Is it possible to have two work permits in Phuket?

Hello Everyone,

Wishing you all a very good morning from Phuket. I wanted to ask if it's possible to obtain two work permits from different companies in Phuket? 

I'm an Indian passport holder and I currently have a job with a company in Phuket, but if they let me go then I basically have 24 hours to get out of the country. 

This is why I want to have a second work permit as a back-up plan. Does Phuket immigration allow this? 

Alternatively, I have heard that I can have an extra address added to my current work permit, so that I will have two addresses from one company. This would mean that if one company lets me go, I don't have to leave the country because I still have my other work-permit. 

Apparently the work-permit is owned by immigration and not individual companies. Is this possible?

I would be very grateful if someone could clear that up for me.

Warm regards!

ubonjoe is correct is what he says.  You only get one work permit for one job so if you have another job then you need another work permit even if it is part time you need another work permit.  You should contact the DOE of the Labor Ministry they will give you the information you need.

9 minutes ago, stephehr said:

ubonjoe is correct is what he says.  You only get one work permit for one job so if you have another job then you need another work permit even if it is part time you need another work permit.  You should contact the DOE of the Labor Ministry they will give you the information you need.

I had two different positions in Chonburi province. Providing the primary employer agrees you add the second company to the existing work permit, no requirements to obtain a separate WP. I was under the impression that legislation earlier this year allowed Foreigners with a WP to carry out any number of legal work at any location on just one WP.

23 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

The new work permits don't mention your employer or address anymore. You don't get a book but a digital on your phone now.

Thank you for your response! I got my work permit in Phuket over a month ago, it's still a book. I believe it's digitised in Bangkok now.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration does not issue work permits and has nothing to with them other than checking you have a valid one when applying for an extension of stay.

The DOE of the Labor Ministry issue work permits.

Thank you to everyone for your help!

I checked with a lawyer who tells me that I can have one work permit with two employers. But if the first company that hired me is the one that let's me go, then regardless of having a second employer on my work-permit, I still need to re-enter the country.

In this case my question is, will I face any issues at Suvarnabhumi Airport immigration when re-entering the country? 

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

I had two different positions in Chonburi province. Providing the primary employer agrees you add the second company to the existing work permit, no requirements to obtain a separate WP. I was under the impression that legislation earlier this year allowed Foreigners with a WP to carry out any number of legal work at any location on just one WP.

Wrong information on working anywhere doing anything.

1 hour ago, Ama Rylls said:

I checked with a lawyer who tells me that I can have one work permit with two employers. But if the first company that hired me is the one that let's me go, then regardless of having a second employer on my work-permit, I still need to re-enter the country.

To have a 2nd employer added to your current work permit requires permission from the employer that supported the application for it.

You stay in the country is separate from you work permit.

I you are on an extension of stay based upon working for the employer that supported your work permit and you leave that job your permit to stay will end on the date it ends.

It is not simple matter of leaving and re-entering the country if you extension ends. You would need to start over again by getting a new non-b visa and apply for a new extension of stay.

I you are on a 90 day entry from a multiple entry non-b visa it would remain valid until the visa expires.

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

To have a 2nd employer added to your current work permit requires permission from the employer that supported the application for it.

You stay in the country is separate from you work permit.

I you are on an extension of stay based upon working for the employer that supported your work permit and you leave that job your permit to stay will end on the date it ends.

It is not simple matter of leaving and re-entering the country if you extension ends. You would need to start over again by getting a new non-b visa and apply for a new extension of stay.

I you are on a 90 day entry from a multiple entry non-b visa it would remain valid until the visa expires.

The new digital work permit states the following:

a 13 digit number

work permit number

name

date of birth

nationality

passport or travel document

permitted locality of work

permitted category of work 

conditions (in my case none)

your picture and signature

So no address or employer anymore.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:11 AM, FritsSikkink said:

The new work permits don't mention your employer or address anymore. You don't get a book but a digital on your phone now.

Mine issued 3 months ago is a book and has my employer listed.

Wait what? I'm up for renewal next month, will they take my blue book away? (I'm in Bangkok) I'd rather not have a work permit on my phone. Also what's the implication with it not stating the employer? I could work anywhere without raising eyebrows?

3 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

Wait what? I'm up for renewal next month, will they take my blue book away? (I'm in Bangkok) I'd rather not have a work permit on my phone. Also what's the implication with it not stating the employer? I could work anywhere without raising eyebrows?

You can work anywhere in Thailand if your present employer asks you to and then registers you working there on your WP with the local labour office and they are ok with it.

You can't just leave BKK with your WP and start work for another company using that WP. The day you stop working in BKK means end of WP and extension. Even with a multi entry visa that stays valid your WP should be cancelled/handed back.

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You can work anywhere in Thailand if your present employer asks you to and then registers you working there on your WP ....You can't just leave BKK with your WP

My understanding was that I could work anywhere in the country as long as it's another branch of the same company. As the new work permits don't state the name of that company. If for example I was working at another company and immigration happen to pop by to say 'hello', do you think there's any chance that flashing a generic work permit that doesn't state where I should be working be enough to satisfy their suspicions?

Edited by Greyhat

1 hour ago, Greyhat said:

My understanding was that I could work anywhere in the country as long as it's another branch of the same company. As the new work permits don't state the name of that company. If for example I was working at another company and immigration happen to pop by to say 'hello', do you think there's any chance that flashing a generic work permit that doesn't state where I should be working be enough to satisfy their suspicions?

If they ask for your PP as well and the extension was issued in BKK and you were in ChiangMai not raise eyebrows?

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

In Bangkok from the BOI you get a digital one. Maybe some office want to get rid of their books first or they don't have access to the digital system.

Probably don't have access to digital system, It was at EEC One Stop Sriracha.

2 hours ago, Greyhat said:

Makes it a pain in the <deleted> buying a car and stuff with no address in the work permit.... annoying to have to take time off work to get a residency certificate............... well it did for me anyways.