Coffee shops/net cafes collecting WIFI data nothing to worry about say Thai police

webfact

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I have a data SIM in my phone.

They already know my movements, down to every shop I stop by.

I can even view the information myself open google maps, click on timeline, then the day you want to see.

Does it really matter?

I use it to see where my gf goes in the day ........ she's only been to a 'hotel' without me once in the past two months.

Hardly been naughty at all, fresh food markets, kids school, 7-11, PEA, water authority, Makro.

Also shows any photo's she's taken with her phone.

If you have a moble phone, tablet, laptop you are tracked every time you use it

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this relates to actual Internet cafes etc. They would already be doing this by default since they have computers a servers already. 
cafes merely providing WiFi connection For your phone via a router would not be able to do this anyway, as with any establishment providing free WiFi. 
I doubt whether there are many expats, tourists etc who vet use an Internet cafe anymore. 

I sometimes let the local kids sit outside my house and log in to my WiFi. I guess I will have to change my password and stop doing this now as I have no idea who uses it or when, let alone storing that info for 90 days.

Storing this kind of data is not a problem, security and how it is used and/or manipulated, is a huge problem in countries run like Thailand. Oppressive laws such as les-majeste make it very worrying. Until Thailand has proper democracy and freedom of speech, never say, write, print or especially enter on any keyboard anything that can be used against you even when not in the country. 

5 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Don’t hold your breath, this isn’t gonna happen in our lifetime 

As long as Thailand is swaying towards China it will only get worse. My hope of retiring and living in Thailand is fading all the time now. At least global warming will make Blighty more bearable in the winter.

4 hours ago, zhounan said:

The last time I heard "don't worry", "don't think to much" I  found out that my wife had an affair with a colleague

When I found out my live in GF had affairs I just had to keep cool and quiet because she wasn't married to me.

I carried on normal without getting her suspicious that I knew, that's difficult to do mind you, you need to be very calm.

When she had her tantrum I said to her, "Calm down, don't worry, aren't you enjoying yourself?"  This last bit made her suddenly stop. She stared at me without talking. That's was fun when I thought about it years later.

She is well educated had worked for few years in the Bahamas.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I have a data SIM in my phone.

They already know my movements, down to every shop I stop by.

I can even view the information myself open google maps, click on timeline, then the day you want to see.

Does it really matter?

I use it to see where my gf goes in the day ........ she's only been to a 'hotel' without me once in the past two months.

Hardly been naughty at all, fresh food markets, kids school, 7-11, PEA, water authority, Makro.

Also shows any photo's she's taken with her phone.

Why the need to check up on your g/f in the day.....trust? Only asking

Moved here 31 years ago to escape all the rules and regulation of the USA. Never visited Singapore as it has too many rules and regulations. Slowly but surely this has all changed. Now we have as many or more stupid rules and laws here. All since the Army took over. The Thai citizens are waking up to this as well. Something brown and stinky is going to hit the wall in the near future. Since time began the Thai's have had a healthy disregard for petty rules, well they are not even petty rules anymore. Watch out Army boys, its going to happen..

I predict a new scam by the RTP, walking into a cafe with Wifi. asking them for the wifi log files over the last 90 days. As most cafe / bar or coffeeshop holders don't have any knowledge how to get it they will make an "arrest" but this all can be solved with a "cup of tea" paid by the manager !!!!

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They need to know where we are...all the time,

and now, what we are up to.George Orwell was

spot on, with the way things would be in the future,

dont worry,more to come.

regards worgeordie

Your communications provider knows where you at all times within a few meters.

I am not an IT expert and I wonder, if those log files show anything of interest to the police, if someone browses in a coffee using a VPN installed in his phone or notebook/tablet.  Does the log file simply show that he connected with the VPN or does it show more detail of what sites he visited and anything he posted there?

Easy to not get tracked here, or anywhere if you take the time to learn how.

1. Use a VPN provider (I use Mullvad and pay with bitcoin, no personal info needed)
  2. Use a DNS provider (I use 1.1.1.1 which is Cloudflare)
  3. If you're really paranoid use a Libreboot computer with free software. (I use a libreboot x200 running Parabola GNU/Linux)

18 minutes ago, marin said:

Moved here 31 years ago to escape all the rules and regulation of the USA. Never visited Singapore as it has too many rules and regulations. Slowly but surely this has all changed. Now we have as many or more stupid rules and laws here. All since the Army took over. The Thai citizens are waking up to this as well. Something brown and stinky is going to hit the wall in the near future. Since time began the Thai's have had a healthy disregard for petty rules, well they are not even petty rules anymore. Watch out Army boys, its going to happen..

When I first came about the same time Thailand was frequently commended for having the most free press in Asia after the Philippines, although Thai broadcasting media were all controlled by the government. Now look what has happened to freedom of expression in both  countries.  It is a tragedy.

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They need to know where we are...all the time,

and now, what we are up to.George Orwell was

spot on, with the way things would be in the future,

dont worry,more to come.

regards worgeordie

After this posting I will give my S8 away and go back to my old Nokia 5110 - if I can find it in the bottom drawer. 

10 minutes ago, moldresistant said:

Easy to not get tracked here, or anywhere if you take the time to learn how.

1. Use a VPN provider (I use Mullvad and pay with bitcoin, no personal info needed)
  2. Use a DNS provider (I use 1.1.1.1 which is Cloudflare)
  3. If you're really paranoid use a Libreboot computer with free software. (I use a libreboot x200 running Parabola GNU/Linux)

Why use cloudflare instead of the dns supplied by  the vpn?

Archived