Jump to content
BANGKOK
WeekendRaider

US social security how to begin?

Recommended Posts

for those who will use direct deposit to Bangkok Bank, which do you do first?  call the Philippines to get it started or first open a special Bangkok Bank passbook account for US Social Security??? 

Edited by WeekendRaider

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to open the direct deposit account at Bangkok Bank first. The will handle submitting the SF1199 form to Manila to get it the direct deposits started. Here is the SF1199 form you can complete in advance. https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/SF1199A-12a.pdf?forceDownload=1

Info for opening the account is here. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

One very important thing is that you are using your address here for the SSA. If not your transfers may not be done in the ACH required  IAT format.

wow!  it wasn't a stupid question at all!  for me that's a big surpise.  and it was ubonjoe that answered!!!! 

thank you very much. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

You can have a direct deposit of SS payments made to a regular savings account.

I had Bangkok Bank fill out the form mentioned above with their Swift code.

I then mailed the form to Manila.

 

About 45 days later my first payment arrived.  On the third of the month, as usual.

No fees, and accessible with an ATM card.

Terry

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, TerryLH said:

You can have a direct deposit of SS payments made to a regular savings account.

I had Bangkok Bank fill out the form mentioned above with their Swift code.

I then mailed the form to Manila.

 

About 45 days later my first payment arrived.  On the third of the month, as usual.

No fees, and accessible with an ATM card.

Terry

 

 

There is one fee....a Bt100 BahtNet receiving fee.  But all other fees are paid by the US govt.  Unless you have your acct setup to send you the free international remittance text you will not see the fee as it's not shown anywhere else.  The fee is applied "before" posting to your acct just like how the ACH receiving fee (0.25% Bt200 min, Bt500 max) is applied....you will only see if setup to receive the remittance text.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Why does the Phillipines come into it...no explaination of it in the OP ?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Why does the Phillipines come into it...no explaination of it in the OP ?

The FBU office for Thailand and many other nations in the region is in Manila. FBU means Foreign Benefits Unit. There is no office in Thailand for that and the embassy has no involvement. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

What is the benefit of having SSA send your payment directly to Thailand as outlined above vs having it sent to your bank in the US and then having it transferred by your bank in the US to your bank in Thailand? Is it an exchange rate thing?

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

What is the benefit of having SSA send your payment directly to Thailand as outlined above vs having it sent to your bank in the US and then having it transferred by your bank in the US to your bank in Thailand? Is it an exchange rate thing?

Various reasons I expect such maybe no longer having a bank in the US, not wanting to incur monthly transfer fees, not being ibanking/money transfer service oriented, simple convenience, etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

What is the benefit of having SSA send your payment directly to Thailand as outlined above vs having it sent to your bank in the US and then having it transferred by your bank in the US to your bank in Thailand? Is it an exchange rate thing?

I guess if your address is an US address, you can not direct deposit to your Thailand account. Then you need to do it the way you mentioned and if you don’t need to transfer every month (using 800,000) then you can transfer whenever you need money and keep the fund in US banks.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Last months BKB Thailand deposit was returned to the US. A new law was enforced where my Thailand address has to be known at the NY branch where the initial deposits from SSA are transacted. It took a few days to rectify.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/12/2019 at 8:32 PM, Pib said:

Please note you have two options now to have your SSA benefit paid to Thailand.  One is via ACH (Automated Clearing House) and the other International Direct Deposit (IDD).

 

If you choose the ACH transfer option which uses the form ubonjoe provided in the link you may have the benefit payment sent to "only Bangkok Bank" as Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank capable of receiving payments via ACH.  And you will be required to have a Bangkok Bank special direct deposit acct which comes with various restrictions like you can only withdraw/transfer funds by psychically visiting a branch, no debit card for the acct, etc.  And as ubonjoe mentioned if having the payment sent to Bangkok Bank you will need to have your Thailand address on-file with SSA otherwise come Jan 2020 you may experience payment problems due to pending policy changes regarding required use of ACH IAT. 

 

However if you choose to have your SSA paid via IDD which uses the SWIFT system you can have your payment sent to any Thai bank to include a regular Bangkok Bank acct which has no restrictions.  But it must be a Thai baht acct; not a USD acct.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

 

Now without getting into the weeds too much if you are using the monthly income option with Thai immigration to renew an annual extension of stay where the transfers need to be coded at "international transfers" then using ACH to Bangkok Bank will always result in International Transfer coding.  However, if using IDD the final leg of the transfer is a local transfer which results in a Bahnet Transfer coding and this may require you go get Credit Advices from your Thai bank to prove the transfer was really international. 

 

Also, if your SSA payment is approx $800 or higher using ACH will result in a little more baht hitting your acct due to a slightly better exchange rate than used by IDD.  But if your acct is around $800 or less you will get a little more baht due to a lower transfer fee structure than ACH.  And remember IDD comes with no acct restrictions or Thai bank you can use...can have the funds sent to a regular, unrestricted Thai baht acct like most people have in Thailand.

 

So, you also need to decided on whether your want to get payment via ACH or IDD.

 

 

 

 

 

Could you please explain the process, for example if applying on line for retirement are we transferred to the Manilla site or  still in the US, or does the Manilla site has a direct link to apply. You said that we can have the transfer form completed / signed by the Thai bank and than send it to Manilla, can we send it without any contact there, to whom attention should we send it, just afraid the form will get tossed into the bin if no sent to some specific named person or am I incorrect. Off line SSA site allows to apply for retirement but when logged in into My SS I couldn't find the link to apply, appreciate the assistance

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Could you please explain the process, for example if applying on line for retirement are we transferred to the Manilla site or  still in the US, or does the Manilla site has a direct link to apply. You said that we can have the transfer form completed / signed by the Thai bank and than send it to Manilla, can we send it without any contact there, to whom attention should we send it, just afraid the form will get tossed into the bin if no sent to some specific named person or am I incorrect. Off line SSA site allows to apply for retirement but when logged in into My SS I couldn't find the link to apply, appreciate the assistance

 

You an apply directly online at the main SSA website OR directly apply with the Manila SSA office which is basically the local SSA office for approx 40 countries in this part of the world.  Totally up to you.

 

When apply online with a foreign/Thailand address, SSA "might" refer some of the processing to Manila if your application for some reason requires additional info....additional documentation....just some reason the local SSA office needs to contact you.   You apply online at below website.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/forms/

 

Or, you can apply directly with the Manila Office.  You would contact them by phone or email to start the process. What they will do is schedule a telephone interview (they call you) and during that interview they are basically filing out an online application for you and also telling you at that time what additional docs may be needed for your particular application/situation.  See below webpage for Manila office contact info.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

 

Regardless of the application method used you will be asked for bank acct info for direct deposit. As far as I know if applying online you can only enter US bank info....you can not enter foreign bank info.  You can only enter a routing number and acct number used for the ACH funds transfer system which is used for US banks.  This can even be Bangkok Bank using their NY branch routing number and your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank number.   If applying online you will not need to provide any form...you just enter the routing and acct number of your US bank.  If wanting the direct deposit info to go to Bangkok Bank you will need to use your Thailand address to ensure SSA sends the funds in ACH "IAT" format; otherwise, come Jan 2020 the direct deposits might get rejected by Bangkok Bank.  

 

But If wanting to have the funds deposited using the International Direct Deposit (IDD) transfer system that uses the SWIFT system you'll need to provide an IDD signup form.  If dealing with Manila you could say such during the telephone interview and they will probably then ask that your fax/email/mail a completed IDD form to them within approx two weeks so they can update their system/your application with this IDD direct deposit info.  If wanting to use IDD where you funds can be sent to "any" Thai bank....not just Bangkok Bank....once again you must have your Thailand address onfile with SSA.  

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Pib said:

 

You an apply directly online at the main SSA website OR directly apply with the Manila SSA office which is basically the local SSA office for approx 40 countries in this part of the world.  Totally up to you.

 

When apply online with a foreign/Thailand address, SSA "might" refer some of the processing to Manila if your application for some reason requires additional info....additional documentation....just some reason the local SSA office needs to contact you.   You apply online at below website.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/forms/

 

Or, you can apply directly with the Manila Office.  You would contact them by phone or email to start the process. What they will do is schedule a telephone interview (they call you) and during that interview they are basically filing out an online application for you and also telling you at that time what additional docs may be needed for your particular application/situation.  See below webpage for Manila office contact info.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

 

Regardless of the application method used you will be asked for bank acct info for direct deposit. As far as I know if applying online you can only enter US bank info....you can not enter foreign bank info.  You can only enter a routing number and acct number used for the ACH funds transfer system which is used for US banks.  This can even be Bangkok Bank using their NY branch routing number and your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank number.   If applying online you will not need to provide any form...you just enter the routing and acct number of your US bank.  If wanting the direct deposit info to go to Bangkok Bank you will need to use your Thailand address to ensure SSA sends the funds in ACH "IAT" format; otherwise, come Jan 2020 the direct deposits might get rejected by Bangkok Bank.  

 

But If wanting to have the funds deposited using the International Direct Deposit (IDD) transfer system that uses the SWIFT system you'll need to provide an IDD signup form.  If dealing with Manila you could say such during the telephone interview and they will probably then ask that your fax/email/mail a completed IDD form to them within approx two weeks so they can update their system/your application with this IDD direct deposit info.  If wanting to use IDD where you funds can be sent to "any" Thai bank....not just Bangkok Bank....once again you must have your Thailand address onfile with SSA.  

 

 

 

 

 

thanks for the great information, since I don't have a US bank account nor do I have an address there as well, it appears my best option is to apply with Manilla, do you know if applying with Manilla it's only by phone, not by email. My SS account doesn't have any address, I wanted to update my address but when reading their FAQ it says that an address is not required and one is not obligated to change his/hers address. I couldn't find any details about the required documents to apply for the retirement, besides my SS# and ID what else they will be asking. is there a list somewhere, thanks again

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...