BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

On 10/10/2019 at 3:08 AM, webfact said:

“Hospitals have to treat them because of human rights reasons, but when we ask them to pay us back, they can’t,” Sathit said.

It's a joke?I do not know any private hospital that will accept an accident on the road or a sick person if it does not first show  his credentials , so his international visa

And I can not see a public hospital let go a foreigner if he did not pay what he owes.

The problem is elsewhere but the Thai government does not want to talk about it. Too afraid to lose face.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Sorry to hear that. In 20 years, I've spent maybe 5% of that.

And me in 14 years here, maybe 5 % of your 5 % ;

so a ridiculous sum .

• Like 1

And then there's pre-existing conditions which will never be covered. Personally the chances of me needing a long term hospital stay would pretty much be related to pre-existing. 50kbht + pa wasted on a health policy that I couldn't use. If 'risky' persons, of which I'm one, are to foot these so called unpaid bills how about letting me legally pay into the Thai health system as a requirement for my long stay and of course have the use of the service as a Thai.
I don't understand this logic. You're not born Thai why they would treat you like a Thai.

Sent from my Hi9plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Although I am a US citizen I agree with the poster who said make the Thais pay in the UK & EU instead of being freeloaders.
Anytime I've ever had a visit to Bumrungrad for any reason I've always had to pay up front. I have no experience with other hospitals so can't comment on their methods of being compensated.
I went to Bangkok hospital and St Louis hospital. I could have escaped or died without paying.

Also I went to a hospital in Amsterdam, and early morning they came to start bothering me and want to Charge 3k Euro to my credit card. It was extreme pressure without even giving details and what the charge is for. The nurse was so bad that she caused blood clot in my finger tips due to random poking my wrist to find an artery. would not tell me why they need to draw blood from my artery instead of veins. The fingure tips were extremely painful for two months. They made an appointment with a doctor and he said he could not do anything but charged my a hefty doctor's visit.

Sent from my Hi9plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This seems to me to be on the same ridiculous level as the TM30 requirements which the gov seem to have abandoned after some organised opposition. Perhaps organised opposition to these moves could achieve a similar result. It shouldn't be too difficult to amass real date of how much us cheating Farangs have defrauded hospitals and show up the crazy estimates being thrown about as a reason for demanding insurance. I show 800k in the bank every year. Surely that shows I can take care of myself.

I am not clear if the regs apply to renewing a 1 year retirement or is it for new visa applications only? So far no mention if it applying to marriage extensions? Maybe they assume the wife will pay.take care of things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, somo said:

This seems to me to be on the same ridiculous level as the TM30 requirements which the gov seem to have abandoned after some organised opposition. Perhaps organised opposition to these moves could achieve a similar result. It shouldn't be too difficult to amass real date of how much us cheating Farangs have defrauded hospitals and show up the crazy estimates being thrown about as a reason for demanding insurance. I show 800k in the bank every year. Surely that shows I can take care of myself.

I am not clear if the regs apply to renewing a 1 year retirement or is it for new visa applications only? So far no mention if it applying to marriage extensions? Maybe they assume the wife will pay.take care of things.

It concerns only people with an O-A Long Stay Visa. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

It concerns only people with an O-A Long Stay Visa. 

Maybe wait until after 31 October before making such definitive pronouncements.

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Hard to believe but if true, this will be the end of Thailand as a global retirement destination. I know that Thailand didn’t score well in critical thinking assessments but this takes the cake.
In a way, it might be good for some as it takes the decision making out of their hands.

It's already been downgraded internationally in that regard. Of course they are under no obligation to offer retirement visas at all. But I do wish if their intention is to phase these out or have rules that will naturally radically limit the numbers that they would show more "grandfathering" compassion to those that have made Thailand their home with not much if anything to go back to. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

my current insurance company does not allow adding an OPD Rider).  

Who is your insurer? And have you checked with them lately on that specific point?

It seems some of the participating insurers in the O-A program may be making some adjustments to deal with the new O-A requirements.

Is this a new one or does it only apply to people with extesions to AO visas

9 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

There will be an announcement over the coming weeks regarding Health Insurance being a mandatory requirement for ALL Non Immigrant visa extensions.

1. Do you understand the coming changes to apply to ALL non-immigrants visa and extension holders, or only the population of those age 50 and above?

2. If you're correct about the coming changes, what's that going to mean re: health insurance requirements or not for current and future holders of the Thailand Elite visas?

Off topic posts and replies about Schengen visas have been removed.

Some troll posts and replies have been removed.