Coffee shops/net cafes collecting WIFI data nothing to worry about say Thai police

webfact

6 hours ago, cmsally said:

Held by whom ?

The cafe, the internet provider ???

Ah a search , seems to suggest this is in fact very recent and very much in international news!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/10/thai-cafes-forced-to-track-customers-wifi-use-sparking-free-speech-fears

For maketing by VoIP companies. Happens in the UK also. Its common. Later police can retreive the data for any crimnal investigation

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

nothing to worry about says Thai police

Translated, you do need to worry !!

..well they can put the pressure on the service providers and access it all from them..but they expected the little guy to be their agents and do all the sifting through for them..LO Silliness.

So each person has to log in with ID? Otherwise how can you detect which log file goes back to which customer. Or are they going to rely on the device details linking the person to the IPs.

Might be possible for phones but more tricky for laptops etc.

5 hours ago, topt said:

Just curious Is this a separate piece of software you have put on her phone?

He said...."open google maps, click on timeline...." As long as you know someone's Google password it's simple. Check your own and see what I mean.

EDIT: But also read posts 27 to 29 which mention  that you CAN turn timeline off

RE - Coffee shops/net cafes collecting WIFI data

* Good, it would have been a an issue if they collected personal data and not only data about their WIFI ... :whistling:

collecting data for an internet provider or wifi spot is trivial.

Most enterprise or business routers have options to log all your http traffic.

It's like a vpn on the router, logging all requests.

In china you can use a vpn, but after a while that too gets blocked.

That's because although they cannot see inside, they can see what type of traffic (encrypted) you using.

Therefore, if they cannot see, then better block it completely because you must be up to no good if you are trying to access youtube or google maps.

so much for the EU privacy laws and gdpr stuff.

1 hour ago, VBF said:

He said...."open google maps, click on timeline...." As long as you know someone's Google password it's simple. Check your own and see what I mean.

EDIT: But also read posts 27 to 29 which mention  that you CAN turn timeline off

It has been answered several times already but if you read my reply (#25) to his reply post I don't have Google on my phone.

1 hour ago, moldresistant said:

Thanks for the link.

You may want to have a read of this to see what this guy says about Cloudflare -

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/choosing-the-best-vpn-for-you/

The VPN comparison tables are a bit of an eye opener.

35 minutes ago, topt said:

It has been answered several times already but if you read my reply (#25) to his reply post I don't have Google on my phone.

Bit confusing....

I was answering how you can track people who do have Google (the "standard" if you use an Android phone) and   @BritManToo  was discussing how a girlfriend was being tracked. Yes I agree if you've rooted the phone and don't have Android as an OS it changes the game, but that would be a minority of people, don't you think?

Edit: you thanked me whilst i was updating my comment - thank you too! ????????

Apologies if this has been covered already, I haven't read the entire thread.

Remember when all bars had to have surveillance cameras?  Well, you still see the odd one, but that pretty much died a death - and I never heard of anyone actually having any problems because of them.

Of course, if you're really worried, don't use WiFi.  Simples.

37 minutes ago, topt said:

Thanks for the link.

You may want to have a read of this to see what this guy says about Cloudflare -

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/choosing-the-best-vpn-for-you/

The VPN comparison tables are a bit of an eye opener.

Not related to the DNS but he's talking about VPN services that use CloudFlare DDoS protection, because they give out free SSLs for websites that hook into their service. They do have access to a lot of data for sure that way though most big name VPN providers don't do that anyways.

Now DNS is different. The reason I use CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 DNS is to fragment the data - CloudFlare only gets your DNS data, wherethe local ISP here normally has customer's DNS, content of non-HTTPS traffic (Cloudflare gets a non-zero percentage of this anyway), billing information, real identity etc.

Normally the ISPs can tie your DNS records to a real identity, where CloudFlare can only make inferences from the data and the source IP location. It gives two companies an incomplete picture, rather than one knowing EVERYTHING. CloudFlare promise to not do so is also a non-zero consideration - it's clearly unenforceable/you would never know, but the mere promise is probably better than many ISPs.

More info https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/04/how-to-keep-your-isps-nose-out-of-your-browser-history-with-encrypted-dns/

If you use Firefox it's easy to fragment your data with DNS over HTTPS. Just click Preferences > Network Settings and scroll down to the bottom.

You can use another DNS provider if you're not comfortable with CloudFlare or even make your own recursive DNS server using a cheap Raspberry Pi running Unbound.

dns.jpg

Archived