Coffee shops/net cafes collecting WIFI data nothing to worry about say Thai police

webfact

19 hours ago, cmsally said:

Held by whom ?

The cafe, the internet provider ???

Ah a search , seems to suggest this is in fact very recent and very much in international news!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/10/thai-cafes-forced-to-track-customers-wifi-use-sparking-free-speech-fears

We  are all tracked, apple phones are bad for this, androids also now can restore data from an old apple you once used.

I changed to an android from my old apple and retrieved my data, not only did I get the data from the apple but I got phone numbers from just about every phone I ever had, numbers of friends I call in Thailand from old phones that died years ago.

How ever data storing at internet cafes will be a nightmare as Thai children play games for hours in these places.

Still the secret police will have to sift through this game data to know what these kids are up to.

Pol Pots internet cafes.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, steven100 said:

If it has assisted in catching criminals then I'm all for it.

He was just being straight about the issue and answering the question as needed. 

what's the problem ….  

His lips are moving... 

I do not trust them at all. There are many reasons not to trust any government.

Governments are only there to protect the interests of the rich and powerful.

Therefore, I can only recommend everybody, to use incognito browsers, as TOR,

VPN and all the other well known precautions to pretect the own privacy.

22 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

God when I first read this I thought I was in North Korea, this Country is obsessed with knowing where everyone is at all times,... 

There was an old Twilight Zone TV show episode from early 1960s?  Peter Faulk was a south american dictator, no doubt being a parody of Cuban Fidel Castro.  He kept looking in a mirror and seeing conspiracy, everybody scheming behind his back, etc.  Dictators rarely want to give up power.  It really is amazing how in fairly information connected country such as Thailand this sort of nonsense is happening and getting worse.   People take a lot of crapola and then take more crapola.  Social pressure, government pressure.  Dissenting just gets one no where.  People need their jobs and income and just keep hoping they can get along. 

Movie "V for Vendetta".  quote "people should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people".  Perhaps a bit extreme.  But governments should be accountable to the people that elected them.  Oh wait, "elected".   Failing already.  People should be able to redress disagreements, remove officials..   Hmmm.  Anybody see any Thai impeachment process for judges, or parliament?  Nah.  All up to whatever the big PM wants to do

On 10/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, BritManToo said:

Nope, just google maps, installed on every android phone that's sold.

If you have a persons 'play account' username and password, you can view all their movements from google maps 'timeline'.

And, if you have that information, you can use one of the ‘find my phone’ apps to know exactly where she is at any time... Day or night!!!

4 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

And, if you have that information, you can use one of the ‘find my phone’ apps to know exactly where she is at any time... Day or night!!!

so much trust, checking on some one else phone location

40 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

so much trust, checking on some one else phone location

Just trying to help you guys with your young brides who  worry where is she shopping now.

Of coarse find my phone apps are very useful if you’re absent minded 

On 10/11/2019 at 12:05 AM, mrfill said:

A VPN is used to hide the IP address of the originator, not the URL of a web page.

If you are logged on to a wifi point, your http request will be sent to the VPN. However, the wifi point will have the full and original URL being sought. If the log files of the website were checked, a request could not be tracked back to your machine, but these log files are held at the wifi point and would include the full http request including the URL.

And to correct some more fake news, Google timeline is by default set to off. If you ask for it to be turned on, don't be surprised if you find it works....

This is wrong.  The VPN app èncrypts all data on your phone before it goes to the WiFi point except fot the iP or URL of the VPN itself.  The VPN iP or URL is the only unencrýpted info the WiFi point knows.

These absurd paranoid comments are made by people who regularly hand over their credit / debit cards, use Google, Facebook, Instagram, online banking, THAI VISA .... etc, etc, etc.

Oh wait ... never mind .. forgot this is the Grumpy Farang Network and processes used in the "White World" (Read: "Standard Operating Procedure) are pure Evil here in LOS.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:22 AM, steven100 said:

If it has assisted in catching criminals then I'm all for it.

He was just being straight about the issue and answering the question as needed. 

what's the problem ….  

Do you have any limits of what invasions of privacy and individual citizen tracking/surveillance that you will tolerate to gain the 'protection' of authorities?

In the USA this monster morphed into Homeland Security, the real police authority that routinely and methodically gains more power and control over US citizens each passing day.

The elephant in the room question is : where does it stop?

This is a slippery slope indeed and a wave of citizen control that is engulfing the world and will doubtless have tragic consequences for all of us.

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Do you have any limits of what invasions of privacy and individual citizen tracking/surveillance that you will tolerate to gain the 'protection' of authorities?

In the USA this monster morphed into Homeland Security, the real police authority that routinely and methodically gains more power and control over US citizens each passing day.

The elephant in the room question is : where does it stop?

This is a slippery slope indeed and a wave of citizen control that is engulfing the world and will doubtless have tragic consequences for all of us.

Too late, the slippery slope has been enacted, as Lord Denning said many years ago, "One does not protect democracy by undermining it" but all bills about national security have been allowed to pass without much debate for over a decade now, way too late, the conservative rights are well in control.

Just now, RJRS1301 said:

Too late, the slippery slope has been enacted, as Lord Denning said many years ago, "One does not protect democracy by undermining it" but all bills about national security have been allowed to pass without much debate for over a decade now, way too late, the conservative rights are well in control.

Absolutely correct RJR. I agree with you and deeply lament the loss of freedom in my homeland. The only good thing to come from the Rise of the Orange Despot is that America seems to waking up and realizing where they are going. Maybe it's too late, but it's worth a fight at least.

I've been here 3 years but am currently considering buying a house here and selling my property at home. I presciently moved most of my cash and metals to Singapore years ago. I'll maintain a very low cash profile is US banks from now on.

I think control has been lost and now I just watch the slow motion train wreck happen from a safe distance.

Very soon however, as more governments warm to the new frontiers of surveillance and control, there will be no safe distance.

I'm don't like getting old but rejoice that I'm on the way out instead of the way in now.

On 10/10/2019 at 4:58 PM, cmsally said:

So each person has to log in with ID? Otherwise how can you detect which log file goes back to which customer. Or are they going to rely on the device details linking the person to the IPs.

Might be possible for phones but more tricky for laptops etc.

They have been required to take ID or passport numbers for some time but I am not sure if they need a photocopy or verification, or just rely on self-disclosure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 11:54 AM, chado said:

are there morons who enter their real name, facebook, phone and email to connect to wifi?

No only passwords for the creditcard, personal data like email, paypal passwords, LINE pw and so on....nothing to worry about ????

Archived