Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

webfact

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I do not have a problem requiring visitors to have health insurance; it is simply a good idea.

However, the quote above leaves me speechless. Are there any valid figures to show a lack of repayment? Especially by long-stayers? Generally all I hear about are tourists, not long-term stayers, who don't have insurance and end up with a 'Go fund me' page.

Add a few Baht tax to all plane tickets/landings, use the money to aid foreigners hurt in the Kingdom, and problem solved.

It doesn't need to occur like this, and thus makes me wonder what else is at play...

People without real jobs with way too much time on their hands trying to look busy and useful.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, randy723 said:

I am 77years old and have tried with 3 different insurance companies to get insurance and they all say I am too old and will not insure me so does that mean I have to Leave Thailand, where I own a condo, car, motorbike, have a Thai wife and 2 children from my wifes first marriage and over 3 million baht in a Thai bank account where I am only getting 1 1/2 % interest. Does this mean i have to sell everything and leave and let the Thai goverament take care of my wife and kids.

And so the noose tightens. I remember couple years back retirees and well off business owners and married chaps all giddy and happy they were cracking down on the "riffraff" and "undesirables" trying to stay here long term (I was on non-B myself for 6 years)... I said then, soon it will be you... And here the days are coming. Downright shame for all of us.

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

I'd say what else is in play is someone/s very high up have decided that they dont want a retired ex-pat population here anymore and are looking at any way to make this happen without coming right out and saying it. 

That's why theres the ridiculous 40,000 Bhts outpatiants clause in it, to push up the premiums to hights which most people will refuse to pay. Also the TM30 nonsense, all part of the plan... ???? 

to come right out and say it would be to loose face.  

3 minutes ago, happysanook said:

Add a few Baht tax to all plane tickets/landings

Didn't they already do that?  I faintly recall some amount being added to the tax of flight tickets a while back.  Is it time for another go at the trough?

does anyone recall a tax being added already to cover medical emergency

10 minutes ago, owenm said:

TIT.. Clarification has never been a strong point with Thai bureaucracy. This new policy of mandated health insurance for over 50s on a Non-Imm O-A will be stage one. 

And I believe what could follow will be all Non-Imm visas for over 50s will be required to have compulsory health/medical insurance when doing annual extension of stay renewal. And those currently using visa agents for annual renewals, what is going to happen if proof of insurance is required in the future? An agent fix, or another layer making your future extension more difficult again. Only time will tell. TIT.. 

It's opaque on purpose so they can shaft you

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Older, BMI over 30 (obese), smokers, drinkers, mongers. 

The Kingdom should also require travellers insurance for all tourists IMO. 

The Chinese and Indians in Pattaya are some of the most unaware, naive, and mindless foreigners I have ever witnessed

the Chinese should take swimming lessons and motor bike course before visiting Thailand

1 minute ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Didn't they already do that?  I faintly recall some amount being added to the tax of flight tickets a while back.  Is it time for another go at the trough?

does anyone recall a tax being added already to cover medical emergency

Yeh they did! 

The Airports of Thailand authority increased international departure tax to 700 Thai Baht for international departures , an increase of 200 Baht on the old tax of 500 Thai Baht.

That has been siphoned off , they need more, must move higher in Forbes!

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I do not have a problem requiring visitors to have health insurance; it is simply a good idea.

However, the quote above leaves me speechless. Are there any valid figures to show a lack of repayment? Especially by long-stayers? Generally all I hear about are tourists, not long-term stayers, who don't have insurance and end up with a 'Go fund me' page.

Add a few Baht tax to all plane tickets/landings, use the money to aid foreigners hurt in the Kingdom, and problem solved.

It doesn't need to occur like this, and thus makes me wonder what else is at play...

Ive always paid cash in full anytime ive got medical care here ir anywhere else excpet back in america where i made payments to the hospital if bill too high still after insurance. But i have never not paid my medical bills. I for one wont trust my money with a thai insurance company thus leaves me with signa which is anywhere from 300-650 a month usd for insurance. 

28 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Why not cuff foreigners to the bed? 

Along with the ankle tags to monitor their every move, it would make a lovely matching set!

Don't laugh!
Thousands Of Swedes Are Inserting Microchips Under Their Skin
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/22/658808705/thousands-of-swedes-are-inserting-microchips-under-their-skin

20 minutes ago, Estrada said:

This is just a repeat of yesterday's news on Thai Visa/Nation which clearly stated that this applies for applications for O-A visas from outside Thailand which does not apply to Non-O retirement visas and extensions.

You are right. Reuters report very generally so haven't gone into the specifics.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if this is just the beginning and that this requirement will at some point be applied to those on extensions of stay without a work permit (they should be covered under the Government healthcare scheme).

Some people have extensions of stay based on an original OA visa. I assume they will have to hold health insurance but that hasn't been made clear.

I can see this issue evolving over the next year or so. 

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

If/when the hospitals in Thailand advise of the amount of money they make from those pesky foreigners over 50 (and given the hospitals even have the government's blessing to charge those foreigners more than locals), their alleged claim of "losing" $16 million would be laughable.

Indeed.

In fact if 80,000 foreigners are seeking medical treatment and then skip out on paying the bill,  then Thai logic says let's charge those who don't pay double or triple the rate of locals.

That is laughable.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I have not seen the numbers.. BUT if they are low, why would the Gov. get so involved and mandate med ins. Doesn't make sense to me...

It is called saving face and grabbing money.  They took action.  Doesn't mean it is a good action.  The policies being offered are poor.  They know or believe that many expats or long stays will leave the country, but they already paid the yearly premium.  Easy money.

1 hour ago, reargunnerph3 said:

I broken my leg in Pattaya playing softball and went to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, I got a quote for the operation when the results of the x-rays came back and negotiated the price down to Bt52,000 and had to pay by credit card before the operation. I would find it hard to believe anyone gets free medical treatment in Thailand.

They did do a great job.

Was it a complex procedure or just really good plaster of Paris?

Total Lie!

I went through being admitted for emergency Surgery but before they would even admit me my wife had to prove we had the funds to pay!! I was in a coma and she had to get proof from Banks before they would even admit me...

I went through 3 more Surgeries and the same attitude was applied! I had to pay a estimated amount of what was proposed to be done. So far I have paid over 600,000 for each time. Up front... Before I was even touched! 

So saying they are loosing money on Retiree's here in Thailand... Is Bull <deleted>! Maybe it was my beard? They may thought I was Homeless? I have over 3 Million in various Accounts here in LOS! Biometrics if working should have told them more about me. Maybe I need to have some one apologize to me? For their careless treatment causing me Loss of Face??

I want to see them rebuttal this as I have stacks of folders with receipts for required Hospital Treatment!! Again to Blame the Expat Community here for loss of Revenue in their Medical System... ?? B.S.!!!

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Even if fit, financially secure and self-insures because he doesn't want to waste a massive amount of his hard-earned every year?

There is many of us, who never will have problems with the new rules or terms, but there is to many with bad health, minimum pentions and risky lifestyle who live a unhealthy life on the top of bad health. This group is growing with the stronger baht, and have no security left. Incan understand Thailand want them out, bu is it fair? Fair for who?

My concern is, do I want them to control me and my choices for my insurance and possibillities for taking care of myself? 

I still have social security back home, social security support if something happens to me here, outpatient cost covered, Insurance privat hospital back home, and travel insurance with evacuation since I travel back for work every second month or so. 

I have double up, and still not good enough for the new plan. How they going to sort out those who can take care of themselves and not?

39 minutes ago, Estrada said:

This is just a repeat of yesterday's news on Thai Visa/Nation which clearly stated that this applies for applications for O-A visas from outside Thailand which does not apply to Non-O retirement visas and extensions.

It appears that it applies only to those obtaining Non-Immigrant O-A Visas in their country of residence AND for an extension of stay that was based on entry using the O-A Visa.  The article on ThaiVisa that appeared yesterday noted that information was based on new Immigration rules for extensions with a note that the Foreign Ministry rules (which will govern applications for and issuance the O-A Visa was to be announced later that afternoon). As I recall, postings indicated that the Ministry of FA rules will permit health insurance from other than the Thai health insurance policies listed on a link (my understanding is that those policies -- which have been required for the O-X Visa for some time -- will be for the 400k inpatient and 40k outpatient amounts, but will cover only services at a Government Hospital) - but, I haven't seen as yet any info on what the Ministry of FA will require.

The Immigration rules for extensions of stay if based on an O-A Visa seem fairly clear, it will require a Thai health insurance policy that will cover the one-year extension period obtained from those policies listed on the link -- I am not that familiar with their requirements, but would be interested to know if they have an age restriction - if not, then probably some exorbitant premiums for the more elderly.  Here is link to Immigration webpage showing the new rules - in Thai and English: https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=5d9c3b074d8a8f318362a8aa&fbclid=IwAR39UI_zBxVLedZKgZeAeYnvb0yyyIsr6SHPhnq64ohzACO7VsLUU_LlGn0  - it has a pdf file showing the rules which can be downloaded if you want to keep a copy.  The link to the health insurance policies for O-A Visa is:  http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

2 hours ago, steve2112 said:

ditto, i didn't know it was even possible

Most of us had to pay before being treated! Or had to submit letter from Bank(s) we had the funds before even being admitted! Treatment by Human Rights Rules??? Don't think so. ( have Documentation to prove may comments!)

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

So when this stupidity and paranoia ends? this government is going from the silly to the ridiculous, let the government tell us how many non-o visa holders have treated in Thai hospitals and didn't had the money to pay, numbers and figures please real figures, not made up ones, i have been here for 35 years and i don't know any long term staying foreigners  that has been treated in a hospital and got away without paying...

They don't need to justify themselves to you or anyone else. Officials can do whatever they like. They say jump, you jump. They really have no interest at all in what foreigners think or say. Remember, we aliens are guests and therefore have no power or influence at all about anything. What they say goes, end of.

When my British wife was in our local. Government hospital for an operation cost 100,000 baht which included private room I met over a a 8 day period at least 30 foreigners who were patients all of them were tourists and most were in due to motor bike accidents I was alarmed at how many did not have any insurance and were dependent on friends or family to help with the medical costs there were at least 10 Russians it is the tourists who seem to be the problem not the over 50s . Maybe it’s time the government last a law stating that unless a drivers license is provided motor bikes cannot be rented out this alone would reduce hospital costs.

4 hours ago, dave s said:

500,000,000/80,000=6,250. By the figures in the article, on average, every single expat in Thailand stiffs a hospital for over 6,000 baht every single year. Every single expat, not one of whom they can collect from, despite TM28, TM30, TM6, multiple TM47 reports, ad nauseum. And no reporter at this press shindig waved their hand and said, "Yoooo-ooo, Minister Pitutecha, isn't this absolute proof that all the mindless immigration paperwork is useless and should be abolished?"

True,I'm still trying to work out who gets away without paying their medical bills,apart from the two week stayers that have accidents and are taken in unconscious,most I'm sure do pay up. my visits to hospitals,clinics for treatment are always started off with them taking copies of my passport,always been that way,and no doubt my visa,the first time of my many visits for higher cost bills just meant a deposit of approximately fifty percent of the possible costs, the last visit some years ago they nicely asked if I would mind paying all the possibly cost upfront before the small operation,looks like I'm one of those 'At risk' ones,and no way will I pay the insurance costs they want,even if I could find one, looks like it's getting near to suitcase packing time, this has to be a male hating women's logic,

40 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

most of them have spent their money on houses, cars, women and never thought about what's going to happen when they get sick.

In other words,  invested heavily into the new country they wish to now call home only to be rejected when they get sick. I do understand what you are saying,  but a lot of these cases would not occur if Thailand had a friendlier path to citizenship where people could work in any occupation and pay their social security and taxes etc.

Archived