30/25/20 baht > £1 when is it time to Quit ??

I said my cut off would be 45 and now it’s hovering over at 35 ????, see no reason why it wouldn’t drop to 25 baht to the £1 after Brexit and possibly even lower. 
At what point do I say this enough 15 baht to £1 ??? I work in UK half the time but sending money over is becoming gut wrenching ????

I’m Interested in others cut off & why ?

And also peoples alternative countries to reside and plans when it subs 25/baht to £1.  My whole family Thai wife / kids have UK passports 

This is not a troll post, so please any righteous folk who are fortunate to be in a position un-affected by the demise of Stirling, please keep your sarcasm to yourself !!

Impossible to forecast future rates of exchange.

Whenever story of Brexit agreement the pound stabilizes/strengthens so we will just have to wait and see.

I am down over B15K/ month on my monthly income from UK, since start of Brexit,  so I do sympathize.

john 

2 hours ago, jasonr3255 said:

At what point do I say this enough 15 baht to £1 ???

If you have work I don't see a problem unless your income is very low, I didn't before I retired here.

I remember sending money at the time and rates were up & down too, I just ask bank to send a set Baht amount so the rate didn't matter.

As I have before on here if £ got down to 15 then the Mrs will have to buy my beer.  ????

If you check the history of the exchange rate, you may find that the baht is roughly where it was 25 years ago. The Asian financial crisis had a lot to do with western currencies appreciating by 50% and more.

A reasonable cut-off is when you are unable to pay for your health insurance. Depending on the composition of your family, your health insurance  premium should be your biggest budget item. If it is not, cut down on other expenses.

7 minutes ago, john69 said:

A reasonable cut-off is when you are unable to pay for your health insurance.

My cut off point is when I can't get a VISA, then I'll be here on overstay until they catch me and chuck me out.

Plan B ..... after they've chucked me out, grow cannabis in a UK rented house until they catch me.

Plan C ..... live in UK prison, it can't be worse than a bedsit or care home.

7 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Impossible to forecast future rates of exchange.

Whenever story of Brexit agreement the pound stabilizes/strengthens so we will just have to wait and see.

I am down over B15K/ month on my monthly income from UK, since start of Brexit,  so I do sympathize.

john 

Its not the Baht that's strong ,its other countries money that's dropped in value so this would be the same in other counties. If you earn Baht Malaysia is good .

16 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

True that uncertainty is bad, but less than a divorce without agreement.

For the OP you have to wait a little longer. The 31 \ 10, we will know.
 - No deal. Pound plunges immediately and its depreciation is prolonged for several years.
 - 2 New extension. It rises immediately by 1 or 2 points and regains value in anticipation of a new referendum with a large majority pro EU
 - 3 Deal May or near. Immediate rise of 1 or 2 points and progressive recovery to exceed fairly quickly 40 b.

Just an opinion, eh..

This is a fair assesment.

Thus shows the benefits of having a good Thai wife that understands the situation and will go out and help make up the dropped 10k income per month if necessary.

As for 15 baht to the pound, I think that is highly unlikely. The baht / pound being that low would mean that every other currency on the planet would be madly low against the baht, and since Thailand lives on tourism the officials would not let it happen and them become too poor.

As for cut off point, I could probably go to 30, with wife working. 25 and i'd be turning my tennant out

Twenty would be good as that would translate my Thai Baht into a good pot if I ever chose to return. If you intend to stay long term somewhere it's better to convert what you have into that currency if you want to avoid any future exchange risk. I arrived 15 years ago and >95% of what I have has been in Thai Baht since.

43 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Its not the Baht that's strong ,its other countries money that's dropped in value so this would be the same in other counties. If you earn Baht Malaysia is good .

Of course the Baht is strong. And the pound is weak. 

1 hour ago, Victornoir said:

True that uncertainty is bad, but less than a divorce without agreement.

For the OP you have to wait a little longer. The 31 \ 10, we will know.
 - No deal. Pound plunges immediately and its depreciation is prolonged for several years.
 - 2 New extension. It rises immediately by 1 or 2 points and regains value in anticipation of a new referendum with a large majority pro EU
 - 3 Deal May or near. Immediate rise of 1 or 2 points and progressive recovery to exceed fairly quickly 40 b.

Just an opinion, eh..

Tories 15% ahead of Labour in current polls. I'm not sure if you have taken this into account. Further, should there be a no deal Brexit, I entirely agree the pound will fall further, but I entirely disagree it will be prolonged.

If the Baht gets to 15 to the pound you should have left already. 

If a pint (half liter) of draft beer is 150B in Bangkok (excluding happy hours) then one pint would cost ten pounds, which is too much. Of course if you live in the boondongles you might get a pint for 90B. In which case that would be 6 pounds which is also too much.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

As for 15 baht to the pound, I think that is highly unlikely. The baht / pound being that low would mean that every other currency on the planet would be madly low against the baht, and since Thailand lives on tourism the officials would not let it happen and them become too poor.

Some 70% of Thailand's GDP is from exports and another 10% from foreign tourists. So about 80% of the economy is loosing competitiveness due to the appreciating Baht.

The Government and Bank of Thailand have said they are comfortable with a high Baht and are happy to allow it to continue to appreciate, albeit at a slower rate.

So don't look for any currency exchange relief for a few years. It will take  a major economic shock for the government to realise that Thailand is dependent upon exports and a high Baht is doing the economy no favours. 

The cut of point for my Euro was 36 and I can see it reaching 30 and the pound won't be far behind.The problem with relocating is finding somewhere that you get more for your pound than you get in Thailand and that somewhere doesn't really exist.The PI is the place usually mentioned but the disadvantages outweigh any advantages Cambodia the same, Vietnam may be a bit cheaper but now its replaced Thailand on everybody's bucket list the prices across the board will soon start to rise.Its all a bit doom and gloom at the moment the only hope for the pound is that after brexit the UK gets turned into a low tax haven and then the pound will reach the sunny uplands.

You quit when you don't have the money to live here, or perhaps when you realize there are many places, other than Thailand, where you would be welcomed instead of despised.

I recently returned from a trip to UK and France and have sticker shock here.....it is much cheaper to live in Europe for food, clothing, and healthcare of course is less expensive or free....eating or drinking out is more expensive, but drinking at home is cheaper than here with great beers and wines and a large selection of each. Cigarettes are more expensive.....but if you like food and drink and healthcare, it's a no brainer, move back where you came from.

2 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

it is much cheaper to live in Europe for food, clothing, and healthcare of course is less expensive or free..

Renting is more expensive and so are the commodities ( electricity, gas, water).

In Flanders now, 

one has to pay 4 months rent ( 3 months guarantee, 1 month rent in advance ) before being allowed to enter your rental.

Don't forget that the GBP/THB exchange rate is not only down to the insanity of Brexit but also the strength of the Baht.

Having said that, there is just too much opposition to a no deal Brexit for it ever to happen. Only Johnson winning a thumping majority in the next general election could make it happen and even then, most of that majority would have to share Johnson's obsession with Brexit at any cost.

The only outcome I can envisage to this sorry Brexit saga is a second referendum and back to square one with a remain result. I only hope that this includes the demise of Boris Johnson's political career. 

2 hours ago, sadherbert said:

Twenty would be good as that would translate my Thai Baht into a good pot if I ever chose to return. If you intend to stay long term somewhere it's better to convert what you have into that currency if you want to avoid any future exchange risk. I arrived 15 years ago and >95% of what I have has been in Thai Baht since.

The risk cuts both ways , never sound to keep the majority of ones eggs in a single basket.

1 hour ago, Ketyo said:

If the Baht gets to 15 to the pound you should have left already. 

If a pint (half liter) of draft beer is 150B in Bangkok (excluding happy hours) then one pint would cost ten pounds, which is too much. Of course if you live in the boondongles you might get a pint for 90B. In which case that would be 6 pounds which is also too much.

OTOH out here in rural Khampaeng Phet a large cold Chang is 55 baht at my local grog shop and I drink at home or at my next door neighbours so it is not that expensive.

11 minutes ago, MosMing said:

Don't forget that the GBP/THB exchange rate is not only down to the insanity of Brexit but also the strength of the Baht.

Having said that, there is just too much opposition to a no deal Brexit for it ever to happen. Only Johnson winning a thumping majority in the next general election could make it happen and even then, most of that majority would have to share Johnson's obsession with Brexit at any cost.

The only outcome I can envisage to this sorry Brexit saga is a second referendum and back to square one with a remain result. I only hope that this includes the demise of Boris Johnson's political career. 

But if there is a second referendum and Leave wins again, then what will the Remainers do?

Ignore the result like the Lib/Dems want to do?

What will you do if the Tories win the general election? Ask for a rerun?

I gave up trying to predict the future past my next mealtime months ago. I found it less stressful.

20 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But if there is a second referendum and Leave wins again, then what will the Remainers do?

Ignore the result like the Lib/Dems want to do?

What will you do if the Tories win the general election? Ask for a rerun?

I gave up trying to predict the future past my next mealtime months ago. I found it less stressful.

No, I think a second vote to leave would draw a line under the whole thing, as would a general election giving Johnson a mandate for his insanity. The electorate knows how much sh**t will hit the fan when the UK leaves the EU this time round so if that's what they want, so be it. 

Archived