BANGKOK
webfact

Lack of critical thinking makes Thailand's competitiveness ranking slip

On 10/10/2019 at 8:22 AM, Eligius said:

Many of us here have said it numerous times, but it bears repeating: it is no accident that Thai education and critical thinking 'skills' are at rock bottom. The Thai system was designed that way. It is part of the faux-elite's tacit plan. Keep the 'peasants' stupid - and you can have your way with them and exploit them in all and every regard, and they will grovel and thank you for your abuse, with a lovely big smile and high wai. One sees it all the time.

There will be no resistance.

And the worst of the non-resisters will be the Masters Degree holders and Ph.D.s. They largely go along with the system and feather their own nest. 'I'm all right, Jack'.

Who needs critical thinking here? The whole country is a no-go area for genuine thought (let alone critical thought!). It is banned, verboten, the highest of all crimes.

Yes, well said...it is all about 'social engineering'... a brilliant initiative really.Instead of ruling by tyranny just remove the one psychological process that would lead to physical(social) disruption....in short give the underclasses a pseudo-lobotomy. If this state is a reflection of "Thai-ness", then no wonder we can't understand it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2019 at 11:13 AM, orientalist said:

How much better are private schools? My stepdaughter is in Por 1 at a school (with an English Course) that claims to teach critical thinking, but is it worth the 19,000 baht per term?

don't expect much for 19,000 THB per term.

Critical thinking ? Thais are taught that the world revolves around their country and other countries must adapt to their ways and we will get along fine without any “real critical analysis “ of the world and how it’s changing

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

29 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

Thais are taught that the world revolves around their country and other countries must adapt to their ways

Reminds me of some American (not all). 

On 10/10/2019 at 7:19 AM, Jimbo in Thailand said:

You only have to teach in the public schools here to understand why there is zero critical thinking and why Thai students perform at the bottom of the heap.  In a class of 40 students, for example, when you give a quiz you will typically only have 3 or 4 students who actually answer the questions.  The rest of the students will copy those students' papers.  When you check the results it will be obvious there will be 3 or 4 groups of matching papers with identical mistakes in each group.  Sad but true.

Public schools also can't fail a student, or hold him/her back from continuing on to the next grade level.  I was shocked to find that some of my rural Isaan high school students couldn't even read/write Thai language, much less English!  And yet, the Ministry of Education continues to be absolutely clueless as to the 'why'.

T. I. T. 🙄🙄🙄

That's perhaps a reason why it's so important that Kindergarten kids learn how to write computer programs. 

Not failing is a very important problem - it applies all the way through to tertiary education......just remember this when you meet a Thai doctor.

I often think that the great libertarian and advocate of freedom of speech, John Milton, must have travelled in a time machine into present-day Thailand when he wrote of the 'perpetual childhood of prescription' - everyone's constantly being told, like little children, to do this, and not do that. Orders from above all the way down the line.

No critical thinking allowed. No wonder Milton went blind!