Coffee shops/net cafes collecting WIFI data nothing to worry about say Thai police

webfact

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, topt said:

Thanks for the link.

You may want to have a read of this to see what this guy says about Cloudflare -

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/choosing-the-best-vpn-for-you/

The VPN comparison tables are a bit of an eye opener.

What he says about Cloudflare is 100% nonsense. He clearly doesn't understand anything.

Quote:

Additionally, CloudFlare, Incapsula, and similar services have recently become popular with websites for their DDoS protection and dynamic bandwidth scaling. However, these services act as an additional man in the middle between your VPN’s website and you. In the wrong hands, the information they collect and have access to about your VPN’s website, and your interaction with it, could be compromised. Avoid VPNs that use CloudFlare, Incapsula, and other such services.

Cloudflare is put in front of a website. So when you want to see a webpage you do connect with Cloudflare. Cloudflare gives you the webpage from it's own cache. If the webpage is not in the cache the page is requested from the website itself. For websites this is nice. Cloudlfare keeps the webpage in cache. So even when thousands of people want to see your content all requests are handled by Cloudflare.

When a website uses Cloudflare there is no way to bypass this.  All VPN's will get the pages from Cloudflare. No exceptions. His advice to avoid VPN's that use Cloudflare is laughable.

13 minutes ago, topt said:

Just for accuracy it is still Android OS but customised.

If you are interested good explanation here - https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-root/

Ah...I knew that but I did say "if you've rooted the phone and don't have Android as an OS" 

After all, you MAY have opted out of Android altogether rather than JUST rooting an existing Android OS

https://itsfoss.com/open-source-alternatives-android/   or    https://fossbytes.com/android-alternatives-open-source-linux/

All depends how much of a Geek you are and how much time you want to spend tweaking the OS to work on the particular hardware! (Geek being a compliment, by the way)

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I have a data SIM in my phone.

They already know my movements, down to every shop I stop by.

I can even view the information myself open google maps, click on timeline, then the day you want to see.

Does it really matter?

I use it to see where my gf goes in the day ........ she's only been to a 'hotel' without me once in the past two months.

Hardly been naughty at all, fresh food markets, kids school, 7-11, PEA, water authority, Makro.

Also shows any photo's she's taken with her phone.

But remember to report every 90 days as they do not know where you are. 

54 minutes ago, VBF said:

Ah...I knew that but I did say "if you've rooted the phone and don't have Android as an OS" 

After all, you MAY have opted out of Android altogether rather than JUST rooting an existing Android OS

https://itsfoss.com/open-source-alternatives-android/   or    https://fossbytes.com/android-alternatives-open-source-linux/

All depends how much of a Geek you are and how much time you want to spend tweaking the OS to work on the particular hardware! (Geek being a compliment, by the way)

Not much of one unfortunately - and not a masochist either in terms of most of the Android alternatives :biggrin:

13 minutes ago, topt said:

Not much of one unfortunately - and not a masochist either in terms of most of the Android alternatives :biggrin:

That's the truth....... I've got enough geeking to do with Windozy and Mint on my various desk and laptops.....my phone is Android One "bog-standard" with the Apps I need - period!

I have a data SIM in my phone.
They already know my movements, down to every shop I stop by.
I can even view the information myself open google maps, click on timeline, then the day you want to see.

Does it really matter?
I use it to see where my gf goes in the day ........ she's only been to a 'hotel' without me once in the past two months.
Hardly been naughty at all, fresh food markets, kids school, 7-11, PEA, water authority, Makro.
Also shows any photo's she's taken with her phone.
Well, just turn off your location in your phone and there are no places to be seen. I don't understand anyway why people have to turn it on in the first place.. Unless you use your phone as navigation tool.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

WHY, I will never understand why anyone would need to have access to all this <deleted> all the time. i use my ;aptop at home...My simple cell phone makes and receives phone calls. I couldnt care less about knowing what susie did last night while I am out and about.

People should realize or understand that so much of their personal and professional life data, interactions, shopping habits, travels, and many other aspects of their lives are being routinely recorded or monitored both at work and outside of work.   Now, what is done with that information..........

3 minutes ago, billybog said:

WHY, I will never understand why anyone would need to have access to all this <deleted> all the time. i use my ;aptop at home...My simple cell phone makes and receives phone calls. I couldnt care less about knowing what susie did last night while I am out and about.

I too use a simple old 3g voice and text phone.  No wifi, no internet, no gps.  Now having said that, there have been many times when a mapping location app, or access to the internet for some information would have been useful, perhaps even very helpful.  But most people abuse the darn things and just chat, can't hold a thought in their head so they feel the need to use their thumbs to fiddle on something and look at some useless piece of information.  Heads down, not even paying attention to the world around them.  I hate the things

4 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

People should realize or understand that so much of their personal and professional life data, interactions, shopping habits, travels, and many other aspects of their lives are being routinely recorded or monitored both at work and outside of work.   Now, what is done with that information..........

does that mean they know how much p iss i'm drinking today and who i'm banging as much as I can  ? 

Just now, steven100 said:

does that mean they know how much p iss i'm drinking today and who i'm banging as much as I can  ? 

You might be surprised.  If you pay with a credit card, yes they could know your drinking habits.  If you are in a public place, you are probably on a security camera.  If they decided to target or research a person, they can gather a lot of information

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

You might be surprised.  If you pay with a credit card, yes they could know your drinking habits.  If you are in a public place, you are probably on a security camera.  If they decided to target or research a person, they can gather a lot of information

ok …. i'm gunna start wearing a mask in 7-11

Just now, steven100 said:

so i'm going to the mask shop tomorrow to get a full rubber mask 

And then get a pillow sack or big paper bag and go to the nearest bank that has lots of security guards (highly trained they are no doubt) and approach the most skittery nervous looking teller.  Let us know how that works out

Am I the only one to challenge his statement:  "Such measures helped in the capture of serious criminals, he added." Sir-show me the cases where this procedure has resulted in the capture of criminals.  When the government enacts a policy that can impinge on personal freedom, it is my opinion, that the burden of proof falls on the government to show why it is necessary.  Note- As expressed by the English jurist William Blackstone in his seminal work, Commentaries on the Laws of England, published in the 1760s- "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."  In Thailand, evidently, shoot first, ask questions later.  Not surprising in this land of uncritical thinking, no newspaper reporter would dare ask the government to prove their justification.  They should all go back and study Investigational Journalism 101.

A VPN is used to hide the IP address of the originator, not the URL of a web page.

If you are logged on to a wifi point, your http request will be sent to the VPN. However, the wifi point will have the full and original URL being sought. If the log files of the website were checked, a request could not be tracked back to your machine, but these log files are held at the wifi point and would include the full http request including the URL.

And to correct some more fake news, Google timeline is by default set to off. If you ask for it to be turned on, don't be surprised if you find it works....

Archived