Thai govt on track for full digitalisation by 2022

webfact

Government on track for full digitalisation by 2022

By THE NATION

800_422f953cb81d0f7.jpg?v=1570618847

Kobsak

Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak has set a timeframe for the government to become fully digital by 2022.

He instructed the Digital Government Development Agency on Wednesday (October 9) to prioritise its proposals and forward them next month to a committee tasked with electronically integrating all government bodies and services.

The agency must set out clear goals for every government entity to develop and adapt their services based on digital technology, Somkid said. It will then help them reorganise public policy using the massive state database in order to better serve the public.

Somkid also asked the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society to have IT-savvy personnel in all state agencies prepared to be “chief IT officers” overseeing the adoption of digital technology.

Kobsak Pootrakool, deputy secretary-general to the prime minister for political affairs, said the Digital Government Development Agency had played a key role in laying the foundation for the process, developing several online applications that benefit citizens.

It is also developing a convenient “OSS Foreigner” mobile application for foreigners staying longer than 90 days to report their whereabouts to the Immigration Bureau by supplying the required information and a “selfie” photo.

Doing so will save them trekking to the Immigration offices, and the innovation could encourage more foreigners to stay to Thailand, Kobsak said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30377247

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-10

What about all the need for original documents and signed copies? Will on department accept that this information has already been supplied to another one?

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

It is also developing a convenient “OSS Foreigner” mobile application for foreigners staying longer than 90 days to report their whereabouts to the Immigration Bureau by supplying the required information and a “selfie” photo.

Doing so will save them trekking to the Immigration offices, and the innovation could encourage more foreigners to stay to Thailand, Kobsak said.

Oh look further duplication of online/app reporting  for those suspected criminals that are expats. Lets see if the software works and they have enough internet bandwidth and back end support to allow the system to work. 

IT-savvy?  What does that even mean?  There are a handful of popular web languages, which ones do they expect to use?  Coding is one challenge.  Knowing what to code is another.   These announcements are for government employees to get their 15 minutes of fame.  They lack any substantive information much like the current government itself.  

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Somkid also asked the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society to have IT-savvy personnel in all state agencies prepared to be “chief IT officers” overseeing the adoption of digital technology.

That could be a tricky one to fulfill, I.T savvy personnel ^^ most Thais I know can't even pronounce the name let alone integrate it !

All aboard the "digiton express"

Ha ha ha.

Just crossed the Friendship Bridge between Nong Khai and Thanaleng/Laos again for the umpteenth time with my own car. 

Read the procedure and then we're talking digitalization again. The Thai Department of Land Transport issues, on request by the car owner, against presentation of the original blue car registration book (in my name), a full set of counter-signed passport copies and a residence confirmation by the Immigration a purple booklet, called "International Transport Permit" or ITP - Thais call it "passapot for car".
It takes anything between 45 minutes and 2 hours to issue this passport-sized booklet with 25 useable pages, valid for max. one year -or- whenever your next car tax payment is due; costs B 55. 

Upon leaving Thailand, you park the car at the Thai side of the immigration and complete at TM2 (Information of Conveyance) two-fold, one for outbound and another one for return/in-bound with full engine/chassis number, colour and model type, TM3 (Passenger List with name, age, their passport number) and TM4 (Crew List - same as TM3 plus position of the "crew member"). 
The Immigration does not even look at any of the forms and throws three of the four (one TM2 is stamped and returned to you) into a tray, stamps your passport and then its "customs time" at another booth.

There you present the driver's passport and the ITP. The ITP data then is punched into a computer (each and every time) and a temporary import/export permit is printed out, to be signed by driver and by exporter. Rubber-stamping in the ITP; a copy of the permit stays with them (the other copy you need on the way back in) and then you're good to roll across the bridge - after another customs officer checked your A4 temporary import/export permit AND your passport. 

On the way back in, the immigration keeps the second TM2, rubber-stamps your passport and then you hop over to the customs, where they rubberstamp the ITP and the remaining copy of the export/import permit. Upon passing the customs officer with the car, they keep the duplicate of the export/import permit without even looking at anything - again. 

The commies on the other side of the bridge are not outdone by the Thais - but that is a different issue. Same with issuing temporary import permit, rubber-stamping like hell all over ITP (four in total) as well and charge you petties, some with and some without receipt. 

The entire process above is free of charge (incl. the forms) and does not include the "storage" of all those documents. 

Bottomline is, that the entire paperwork is one big useless, time consuming and money costing farce. A return trip adds SIX rubber stamps in red and blue - one full page each and every crossing - and absolutely nobody looks at any of the forms nor the ITP. No big deal, right - well, I cross 30+ yearly into Laos, go through two ITP booklets and a full pack of paper as I complete and print out the forms at home. I am not complaining and am pretty efficient, as far as my part is concerned; TM2, TM3 and TM4 got completed once, scanned and now I just print out a full set at home before leaving so I just add the date and my signatures. 

In closing, this is the procedure when crossing into Laos only. I drove also into neighbouring Myanmar; nobody on the Thai (as well as the Burmese) side ever heard anything about an ITP but the line-up of seriously heavy-duty photocopy machines were in full action replicating car registrations, passports and whatever-else-you-might-have in duplicate, triplicate and all to be signed (blue, not black and, god forbid, in red). Go to Cambodia - zero, zap, nada with ITP and temporary export/import permits. Leaving Satun in the South for Malaysia; yet another ball game. 

Tedious, boring, time-consuming, ridiculous and useless as really nobody gives a rats a"*ç%e about anything on these forms.  

Nobody needs to digitalize anything but just have a look how border crossings are done in the US or anywhere in Europe. Despite ASEAN and AEC2015 there is no improvement on the red tape and the bureaucracy. 

I am aware of the fact, that it would make thousands of public servants redundant and thousands of cubic metres of unused storage space for forms.

Just in case anyone wonders .......... digitalization is just converting procedures; really efficient would be to look over all the procedures first and only then use fancy words like .... digitalization ???? 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

It's going to take a lot more than that,the way things are

going it looks like they would like less Farangs to stay here.

regards Worgeordie

5 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Hmmm. I wonder which digit they are talking about and what they are going to do with it. Seems that the only "digitialisation" now is the finger pointing at Govt. photo ops.

Shows you know nothing about the subject, they have digital work permits.

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

IT-savvy?  What does that even mean?  There are a handful of popular web languages, which ones do they expect to use?  Coding is one challenge.  Knowing what to code is another.   These announcements are for government employees to get their 15 minutes of fame.  They lack any substantive information much like the current government itself.  

I know loads of Thais who know way more about IT than you and the other ignorant posters.

For anybody who wants to know where this is coming from and leading to:

1. Technocracy

2. Collectivism
3. United nations: Agenda 2030

4. Books to read: 1984, Brave new World

Full enslavement of the human race by the use of Technology.

The rule of (fake) Science !

Tools used:

Convenience

Security

Climate change

This is all very real and being used all over the world !

It is an old agenda/ideology and a very serious issue.

[Even though I think the next cold beer, any facebook like or twitter tweet will be way more

exiting for about 99% of the people ... people get the Governments they deserve !!!]

Ignorance is key in all of this !!!

If 'IT Savvy' means 'using facebook and instagram while walking very slowly' then I would have to agree.  If it means digital government services which speed up administration and reduce time for government processes then I would have to laugh long and hard. 

Archived