Why are you still here?

Pravda

Yesterday I was reading all the rants about the new insurance requirements and one post stuck with me....

An older gentlemen saying he was leaving Thailand and was hoping the Thai government will take care of his wife as well as he did.

Of course, many posters suggested that he was lowest of the low.

However, after decades of Farang supporting Thai wives, families, brothers and buffaloes, you'd expect that there would be some organized movement from these "families" that would make married guys in Thailand life a little easier. Just one person out of those millions could have gone and raised an issue to get at least some discussion going.... like in the case with TM30, but no one seems to care ????

So, why are you still here?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it in this country and I don't think this country owns me anything. You chose to take care of your wife (or that guy did) Nobody forced you why would Thailand own you anything.

I already got health insurance seems like a logical thing to do in this country. Its because of people defaulting and flaunting the rules that things get harder yet you see people advocating for it all the time. 

The only thing i think is crazy is the 40k outpatient thing. 

Spare a thought for the guy that has to leave. Imagine the pain and suffering he is going through.

He made a life here, has his loved ones here, and through no real fault of his own, the changes in regs, the collapse in currency, unable to work being elderly etc, then forced to go back to a country where he possibly knows no one and has to rely on welfare, say goodbye to everything he knows and has built.

There but for the grace of God .

And for those that can remain, that have that financial security, enjoy it as you don't know what is around the corner and when it might be your turn.

Anyone facing that dreadful reality and those very hard decisions, I wish you all the best.

59 minutes ago, Pravda said:

However, after decades of Farang supporting Thai wives, families, brothers and buffaloes, you'd expect that there would be some organized movement from these "families" that would make married guys in Thailand life a little easier.

Good point but has no meaning to these people, the same as people that have paid high taxes here for many years....no meaning to them!

5 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

because Thailand isn't getting Islamized like the West

happy to do TM30s/90-days/Health Insurance as long as it stays this way

The day might come when you are too old to get health insurance. That could mean that you will be forced to leave Thailand. 

Firstly, my next extension is not until mid 2020 so presumably by then it will be clearer about how they will enforce the insurance requirement.

Currently I self-insure and have more than enough assets to continue to do so for life.  If forced to insure, most of my pre-existing medical problems will not be covered. My age will dictate high premiums for little benefit and I will greatly resent this forced theft of my hard earned retirement funds. 

However, my age and medical problems combined with the familial roots I've established here would make moving to a third country beyond difficult. Going back to my home country and starting over is not even a consideration. The reasons for my leaving there 10 years ago have only become more evident and I now have fewer living friends and relatives for social support.

If forced to buy useless insurance, I will just have to bend over and take it. The missus, and many of her family, will be unhappy with a reduction in the free money they receive, but as long as the hospitals get their petty debts paid and the corrupt Insurance companies reap the rewards all will continue to be Thai.

I'm 55 , my wife 41. We have an adopted Thai daughter (3 years). I own a house (paid off) in the UK I rent out and have an early  pension too.

If I could get paperwork done today for daughter, sell my house and find a bigger house up north for 1/2 the cost, get the visas based on money in the bank, we'd be off by the end of the week.

So a case of having to be here currently, not necessarily wanting to be here

Because I have family here.

Because I knew the rules before I decided to move and work here 30 years ago.

Because I knew the rules before I decided to remain here once I retired from work earlier this year.

Because the recent "drastic" changes to those rules didn't affect me one bit.

Because I am free to do what I like.

Because I don't have to pay tax on my investments out of the country, saving me far, far more each year than the measly 800,000 I keep in my bank for my retirement visa.

Because I am happy here.

50 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Spare a thought for the guy that has to leave. Imagine the pain and suffering he is going through.

He made a life here, has his loved ones here, and through no real fault of his own, the changes in regs, the collapse in currency, unable to work being elderly etc, then forced to go back to a country where he possibly knows no one and has to rely on welfare, say goodbye to everything he knows and has built.

And for those that can remain, that have that financial security, enjoy it as you don't know what is around the corner and when it might be your turn.

Anyone facing that dreadful reality and those very hard decisions, I wish you all the best.

With the greatest respect-I don't think that it is always this way.

An "up and out" from Thailand is not the end of the world and can,in fact,lead to bigger and better things..

In my wife's case it has lead to a small (but prosperous) business,many friends,hope for the future,citizenship in the offing and the prospect of bringing her daughter to my country as well.

On my birthday there will be at least a half dozen Aussie/Thai couples as well as my Aussie friends.

I note with interest the amount of vicious attacks on this forum against those who have successfully transitioned back to the West.

In actual fact-I generally show these posts to any prospective Thailand re-locators- and ask (rhetorically) "Do you really want to be with such people?"

The answer,in my case,was no.

Missed the jump-off point to leave. 10 years ago. Now blocked with investments, responsibilities to family & staff & terminally ill. Biggest regret ever, not having packed up and 

checked out the world a bit more while I still could. Now limited to surfing the world by YouTube. Still kicking!  MS>

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Ok, but why would he have to leave now? I understand that it must be hard to not have any options and have to leave, but still there are options.

he could still get a NON-0 Multi in Savannakhet bases on marriage without financial proof and no need of health insurance. I guess he is just fed up, but he still have options and is not forced to leave.

45 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Firstly, my next extension is not until mid 2020 so presumably by then it will be clearer about how they will enforce the insurance requirement.

Currently I self-insure and have more than enough assets to continue to do so for life.  If forced to insure, most of my pre-existing medical problems will not be covered. My age will dictate high premiums for little benefit and I will greatly resent this forced theft of my hard earned retirement funds. 

However, my age and medical problems combined with the familial roots I've established here would make moving to a third country beyond difficult. Going back to my home country and starting over is not even a consideration. The reasons for my leaving there 10 years ago have only become more evident and I now have fewer living friends and relatives for social support.

If forced to buy useless insurance, I will just have to bend over and take it. The missus, and many of her family, will be unhappy with a reduction in the free money they receive, but as long as the hospitals get their petty debts paid and the corrupt Insurance companies reap the rewards all will continue to be Thai.

An elderly acquaintance of myself and a friend living in Pattaya was faced with financial and health issues that would have meant him having to go back to the UK.

Instead he jumped off his 7th floor balcony. It was in the news at the time and this was before all these visa and insurance regulations were on the cards.

You know who were up in his room with a locksmith while his corpse was still getting cold on the concrete. So don't expect much sympathy from the Thai government.

He was single but sadly more fellows may take the same way out in the near future and they may have wives and children who genuinely depend upon them.

Archived