Jump to content

Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors


Recommended Posts

One aspect of the new regulations may affect those with existing health insurance policies.This coverage may well be more extensive both in terms of the amount covered and the number of countries in which the policy is covered.In other words a far better insurance than being offered by the compulsory companies being touted by the government.

These policies seem to cover Thailand only,so individuals may have to double up on policies if they are moving between countries.

The offered policies are totally inadequate in terms of International and indeed Thailand health coverage,and this should be obvious both to the companies concerned and to any subscriber to these policies.

It is asking a lot,but the whole issue should be reconsidered,unless,as others have suggested,this is just a flagrant attempt at profiteering at the expense of people who are left with no choice.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So when this stupidity and paranoia ends? this government is going from the silly to the ridiculous, let the government tell us how many non-o visa holders have treated in Thai hospitals and didn't ha

This demand for health insurance goes hand in hand with the government demanding hospitals charge expats multiples of what they charge Thais for the same mediocre procedure...   Way to go Th

I do not have a problem requiring visitors to have health insurance; it is simply a good idea.   However, the quote above leaves me speechless. Are there any valid figures to show a lack of

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Sorry but all the money in the accounts is for the government and the banks to play with and that is the reason that I believe this insurance s**t is about. To get everyone to change to a Non-Imm "O" visa so that they have to have the money in a Thai bank

What are you saying, the new rule for O-A is to drive and change people into a Non-Imm "O"?

 

Ok, good, that's what you think and a thought I did not had before on that specific level. It explains your point of view better to understand.

 

For me, I'm more sceptic, they aim to get all the "O", step by step. Not saying I'm right, just what I expect.

 

 

 

 

Edited by RedPill
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

They changed the marriage extension requirement with the money having to be in a Thai bank, before that if you used the income method your money could be in a bank in your home country. They made it that all money for both the retirement extension and the marriage extension all the money had to be in a Thai bank whether you used the seasoned money or you used the income method. Many people opted for the "O-A" visa so that they did not have to put their money into a Thai bank account so therefore Thailand did not have control over that money.

 

I get better interest in my Thai bank than back home.

Edited by Max69xl
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedPill said:

The money in the bank for the immi requirement is there for me to stay and to always comply to immi requirements. I never touch it, or why put it on an ATM card? 

 

What I was saying is ... the long term stay Farang has the money in the account to cover his hospital bill ... the Thai gov got this promise already.

 

No need to push another health insurance requirement mandatory for these guys.

 

Maybe you get my drift a little.

 

 

 

The thing is that with the O-A visa you do not have the money in a Thai bank account. You only need to show that you have the money in an account in your home country where you make your application for the O-A visa. Remember that this insurance is only for the O-A visa applications

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The thing is that with the O-A visa you do not have the money in a Thai bank account. You only need to show that you have the money in an account in your home country where you make your application for the O-A visa. Remember that this insurance is only for the O-A visa applications

Yes, that's a good point. And where it stands as of today. 

 

Good, I put away my 'same principle applies in 6 month for everyone, plus extensions" mindset, but I stay corrected 😉

 

Purely about the type of visa:

 

O-A, isn't that the visa you get abroad for long stay purpose here? In this case 50 years age and above, and then convert this into either a marriage extension or retirement extension, after a min. of 3 month of your arrival? If you want to stay long term.

 

I was always of the opinion that this type of O-A visa, which you got abroad, get's converted into an extension as soon as possible, once settled here.

Including the subsequently required 400/800k with the extension.

 

Or what are other reasons to get a O-A?

 

I don't really exactly know, didn't research this type of visa in depth, but they all point into the same direction ... to the extension for long stay purpose ... and then ... why not continue the story of the mandatory health insurance to the next obvious point?

 

Shouldn't a pre-requirement O-A at least be the min basic requirement here, once this converted O-A into marriage or retirement extension?

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by RedPill
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Yes, that's a good point. And where it stands as of today. 

 

Good, I put away my 'same principle applies in 6 month for everyone, plus extensions" mindset, but I stay corrected 😉

 

Purely about the type of visa:

 

O-A, isn't that the visa you get abroad for long stay purpose here? In this case 50 years age and above, and then convert this into either a marriage extension or retirement extension, after a min. of 3 month of your arrival? If you want to stay long term.

 

I was always of the opinion that this type of O-A visa, which you got abroad, get's converted into an extension as soon as possible, once settled here.

Including the subsequently required 400/800k with the extension.

 

Or what are other reasons to get a O-A?

 

I don't really exactly know, didn't research this type of visa in depth, but they all point into the same direction ... to the extension for long stay purpose ... and then ... why not continue the story of the mandatory health insurance to the next obvious point?

 

Shouldn't a pre-requirement O-A at least be the min basic requirement here, once this converted O-A into marriage or retirement extension?

 

 

 

 

 

The O-A visa is a long stay visa = 1 year. You can only apply for it in your home country. Period. Then you can extend it in Thailand 1 year at the time.

It's the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa that you extend 1 year after 60 days. Then extend it 1 year at the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The O-A visa is a long stay visa = 1 year. You can only apply for it in your home country. Period. Then you can extend it in Thailand 1 year at the time.

It's the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa that you extend 1 year after 60 days. Then extend it 1 year at the time. 

Ok good, don't say 'period' please. Just discuss it. I'm about to learn something or get something straight. Thanks for helping me out.

 

"The O-A visa is a long stay visa = 1 year. You can only apply for it in your home country. Period. Then you can extend it in Thailand 1 year at the time."

 

Ok, extend to what? For just another O-A for another year of stay? Or can you also extend this into a marriage or retirement extension?

 

Other than the required age of 50 in the O-A, what's the choice people make to get an Immi-O or Immi-OA before they come here?

 

I guess what I'm asking is, what's the special thing about the O-A?

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by RedPill
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Ok good, don't say 'period' please. Just discuss it. I'm about to learn something or get something straight. Thanks for helping me out.

 

"The O-A visa is a long stay visa = 1 year. You can only apply for it in your home country. Period. Then you can extend it in Thailand 1 year at the time."

 

Ok, extend to what? For just another O-A for another year of stay? Or can you also extend this into a marriage or retirement extension?

 

Other than the required age of 50 in the O-A, what's the choice people make to get an Immi-O or Immi-OA before they come here?

 

I guess what I'm asking is, what's the special thing about the O-A?

 

 

 

 

 

You normally extend an O-A visa another year,and same with the O visa extension based on retirement or marriage. When in Thailand the O-A and O with 1 year extension based on retirement are the same. When having the O-A from back home, you have 1 year from day one. When arriving with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O visa, you can extend it after 60 days. That's how you start the 1 year extension.

The financial requirements differ a bit. 

Edited by Max69xl
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Ok good, don't say 'period' please. Just discuss it. I'm about to learn something or get something straight. Thanks for helping me out.

 

"The O-A visa is a long stay visa = 1 year. You can only apply for it in your home country. Period. Then you can extend it in Thailand 1 year at the time."

 

Ok, extend to what? For just another O-A for another year of stay? Or can you also extend this into a marriage or retirement extension?

 

Other than the required age of 50 in the O-A, what's the choice people make to get an Immi-O or Immi-OA before they come here?

 

I guess what I'm asking is, what's the special thing about the O-A?

 

 

 

 

 

You can only extend the O-A visa once for a length of 1 year and then you must either leave Thailand and return to your home country and apply for a new visa or you do a border crossing and get a 90 day "O" visa which is then extended with either the marriage or retirement extensions, but remember that if you convert to the "o" visa with the extensions then you must have the financials in a Thai bank, if you return to your home country then you have the financials in your home country. The special thing is that you do not have your money in a Thai bank account. Some people do not feel comfortable having their money in a Thai bank account so they opt for the "O-A" visa so now Thailand want that money here so they want you to either take out a Thai insurance policy or change your visa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You normally extend an O-A visa another year,and same with the O visa extension based on retirement or marriage. When in Thailand the O-A and O with 1 year extension based on retirement are the same. When having the O-A from back home, you have 1 year from day one. When arriving with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O visa, you can extend it after 60 days. That's how you start the 1 year extension.

The financial requirements differ a bit. 

Yes, you extend a O-A with another year, same as a O visa.

 

The O-A after 1 years minimum. The O you can extend after 3 month already. Both have this ability. 

 

That's only about the timing, but you can put in the 'extension' for both.

 

My point was ... if a pre-requirement for a 'possible longer term O-A type extension', into marriage or retirement exists ... why not then apply the same minimum health insurance rules the the extensions as well?

 

And that's where my suspicion and thinking comes from. 

 

If you could 'not' extend an O-A to an O marriage/retirement extension ... then it's ok, the chain is broken!

 

But it's not .. you can extend an O-A to O extension ... so why not apply the same minimum health rules later to O as well?

 

That's my point, if you understand or makes sense, I don't know. That's my logical thinking forward and expect Thai immi go to ... wouldn't surprise me.

 

 

Edited by RedPill
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. There are always choices. For example should you wish to purchase a 12 month Non Immigrant class OA visa then there are conditions attached one of which may be insurance. Whether you decide to purchase said Non OA visa is a matter of personal choice.

That is a great response. You are right, one always has choices. For example if you do not like what the govt is doing you could just off yourself (that is me demonstrating how ridiculous your statements is btw). 

 

Or wait here is another one that is less dark. No matter how bad govt legislation is, it does not matter right? You always have choices, like moving to Russia. 

 

Your argument is unsound. 

Edited by illiterate
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...