the ATM?

The money in the bank for the immi requirement is there for me to stay and to always comply to immi requirements. I never touch it, or why put it on an ATM card? 

What I was saying is ... the long term stay Farang has the money in the account to cover his hospital bill ... the Thai gov got this promise already.

No need to push another health insurance requirement mandatory for these guys.

Maybe you get my drift a little.