Video: Driver sacked after hitting barrier going across Bangkok level crossing

webfact

Video: Driver sacked after hitting barrier going across Bangkok level crossing

3pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

A bus driver in Bangkok has been sacked after footage emerged of him going across a level crossing in downtown Bangkok and hitting the descending barrier. 

But the story contained many details showing the shocking state of the regulations regarding buses being operated by companies for the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA), notes Thaivisa. 

A driver who didn't even know the route had taken over because the regular driver had a stomach ache. 

A dash cam video posted by SpringNews online on YouTube showed the number 8 bus tearing over the tracks and hitting the barrier. The post said that the passengers were terrified. 

The incident happened on Sri Ayuthaya Road on Monday evening.

A firestorm on social media led to a woman called Nitikarn taking her younger brother Thaninwat to the BMTA. She said that her brother was not driving, that was being done by a man called Prathan instead as her brother was unwell. 

Thaninwat said that he had stomach trouble. He'd already done two shifts and for the third he let Prathan take over so he could earn some money. 

Thaninwat said he was also on the bus so he could tell Prathan the route. 

He explained there was a mix-up over the red and green lights countdown resulting in his buddy going through the barrier. 

The BMTA listened to the explanation before sacking Prathan.

They fined 39 Group Dern Rot (the operator of the service) the top rate of 5,000 baht. 

The number 8 was taken off the road for seven days from October 9th to 15th. 

The company was warned to comply with BMTA regulations and warned of even more severe sanctions in the future if there were any more transgressions. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-10

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

He explained there was a mix-up over the red and green lights countdown resulting in his buddy going through the barrier. 

Well,... the barriers could really fall even in green light, happened to me 2 times in the past,.... a very scary thought when you want to cross the rail road track even if we have green light.....

The other issue was bad management and abuse of Human nature causing drivers to overwork themselves as they get paid "by the trip"..... bad business and human capital operations as always in the pesky transportation industry

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

Yes, those red and green countdowns can be very confusing....for someone with an minus figure IQ. 

Before I even read the text, I guessed it would be the number 8 bus line.   Going through history number 8 has the worst reputation for dangerous driving, going through red lights, screaming abusively at passengers. There are many examples.

The reason behind it is, their drivers and conductors are incentivised to do as many circuits per day, which leads to them driving dangerously to be fast.

I don't know why this line operator has continued to hold the franchise through the years.

1 hour ago, drbrit said:

Before I even read the text, I guessed it would be the number 8 bus line.   Going through history number 8 has the worst reputation for dangerous driving, going through red lights, screaming abusively at passengers. There are many examples.

The reason behind it is, their drivers and conductors are incentivised to do as many circuits per day, which leads to them driving dangerously to be fast.

I don't know why this line operator has continued to hold the franchise through the years.

Held the franchise for many years because the fines are peanuts

Looking at the video it seems as though something is very wrong with the lights and barriers. The lights are on red and everyone stopped except the bus. Then the barrier starts to come down then the lights turn green. Meanwhile the traffic on the other side is flowing even before the green light. 

I doubt if there was any confusion with the countdown timer. He probably saw the timer showing it was about to turn green and the barrier was up so thought it was safe to go (possibly like the oncoming traffic). Then for some reason the barrier came down when it should have already been down and now going up.

He should not have gone through the red light but it doesn't look like the barrier was doing what it should either.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Yeah right... There's the sound warning for at least 30 seconds with the orange lights blinking before the barriers come down, which is about a minute before the train passes (at least on adjacent crossing to where this has happened, so I'd say it's the same there). That was complete BS excuse and the penalty of 5k baht should get a couple of 0s at the back for anyone to take it seriously.

No. 8 was for 20+ years back been considered the worst bus line with drivers who don't respect any traffic laws or regulations. I remember taking it from Central Lat Phrao to Foodland Lat Phrao, which should be about 20 minutes or so... wrecked a MicroBus (yes, long time ago) immediately, after which conductor and driver discussed how cheap that was... and in front of Foodland hit a car coming out from the parking lot... this time bus was wrecked at the front and everyone had to get off...

I don't live there anymore and rarely if ever take buses now, but if 8 was the only one available and there was no other transport - I'd rather walk.

RE - He explained there was a mix-up over the red and green lights countdown resulting in his buddy going through the barrier. 

* Not possible to mix red and green unless you are colorblind ... :whistling:

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Yes, those red and green countdowns can be very confusing....for someone with an minus figure IQ. 

And what is the point of them anyway? I can understand them for pedestrians who know how long they have left to cross safely. But the only purpose of having them for vehicles is to make drivers speed up when they are 10 seconds away and the countdown is at five. Really, what purpose do they serve?

2 hours ago, chang1 said:

Looking at the video it seems as though something is very wrong with the lights and barriers. The lights are on red and everyone stopped except the bus. Then the barrier starts to come down then the lights turn green. Meanwhile the traffic on the other side is flowing even before the green light. 

I doubt if there was any confusion with the countdown timer. He probably saw the timer showing it was about to turn green and the barrier was up so thought it was safe to go (possibly like the oncoming traffic). Then for some reason the barrier came down when it should have already been down and now going up.

He should not have gone through the red light but it doesn't look like the barrier was doing what it should either.

It didn't appear to confuse the other drivers, did it.

Archived