Coffee shops/net cafes collecting WIFI data nothing to worry about say Thai police

webfact

Coffee shops/net cafes collecting WIFI data nothing to worry about say Thai police

2pm.jpg

Pictire: INN

The Royal Thai Police has responded to concerns that the collection of data at internet cafes and places offering WIFI is illegal and snooping.

Spokesman Lt-Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said that the public have nothing to fear. 

They can carry on as normal without worry. 

He was referring to the collection of log file data held for 90 days. 

He said that it was standard practice and had been law since 2007. 

Such measures helped in the capture of serious criminals, he added. 

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-10

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was referring to the collection of log file data held for 90 days. 

Held by whom ?

The cafe, the internet provider ???

Ah a search , seems to suggest this is in fact very recent and very much in international news!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/10/thai-cafes-forced-to-track-customers-wifi-use-sparking-free-speech-fears

I have a data SIM in my phone.

They already know my movements, down to every shop I stop by.

I can even view the information myself open google maps, click on timeline, then the day you want to see.

Does it really matter?

I use it to see where my gf goes in the day ........ she's only been to a 'hotel' without me once in the past two months.

Hardly been naughty at all, fresh food markets, kids school, 7-11, PEA, water authority, Makro.

Also shows any photo's she's taken with her phone.

19 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Held by whom ?

Ah a search , seems to suggest this is in fact very recent and very much in international news!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/10/thai-cafes-forced-to-track-customers-wifi-use-sparking-free-speech-fears

From your link:

"cafe owners retain a log file of their customers’ browsing data"

How would they do that, if one take preventive measures?

42 minutes ago, steven100 said:

If it has assisted in catching criminals then I'm all for it.

He was just being straight about the issue and answering the question as needed. 

what's the problem ….  

there are other ways of catching criminals.....POLICE do the job....get out on the roads and POLICE them.....

Does this apply to hotels, shopping centres, public wifi access points etc?

Have the police never heard of VPNs? I'm pretty sure any serious criminal would use one if he/she were doing anything untoward on a public wifi network.

It's reaching the stage where I may keep one permanenty activated, just for when I press the like button on one of Andrew McGregor Marshall's tweets!

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

If it has assisted in catching criminals then I'm all for it.

He was just being straight about the issue and answering the question as needed. 

what's the problem ….  

But what kind of criminals? The kind of criminals who smuggle heroin and use fake degrees to get important jobs in government? Seems like the current government don't care about these kind of criminals. 

11 minutes ago, cmsally said:

I would assume both...but certainly the Cafe   has (supposed) had to keep records of sites visited +  where supposed to have CCTV and ask for every customers  ID or passport details for a long time now.

38 minutes ago, essox essox said:

agree....privacy goes out of the window....and the rights of people....OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! what RIGHTS???

I often think that the young generation in particular have no real concept or appreciation of the notion of privacy (they voluntarily provide the Authorities every single detail of their lives, minute by minute, photo by photo, on Facebook and the like). 

With the Internet age, where EVERYTHING is stored and available to the Authorities for snooping and framing, nothing is private.

Yes, Orwell was so, so right.

5 minutes ago, topt said:

Just curious Is this a separate piece of software you have put on her phone?

Nope, just google maps, installed on every android phone that's sold.

If you have a persons 'play account' username and password, you can view all their movements from google maps 'timeline'.

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

Quote:

Thai business owners, especially small-scale operators, have complained the new rule would mean added cost, because they would have to purchase servers to store the data, while also burdening customers who would have to provide their personal information in order to log on to their wifi.

The ministry suggested coffee shops and internet cafes keep paper records if concerned about data storage costs.

So...  Employees of coffeeshops will look over your shoulder to write down the urls of websites you visit in a notebook ?

Funny, Prawit said the collecting of this information isn't a violation of people's privacy. Yet when these lot are caught for wearing million-baht watches or drug-smuggling convictions, etc, we always get told, "it's a personal matter". 

Worst thing is their priority when sifting through this information won't be to look for terrorists, etc. It will be to look for people criticizing those in power. 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you have a persons 'play account' username and password, you can view all their movements from google maps 'timeline'.

Thanks. I rooted my phone a while ago and have nothing "Google" on it but never knew you it would also slurp any pictures taken or is that because it is synchronized for back up?

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

On some phones can't you just switch it off or pause it if you want?

Archived