BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

So I've been going to Thailand since 2002 trained and finally worked in the scuba diving industry on Kow Tow so saw lots of scooter crashes and patched up divers etc, taught in Bkk sor a few years and moved to live in Thailand in 2010 left 2019. In all the time I've lived in Thailand I have never known one single farang who as bumped a hospital Bill, for god sake they basically hold you to ransum till you pay. I do not believe these figure. I can't ever remember seeing a post/story on Thaivisa saying this (plenty of gofundy me but never left without paying).. Lying, lying and lying. Oh, I have heard of a hospital refusing treatment until a credit card was handed over and that guy had bupa health insurance. 

Edited by Scot123
Remembered an old friend who I had to help out.
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

Edited by Scot123
Sorry miss read.

On 10/13/2019 at 10:48 AM, AussieBob18 said:

Dont get caught mate - we are very hard on them. And we are known to tell the Thai Authorities who catch them on the next run and they shoot them 🙂

Obviously you have not been following the Thai news and the BBC's digging into Sydney court records. Worth a google, interesting story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mhortig said:

Many of you say its a good idea to have health insurance, sure in principal its OK. But consider this, most of us older guys (72) have a few things wrong (pre existing conditions) ie: high blood pressure. Pre existing conditions are logicaly the most likely causes of future hospitalization. BUT all treatment will be excluded for preexisting conditions. And on top of that the cost of coverage for my age 9s 70,000 to 100,000 which I would have to pay in addition to the actual medical bill.  This so un thought out by the government and only benefits the insurance companies and their benefactors in government.

t

In another thread, you posted and this was at the end of your post - have you been informed differently from your friendly Immigration Officers?

"Prior to this announcement my very helpful Immigration officers said that if you have been here 5 years-no insurance needed. But if you do need insurance and cant qualify  just show 3 million in the bank."

Post #290 in 

3 hours ago, mhortig said:

Many of you say its a good idea to have health insurance, sure in principal its OK. But consider this, most of us older guys (72) have a few things wrong (pre existing conditions) ie: high blood pressure. Pre existing conditions are logicaly the most likely causes of future hospitalization. BUT all treatment will be excluded for preexisting conditions. And on top of that the cost of coverage for my age 9s 70,000 to 100,000 which I would have to pay in addition to the actual medical bill.  This so un thought out by the government and only benefits the insurance companies and their benefactors in government.

t

If you're on the O-A Visa at the moment, you can always change type of Visa when it's time for the next extension. 

Currently to get a work permit here you need to prove you dont have Syphilis, Tuberculosis and ELEPHANTITS!

These aren't life threatening or expensive conditions these days.

I wonder why they dont screen for more expensive conditions. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mhortig said:

Many of you say its a good idea to have health insurance, sure in principal its OK. But consider this, most of us older guys (72) have a few things wrong (pre existing conditions) ie: high blood pressure. Pre existing conditions are logically the most likely causes of future hospitalization. BUT all treatment will be excluded for preexisting conditions. And on top of that the cost of coverage for my age 9s 70,000 to 100,000 which I would have to pay in addition to the actual medical bill.  This so un thought out by the government and only benefits the insurance companies and their benefactors in government.

Being in close to the same boat I sympathize.    I went to the insurance website of the government approved companies.  Two won't insure you after 65, one won't insure you after 70.  One doesn't handle incoming foreigners, just Thai residents outbound. One wouldn't say other than "we have no product available to match your requirements".

I found a North American vendor that I'm pondering on.  It will end up costing about 87,000 baht if I take a 22.700 baht deductible. 

This isn't an annual price, it is for a five month visit.  I snowbird here for four to five months then about six to nine weeks in Europe and then about five months in Canada.  This is a somewhat unexpected expense and does call for some thought.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mhortig said:

Our bodies have many "systems",  Circulatory (Heart disease/high blood pressure) is only one.

Even if cardiac related diseases are not covered (pre-existing) you may still need medical care for  

• Digestive system and Excretory system: ...
  • Endocrine system: ...
  • Integumentary system / Exocrine system: ...
  • Immune system and lymphatic system: ...
  • Muscular system: ...
  • Nervous system: ...
  • Renal system and Urinary system.

On 10/9/2019 at 1:23 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

I do not have a problem requiring visitors to have health insurance; it is simply a good idea.

However, the quote above leaves me speechless. Are there any valid figures to show a lack of repayment? Especially by long-stayers? Generally all I hear about are tourists, not long-term stayers, who don't have insurance and end up with a 'Go fund me' page.

Add a few Baht tax to all plane tickets/landings, use the money to aid foreigners hurt in the Kingdom, and problem solved.

It doesn't need to occur like this, and thus makes me wonder what else is at play...

The government will have to do something like that due to the fact that very few people over 50 can get health insurance from the open market due to fact that 90% of those folks have pre-existing conditions.  They will not insure you.  When I lived in Thailand I had a broker try to find me some.  Nothing.  Not at any price.  

1 minute ago, Balance said:

The government will have to do something like that due to the fact that very few people over 50 can get health insurance from the open market due to fact that 90% of those folks have pre-existing conditions.  They will not insure you.  When I lived in Thailand I had a broker try to find me some.  Nothing.  Not at any price.  

But alas they don't need to do anything to address that problem. On long stayers do you really think the government really cares if 50 percent of the long term stayers largely older and unhealthier leave Thailand? It seems to me that would be seen as a positive development indeed! We're not tolerated here because we smell good. 

Depends on which visa you have. It only includes those on the O-A  retirement visa.

1 minute ago, Huckenfell said:

Depends on which visa you have. It only includes those on the O-A  retirement visa.

So some say. We'll know more starting the beginning of next month.