US social security how to begin?

WeekendRaider

You have to open the direct deposit account at Bangkok Bank first. The will handle submitting the SF1199 form to Manila to get it the direct deposits started. Here is the SF1199 form you can complete in advance. https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/SF1199A-12a.pdf?forceDownload=1

Info for opening the account is here. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

One very important thing is that you are using your address here for the SSA. If not your transfers may not be done in the ACH required  IAT format.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to open the direct deposit account at Bangkok Bank first. The will handle submitting the SF1199 form to Manila to get it the direct deposits started. Here is the SF1199 form you can complete in advance. https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/SF1199A-12a.pdf?forceDownload=1

Info for opening the account is here. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

One very important thing is that you are using your address here for the SSA. If not your transfers may not be done in the ACH required  IAT format.

wow!  it wasn't a stupid question at all!  for me that's a big surpise.  and it was ubonjoe that answered!!!! 

thank you very much. 

Please note you have two options now to have your SSA benefit paid to Thailand.  One is via ACH (Automated Clearing House) and the other International Direct Deposit (IDD).

If you choose the ACH transfer option which uses the form ubonjoe provided in the link you may have the benefit payment sent to "only Bangkok Bank" as Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank capable of receiving payments via ACH.  And you will be required to have a Bangkok Bank special direct deposit acct which comes with various restrictions like you can only withdraw/transfer funds by psychically visiting a branch, no debit card for the acct, etc.  And as ubonjoe mentioned if having the payment sent to Bangkok Bank you will need to have your Thailand address on-file with SSA otherwise come Jan 2020 you may experience payment problems due to pending policy changes regarding required use of ACH IAT. 

However if you choose to have your SSA paid via IDD which uses the SWIFT system you can have your payment sent to any Thai bank to include a regular Bangkok Bank acct which has no restrictions.  But it must be a Thai baht acct; not a USD acct.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

Now without getting into the weeds too much if you are using the monthly income option with Thai immigration to renew an annual extension of stay where the transfers need to be coded at "international transfers" then using ACH to Bangkok Bank will always result in International Transfer coding.  However, if using IDD the final leg of the transfer is a local transfer which results in a Bahnet Transfer coding and this may require you go get Credit Advices from your Thai bank to prove the transfer was really international. 

Also, if your SSA payment is approx $800 or higher using ACH will result in a little more baht hitting your acct due to a slightly better exchange rate than used by IDD.  But if your acct is around $800 or less you will get a little more baht due to a lower transfer fee structure than ACH.  And remember IDD comes with no acct restrictions or Thai bank you can use...can have the funds sent to a regular, unrestricted Thai baht acct like most people have in Thailand.

So, you also need to decided on whether your want to get payment via ACH or IDD.

You can have a direct deposit of SS payments made to a regular savings account.

I had Bangkok Bank fill out the form mentioned above with their Swift code.

I then mailed the form to Manila.

About 45 days later my first payment arrived.  On the third of the month, as usual.

No fees, and accessible with an ATM card.

Terry

12 hours ago, TerryLH said:

You can have a direct deposit of SS payments made to a regular savings account.

I had Bangkok Bank fill out the form mentioned above with their Swift code.

I then mailed the form to Manila.

About 45 days later my first payment arrived.  On the third of the month, as usual.

No fees, and accessible with an ATM card.

Terry

There is one fee....a Bt100 BahtNet receiving fee.  But all other fees are paid by the US govt.  Unless you have your acct setup to send you the free international remittance text you will not see the fee as it's not shown anywhere else.  The fee is applied "before" posting to your acct just like how the ACH receiving fee (0.25% Bt200 min, Bt500 max) is applied....you will only see if setup to receive the remittance text.

2 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Why does the Phillipines come into it...no explaination of it in the OP ?

The FBU office for Thailand and many other nations in the region is in Manila. FBU means Foreign Benefits Unit. There is no office in Thailand for that and the embassy has no involvement. 

11 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

What is the benefit of having SSA send your payment directly to Thailand as outlined above vs having it sent to your bank in the US and then having it transferred by your bank in the US to your bank in Thailand? Is it an exchange rate thing?

Various reasons I expect such maybe no longer having a bank in the US, not wanting to incur monthly transfer fees, not being ibanking/money transfer service oriented, simple convenience, etc.

12 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

What is the benefit of having SSA send your payment directly to Thailand as outlined above vs having it sent to your bank in the US and then having it transferred by your bank in the US to your bank in Thailand? Is it an exchange rate thing?

I guess if your address is an US address, you can not direct deposit to your Thailand account. Then you need to do it the way you mentioned and if you don’t need to transfer every month (using 800,000) then you can transfer whenever you need money and keep the fund in US banks.

On 10/12/2019 at 8:32 PM, Pib said:

Please note you have two options now to have your SSA benefit paid to Thailand.  One is via ACH (Automated Clearing House) and the other International Direct Deposit (IDD).

If you choose the ACH transfer option which uses the form ubonjoe provided in the link you may have the benefit payment sent to "only Bangkok Bank" as Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank capable of receiving payments via ACH.  And you will be required to have a Bangkok Bank special direct deposit acct which comes with various restrictions like you can only withdraw/transfer funds by psychically visiting a branch, no debit card for the acct, etc.  And as ubonjoe mentioned if having the payment sent to Bangkok Bank you will need to have your Thailand address on-file with SSA otherwise come Jan 2020 you may experience payment problems due to pending policy changes regarding required use of ACH IAT. 

However if you choose to have your SSA paid via IDD which uses the SWIFT system you can have your payment sent to any Thai bank to include a regular Bangkok Bank acct which has no restrictions.  But it must be a Thai baht acct; not a USD acct.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

Now without getting into the weeds too much if you are using the monthly income option with Thai immigration to renew an annual extension of stay where the transfers need to be coded at "international transfers" then using ACH to Bangkok Bank will always result in International Transfer coding.  However, if using IDD the final leg of the transfer is a local transfer which results in a Bahnet Transfer coding and this may require you go get Credit Advices from your Thai bank to prove the transfer was really international. 

Also, if your SSA payment is approx $800 or higher using ACH will result in a little more baht hitting your acct due to a slightly better exchange rate than used by IDD.  But if your acct is around $800 or less you will get a little more baht due to a lower transfer fee structure than ACH.  And remember IDD comes with no acct restrictions or Thai bank you can use...can have the funds sent to a regular, unrestricted Thai baht acct like most people have in Thailand.

So, you also need to decided on whether your want to get payment via ACH or IDD.

Could you please explain the process, for example if applying on line for retirement are we transferred to the Manilla site or  still in the US, or does the Manilla site has a direct link to apply. You said that we can have the transfer form completed / signed by the Thai bank and than send it to Manilla, can we send it without any contact there, to whom attention should we send it, just afraid the form will get tossed into the bin if no sent to some specific named person or am I incorrect. Off line SSA site allows to apply for retirement but when logged in into My SS I couldn't find the link to apply, appreciate the assistance

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Could you please explain the process, for example if applying on line for retirement are we transferred to the Manilla site or  still in the US, or does the Manilla site has a direct link to apply. You said that we can have the transfer form completed / signed by the Thai bank and than send it to Manilla, can we send it without any contact there, to whom attention should we send it, just afraid the form will get tossed into the bin if no sent to some specific named person or am I incorrect. Off line SSA site allows to apply for retirement but when logged in into My SS I couldn't find the link to apply, appreciate the assistance

You an apply directly online at the main SSA website OR directly apply with the Manila SSA office which is basically the local SSA office for approx 40 countries in this part of the world.  Totally up to you.

When apply online with a foreign/Thailand address, SSA "might" refer some of the processing to Manila if your application for some reason requires additional info....additional documentation....just some reason the local SSA office needs to contact you.   You apply online at below website.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/forms/

Or, you can apply directly with the Manila Office.  You would contact them by phone or email to start the process. What they will do is schedule a telephone interview (they call you) and during that interview they are basically filing out an online application for you and also telling you at that time what additional docs may be needed for your particular application/situation.  See below webpage for Manila office contact info.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

Regardless of the application method used you will be asked for bank acct info for direct deposit. As far as I know if applying online you can only enter US bank info....you can not enter foreign bank info.  You can only enter a routing number and acct number used for the ACH funds transfer system which is used for US banks.  This can even be Bangkok Bank using their NY branch routing number and your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank number.   If applying online you will not need to provide any form...you just enter the routing and acct number of your US bank.  If wanting the direct deposit info to go to Bangkok Bank you will need to use your Thailand address to ensure SSA sends the funds in ACH "IAT" format; otherwise, come Jan 2020 the direct deposits might get rejected by Bangkok Bank.  

But If wanting to have the funds deposited using the International Direct Deposit (IDD) transfer system that uses the SWIFT system you'll need to provide an IDD signup form.  If dealing with Manila you could say such during the telephone interview and they will probably then ask that your fax/email/mail a completed IDD form to them within approx two weeks so they can update their system/your application with this IDD direct deposit info.  If wanting to use IDD where you funds can be sent to "any" Thai bank....not just Bangkok Bank....once again you must have your Thailand address onfile with SSA.  

3 hours ago, Pib said:

You an apply directly online at the main SSA website OR directly apply with the Manila SSA office which is basically the local SSA office for approx 40 countries in this part of the world.  Totally up to you.

When apply online with a foreign/Thailand address, SSA "might" refer some of the processing to Manila if your application for some reason requires additional info....additional documentation....just some reason the local SSA office needs to contact you.   You apply online at below website.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/forms/

Or, you can apply directly with the Manila Office.  You would contact them by phone or email to start the process. What they will do is schedule a telephone interview (they call you) and during that interview they are basically filing out an online application for you and also telling you at that time what additional docs may be needed for your particular application/situation.  See below webpage for Manila office contact info.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

Regardless of the application method used you will be asked for bank acct info for direct deposit. As far as I know if applying online you can only enter US bank info....you can not enter foreign bank info.  You can only enter a routing number and acct number used for the ACH funds transfer system which is used for US banks.  This can even be Bangkok Bank using their NY branch routing number and your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank number.   If applying online you will not need to provide any form...you just enter the routing and acct number of your US bank.  If wanting the direct deposit info to go to Bangkok Bank you will need to use your Thailand address to ensure SSA sends the funds in ACH "IAT" format; otherwise, come Jan 2020 the direct deposits might get rejected by Bangkok Bank.  

But If wanting to have the funds deposited using the International Direct Deposit (IDD) transfer system that uses the SWIFT system you'll need to provide an IDD signup form.  If dealing with Manila you could say such during the telephone interview and they will probably then ask that your fax/email/mail a completed IDD form to them within approx two weeks so they can update their system/your application with this IDD direct deposit info.  If wanting to use IDD where you funds can be sent to "any" Thai bank....not just Bangkok Bank....once again you must have your Thailand address onfile with SSA.  

thanks for the great information, since I don't have a US bank account nor do I have an address there as well, it appears my best option is to apply with Manilla, do you know if applying with Manilla it's only by phone, not by email. My SS account doesn't have any address, I wanted to update my address but when reading their FAQ it says that an address is not required and one is not obligated to change his/hers address. I couldn't find any details about the required documents to apply for the retirement, besides my SS# and ID what else they will be asking. is there a list somewhere, thanks again

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

thanks for the great information, since I don't have a US bank account nor do I have an address there as well, it appears my best option is to apply with Manilla, do you know if applying with Manilla it's only by phone, not by email. My SS account doesn't have any address, I wanted to update my address but when reading their FAQ it says that an address is not required and one is not obligated to change his/hers address. I couldn't find any details about the required documents to apply for the retirement, besides my SS# and ID what else they will be asking. is there a list somewhere, thanks again

I would just email Manila saying your want to start the application process/schedule a telephone interview.  In the email include your full name, SSAN, address, phone number, date of birth, email address, and when you want your benefit to begin.  You can apply up to 4 early before your requested "benefits begin date."   For example: say you want your benefit begin date to be 1 Jan 2020 which means your first payment would arrive 3 Feb 2020...well, you can apply up to 4 months before that 1 Jan 2020 date which would be 1 Sep 2019.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying3.html

It will probably take Manial a couple of weeks to get back to you....responses from Manila can be slow.  Or you could give them call during the two days/limited hours they accept calls per their website.  I would go the email method.  Up to you. 

Good luck....welcome to ol' geezer club. ????    

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You can apply online and in the course of processing you'll get a call from Manila, at least I did.

If the main application form doesn't allow for IDD to a foreign bankthete is a separate IDD form that does.

Manila can be slow so if it were me I'd start the pricess first online.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

thanks, last year, May 18, send them an email asking for information.... am still waiting for an answer

16 hours ago, Pib said:

I would just email Manila saying your want to start the application process/schedule a telephone interview.  In the email include your full name, SSAN, address, phone number, date of birth, email address, and when you want your benefit to begin.  You can apply up to 4 early before your requested "benefits begin date."   For example: say you want your benefit begin date to be 1 Jan 2020 which means your first payment would arrive 3 Feb 2020...well, you can apply up to 4 months before that 1 Jan 2020 date which would be 1 Sep 2019.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying3.html

It will probably take Manial a couple of weeks to get back to you....responses from Manila can be slow.  Or you could give them call during the two days/limited hours they accept calls per their website.  I would go the email method.  Up to you. 

Good luck....welcome to ol' geezer club. ????    

thanks a million, I did follow your advise and send an e-mail, it says that I should have an answer within 10 days.... last year, May 18, did contacted them and also received the same 10 days period to receive an answer.....am still waiting, going to try the on line application and see how it works out with the banking issue, @Sheryl said there is a different form for the bank

You can apply online and in the course of processing you'll get a call from Manila, at least I did.

If the main application form doesn't allow for IDD to a foreign bankthete is a separate IDD form that does.

sorry forgot to ask, where do I get the different form, my bank is in Thailand

sorry forgot to ask, where do I get the different form, my bank is in Thailand

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You can email it to Manila

They seem to respond better when given forms etc than to text inquiries

ok, thks will send it there but to whom, sure they must receive 1,000's of forms, wonder how they will know what is what and to whom assign it....but worth a try

58 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

ok, thks will send it there but to whom, sure they must receive 1,000's of forms, wonder how they will know what is what and to whom assign it....but worth a try

Review the Manila SSA Office weblink I gave in post #14.  It has their mailing and email addresses. 

You don't need to know who you are assigned to as that changes approx every year as Manila rotates SSAN assignments among their staff approx very year.

The direct deposit form has your SSAN and name on it....that's the only two things needed to ensure it gets to the right person within the Manila office.    You can also scan and email form to Manila.   Or if dealing with Bangkok Bank they will mail/email it for you.   Earlier in the year the wife change from the regular ACH direct deposit to the IDD direct deposit.....we just scanned and emailed the form to Manila.

If you decide to apply using the Manila telephone interview process then Manila will also ask for your email address and use that to do some correspondence with you "if that's what you want."

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Review the Manila SSA Office weblink I gave in post #14.  It has their mailing and email addresses. 

You don't need to know who you are assigned to as that changes approx every year as Manila rotates SSAN assignments among their staff approx very year.

The direct deposit form has your SSAN and name on it....that's the only two things needed to ensure it gets to the right person within the Manila office.    You can also scan and email form to Manila.   Or if dealing with Bangkok Bank they will mail/email it for you.   Earlier in the year the wife change from the regular ACH direct deposit to the IDD direct deposit.....we just scanned and emailed the form to Manila.

If you decide to apply using the Manila telephone interview process then Manila will also ask for your email address and use that to do some correspondence with you "if that's what you want."

You guys are great, really appreciate, I do use BBank and will ask them to fill up the form ( you send me a link before and I downloaded it already) 2 days ago also send email to Manilla, let's see how it goes

So, which direct deposit method are you going with?   The ACH method that uses the SF-1199A form or the IDD method that uses the SSA-1199-OP-107 form.

Keep in mind if using the SF-1199A which means the funds will be transmitted via the ACH system that only Bangkok Bank can be used and you must have a special direct deposit acct with them which has restrictions such as no debit card, no online transfers/withdrawals, and you must physically visit any Bangkok Bank branch to withdraw/transfer funds.

But if using the SSA-1199-OP107 form the funds are transmitted via the SWIFT system which means you can have the funds direct deposited to "any" Thai bank and to a Thai baht regular savings acct with no restrictions....have debit card....can do online transfers....no restrictions like the Bangkok Bank direct deposit account has.

But if you are using the "monthly income" method with immigration for an annual extension of stay please note your SSA direct deposit sent via IDD SWIFT will be passbook coded as "Bahtnet" which means the last leg of the transfer was a domestic transfer/relay although it's still really from overseas which you can get a Credit Advice if needed to prove so.    However if using the ACH method for direct deposit it will reflect be passbook coded as an "International Transfer."

Now if by chance you already have a Bangkok Bank special direct deposit acct used for another US govt pension even if you use the IDD SWIFT method once the funds enter that restricted acct you have the associated restrictions.   If your current Bangkok Bank acct is a regular savings acct then any funds that flow into it have no restrictions.

31 minutes ago, Pib said:

So, which direct deposit method are you going with?   The ACH method that uses the SF-1199A form or the IDD method that uses the SSA-1199-OP-107 form.

Keep in mind if using the SF-1199A which means the funds will be transmitted via the ACH system that only Bangkok Bank can be used and you must have a special direct deposit acct with them which has restrictions such as no debit card, no online transfers/withdrawals, and you must physically visit any Bangkok Bank branch to withdraw/transfer funds.

But if using the SSA-1199-OP107 form the funds are transmitted via the SWIFT system which means you can have the funds direct deposited to "any" Thai bank and to a Thai baht regular savings acct with no restrictions....have debit card....can do online transfers....no restrictions like the Bangkok Bank direct deposit account has.

But if you are using the "monthly income" method with immigration for an annual extension of stay please note your SSA direct deposit sent via IDD SWIFT will be passbook coded as "Bahtnet" which means the last leg of the transfer was a domestic transfer/relay although it's still really from overseas which you can get a Credit Advice if needed to prove so.    However if using the ACH method for direct deposit it will reflect be passbook coded as an "International Transfer."

Now if by chance you already have a Bangkok Bank special direct deposit acct used for another US govt pension even if you use the IDD SWIFT method once the funds enter that restricted acct you have the associated restrictions.   If your current Bangkok Bank acct is a regular savings acct then any funds that flow into it have no restrictions.

I am going for the Form SSA-1199-OP107 (02-2019) Discontinue Prior Editions Social Security Administration  IDD/SWIFT savings account deposit, easy way it appears and no need the proof of income. have been using the fixed deposit option, let's see until when

On 10/14/2019 at 1:20 PM, dotpoom said:

Why does the Phillipines come into it...no explaination of it in the OP ?

Because of past ties between countries, former military bases, large number of Filipino worked in US and military and returned to RP. Decades past due to Vietnam and Pac Rim presence many military dead enders retired in RP.

Archived