Video: Driver sacked after hitting barrier going across Bangkok level crossing

webfact

20 hours ago, webfact said:

He explained there was a mix-up over the red and green lights countdown resulting in his buddy going through the barrier. 

Yes I fully understand this problem.... it happens at every set of traffic lights.

normally it's a green light changing to red, when it's red then count down 10 more seconds but keep going.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

But the story contained many details showing the shocking state of the regulations regarding buses being operated by companies for the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA), notes Thaivisa. 

It is not only bus drivers that flout the laws, Thai people in general have absolutely no regard for any rules and regulations.

20 hours ago, mercman24 said:

i like that *a mix up over the lights* i think 99% of thai drivers have this same problem,  do ya think it some kind of hereditary eye problem, like RED means GO, ha ha

Well, 99% is a very gross exaggeration indeed, even by TVF's hyperbolic standards.

Do note that there are plenty of drivers in the video who were not confused by the lights and were waiting patiently.

None the less, this a shocking display of driving by any standards and I hope that his licence has been pulled along with his job.

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:
20 hours ago, chang1 said:

Looking at the video it seems as though something is very wrong with the lights and barriers. The lights are on red and everyone stopped except the bus. Then the barrier starts to come down then the lights turn green. Meanwhile the traffic on the other side is flowing even before the green light. 

I doubt if there was any confusion with the countdown timer. He probably saw the timer showing it was about to turn green and the barrier was up so thought it was safe to go (possibly like the oncoming traffic). Then for some reason the barrier came down when it should have already been down and now going up.

He should not have gone through the red light but it doesn't look like the barrier was doing what it should either.

It didn't appear to confuse the other drivers, did it.

"I doubt if there was any confusion with the countdown timer."

In this sentence I am saying that even the bus driver may not have been confused.

"He probably saw the timer showing it was about to turn green and the barrier was up so thought it was safe to go (possibly like the oncoming traffic)."

Here I am speculating on the real reason he went through. Also, are the vehicles on the other side "confused"? They start moving early, assuming the green lights come on at the same time on both sides of the road.

Archived