BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

22 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Each of us in particular has to decide to what level he is prepare to abide to Thai rules, and to decide what are his priorities."

Do you really think there are a huge amount of expats with O-A Visas compared to others with O based on retirement and 1 year extensions plus those who are married with 1 year extensions? 

Max69 ... the point is not about only 'now'.

New rules start somewhere, and have a good chance to get the ripple effect starting.

Why is there no required Health Insurance for O visas? Well, we got a clear explanation and answer from Ubonjoe yesterday. 

People on O extend into 'extensions' within 90 days, have financial requirements fulfilled, i.e. those 400/800k in the bank.

That counts as a 'protection' for the Thai gov / hospitals with unpaid bills.

But if you think about it, with extension based on marriage, the 400k in the bank, that doesn't even match up the new required 'inpatient' amount for the O-A.

As of today and 2 days into this discussion, everybody is clear on the fact that it only effects the O-A.

I hope it stays like this ... but if you think that complete thing through, I see no valid reason why this could not easily get extended into other, if not all extensions, regardless of the visa they are based on. 

You think for marriage extension the only protection Thai gov has, the 400k, it's enough to cover hospital bills? 

Edited by RedPill

3 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

Talking about 'risky'... how about talking about the young tourists that bang themselves up riding motorbikes with no experience no license and no money to pay their medical bills.

Rented to them by Thais who should be demanding a   correct licence, lets give everyone the responsibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jomtien Holiday Guy said:

Thais and everybody else outside Europe who want to come legally to Denmark has to show a travelinsurance and Returnticket before they will recieve the Visa, so i think, it's fair, that the Thais demand the same from us…..

For tourist visas yes, but not for permament stays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Each of us in particular has to decide to what level he is prepare to abide to Thai rules, and to decide what are his priorities."

Do you really think there are a huge amount of expats with O-A Visas compared to others with O based on retirement and 1 year extensions plus those who are married with 1 year extensions? 

I believe there are more people with an extension based on a Non-Immigrant O visa.

But my post has to be considered as a general approach of things.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

For tourist visas yes, but not for permament stays. 

Good point, and i.e. for the UK, there is free basic health care thereafter

Edited by RedPill

11 minutes ago, RedPill said:

People on O into 'extensions', have financial requirements fulfilled, i.e. those 400/800k in the bank.

That counts as a 'protection' for the Thai gov / hospitals with unpaid bills.

Not all,

I and many others don't,

as we don't have to,

if we don't wish to.

Just now, luckyluke said:

Not all,

I and many others don't,

as we don't have to,

if we don't wish to.

Please explain in more detail

21 minutes ago, Jomtien Holiday Guy said:

Thais and everybody else outside Europe who want to come legally to Denmark has to show a travelinsurance and Returnticket before they will recieve the Visa, so i think, it's fair, that the Thais demand the same from us…..

Thais need a travel insurance to visit any country in the EU. No insurance, no Visa.

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Not all,

I and many others don't,

as we don't have to,

if we don't wish to.

Who cares about poor guys like you who doesn't meet the financial requirements and need agents to get a Visa. I prefer paying 1900 baht /year. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

Thais need a travel insurance to visit any country in the EU. No insurance, no Visa.

My wife has had three visas and three trips to the UK without any travel insurance.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jomtien Holiday Guy said:

Yeah have you seen the cost of 6  months  cover for schengen 168 euros for Thais for that u get 30k eurs  cover so double up for 1  year at 340 euros still get 30k cover in euros or 1million+  baht

but Thailand its 50kbaht for a  56 year old with cover of a whopping 400k baht or  just a paltry 11600 euros, its a joke, way overpriced and <deleted>  policy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“People on O into 'extensions', have financial requirements fulfilled, i.e. those 400/800k in the bank.

That counts as a 'protection' for the Thai gov / hospitals with unpaid bills.”

But people on NON OA’s have financial requirements fulfilled as well: 800K Baht equivalent in a Bank Account(of course not in Thailand) or guaranteed income of 65K Baht or more per month.  But the key distinctions are for OA holders their money is outside of the country but one can access it rather  quickly.  Yes, I have an OA and significant monthly income and have paid a lot to Thai hospitals and especially Thai Dentists.  By now I must have spent(donated) in excess of of $25,000 to the Thai Medical Industry in my years in LOS.  “Protection” from the possibility of “unpaid” bills on my behalf has always been guaranteed by my Visa Credit Card(which has been gladly accepted by all hospitals and dentists)  I have always had Health Insurance with a Thai company but only IPD(my limit is over 1 million Baht).  I have never filed a claim on my Health Insurance.  If I want to remain in LOS I will have to buy another policy which confirms with the new laws.  The possibility of just adding OPD on my current health insurance policy is not allowed with my current company.  I may end of carrying two Health Insurance policies in the future(one for me and one for Immigration).  TIT

1 minute ago, RedPill said:

Please explain in more detail

I already explain it in many posts on different topics.

For all countries except 3, there is still the possibility to get an extension on base of the income in homeland.

So no need of any money in, or transfer money to Thailand, if we don't wish to.

10 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Not all,

I and many others don't,

as we don't have to,

if we don't wish to.

Based on income doesn't match a 'inpatient'  health insurance. So why not change this in future?

Edited by RedPill

44 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

That has nothing to do with Immigration and new requirements.

Really so why is there a problem if its "nothing" to do with immigration, the only thing whining here is  your constant joy of a <deleted> system.

• Thanks 1