BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

That counts as a 'protection' for the Thai gov / hospitals with unpaid bills.”

Does it/ does it really? I dont think so.

9 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Does it/ does it really? I dont think so.

What else is there counting as financial proof?

Why not required health insurance for O ... only for O-A?

o vs oa.png

Edited by RedPill

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Who cares about poor guys like you who doesn't meet the financial requirements and need agents to get a Visa. I prefer paying 1900 baht /year. 

I and many others get our extension on base of enough income in homeland.

I personally get an extension for 15 years now, at the price of 1900 ThB, no agent involved. 

Have a look at Immigration directives before insulting people.

Again not every expat is Australian, British or American.

Just now, luckyluke said:

I and many others get our extension on base of enough income in homeland.

I personally get an extension for 15 years now, at the price of 1900 ThB, no agent involved. 

Have a look at Immigration directives before insulting people.

Again not every expat is Australian, British or American.

Ok, but the 65k income fulfilled, will still not match a inpatient hospital bill required for O-A.

So why they leave the marriage/retirement extensions alone (for 'now') ?

Just now, RedPill said:

I can not answer your question,

I know what and how it is now.

See my other post here on what may or not come in the future.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I can not answer your question,

I know what and how it is now.

See my other post here on what may or not come in the future.

If I would summarize what I've learned from the past 2 days, it would go like this.

People coming on O-A, staying for a year, are required to meet minimum health insurance terms by immi

People who stay on extensions, for many years after years, DON'T have to do this, because:

- They fulfill 65k income per month (zero guarantee you can pay a larger hospital bill)

- They fulfill 400k marriage extension requirement (hardly to pay a hospital bill, not even matching the required O-A inpatient sum)

- They fulfill 800k retirement extension requirement (that's the only amount which exceeds the O-A inpatient sum, somewhat protected)

There is nothing else, as far as I can see ... but I stand corrected. 

Does it all make sense? Nope. That's why I have a hard time to believe this will not ripple into other extensions in the future.

Edited by RedPill

Ok, but the 65k income fulfilled, will still not match a inpatient hospital bill required for O-A.

Because it will cause too much turmoil as half the expats will be forced to leave
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RedPill said:

Does it all make sense? Nope. That's why I have a hard time to believe this will not ripple into other extensions in the future.

Agree with you,

but if you live in Thailand you must be aware that their common sense and approach of things, are different of ours.

We all, the worried and other ones, will have to wait and see.

The worried ones can of course anticipate, but I am afraid this is a " never ending story" as for sure there will be always possibility of changes in everything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Agree with you,

but if you live in Thailand you must be aware that their common sense and approach of things, are different of ours.

We all, the worried and other ones, will have to wait and see.

The worried ones can of course anticipate, but I am afraid this is a " never ending story" as for sure there will be always possibility of changes in everything.

Yes, that's all cool. 

It's just good I fully understood everything now, took a while, but I can put it on the back burner for now ... but be aware.

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Each of us in particular has to decide to what level he is prepare to abide to Thai rules, and to decide what are his priorities.

Misplaced priorities IMO

I read on here about many who own a car and a truck and a motorcycle.  I do not.  But those that do must pay 14,000 baht or more per year on insurance for each vehicle.  Then there is homeowners insurance, etc...

Do not read any complaints about insurance on their "material possessions"

Yet when you bring up basic responsibility regarding insurance for your own health care in Thailand?

No way!  This is so unfair, a deal breaker, unnecessary, etc.. 

Misplaced priorities IMO    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Yet when you bring up basic responsibility regarding insurance for your own health care in Thailand?

Misplaced priorities IMO    

For me it's not that. 

I do have Thai health insurance ... but it doesn't cover the outpatient, so I have to change this. (if it would had applied to my visa).

And there was talk about only specific thai health insurance companies ... you have to make sure yours is in there.

Overall, I think it's super important that you keep up to date on all those visa changes ... even if it does not apply to one, yet.

A little bit forward thinking .... and so far, the forum was quite good to get all the bits & pieces together.

Edited by RedPill

3 minutes ago, RedPill said:

I do have Thai health insurance ... but it doesn't cover the outpatient, so I have to change this. (if it would had applied to my visa).

And there was talk about only specific thai health insurance companies ... you have to make sure yours is in there.

True, I do not have outpatient either.  Luckily my policy is with Pacific Cross, so one of the 12 mentioned so far as acceptable.  Yet am on Non-Imm O, not O-A , so no changes needed at this point

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

True, I do not have outpatient either.  Luckily my policy is with Pacific Cross, so one of the 12 mentioned so far as acceptable.  Yet am on Non-Imm O, not O-A , so no changes needed at this point

Do you have a link to any official list of accepted insurance companies?

EDIT: http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

Edited by RedPill

Misplaced priorities IMO
I read on here about many who own a car and a truck and a motorcycle.  I do not.  But those that do must pay 14,000 baht or more per year on insurance for each vehicle.  Then there is homeowners insurance, etc...
Do not read any complaints about insurance on their "material possessions"

Misplaced priorities IMO    

Vehicle extra insurance is optional, motorbike mandatory insurance is as little as 250 baht so not 14,000 baht. So the key word is optional
  • Like 1