US social security how to begin?

WeekendRaider

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 9:21 PM, TerryLH said:

You can have a direct deposit of SS payments made to a regular savings account.

I had Bangkok Bank fill out the form mentioned above with their Swift code.

I then mailed the form to Manila.

About 45 days later my first payment arrived.  On the third of the month, as usual.

No fees, and accessible with an ATM card.

Terry

you indicated above that you had BkB fill the form for you, how did you managed that, I spend all afternoon at the branch without any success, the branch manager categorically refused to sign any forms that are not generated from BKB, the only thing I could get from them was a declaration on their letter head indicating that I have account at their branch, I did apply for SWIFT transfers, if you do have a form, be so kind to PM me and show me please, I want to go back to the branch and show them, please hide all/any pertaining personal/confidential info

On 10/19/2019 at 2:18 PM, Pib said:

You an apply directly online at the main SSA website OR directly apply with the Manila SSA office which is basically the local SSA office for approx 40 countries in this part of the world.  Totally up to you.

When apply online with a foreign/Thailand address, SSA "might" refer some of the processing to Manila if your application for some reason requires additional info....additional documentation....just some reason the local SSA office needs to contact you.   You apply online at below website.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/forms/

Or, you can apply directly with the Manila Office.  You would contact them by phone or email to start the process. What they will do is schedule a telephone interview (they call you) and during that interview they are basically filing out an online application for you and also telling you at that time what additional docs may be needed for your particular application/situation.  See below webpage for Manila office contact info.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

Regardless of the application method used you will be asked for bank acct info for direct deposit. As far as I know if applying online you can only enter US bank info....you can not enter foreign bank info.  You can only enter a routing number and acct number used for the ACH funds transfer system which is used for US banks.  This can even be Bangkok Bank using their NY branch routing number and your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank number.   If applying online you will not need to provide any form...you just enter the routing and acct number of your US bank.  If wanting the direct deposit info to go to Bangkok Bank you will need to use your Thailand address to ensure SSA sends the funds in ACH "IAT" format; otherwise, come Jan 2020 the direct deposits might get rejected by Bangkok Bank.  

But If wanting to have the funds deposited using the International Direct Deposit (IDD) transfer system that uses the SWIFT system you'll need to provide an IDD signup form.  If dealing with Manila you could say such during the telephone interview and they will probably then ask that your fax/email/mail a completed IDD form to them within approx two weeks so they can update their system/your application with this IDD direct deposit info.  If wanting to use IDD where you funds can be sent to "any" Thai bank....not just Bangkok Bank....once again you must have your Thailand address onfile with SSA.  

just an update to the ones applying on line using a Thailand address, I just completed (2 weeks ago) my application on line and when asking for my residence address it provides different countries options, including Thailand, I filled it in and all went smooth, the only option not available was the bank account for Thailand banks, one can select ACH or IDD options, if select IDD it will ask for which country and again many countries choices available but NOT Thailand, select other and at the end of the application there will be a box called REMARKS just add the Thai bank acct information and it will be forwarded to the Manila office, this was advised to me by the Manila office when I called asking for the information, thus no need for US address

On 10/20/2019 at 9:40 AM, Sheryl said:

You can apply online and in the course of processing you'll get a call from Manila, at least I did.

If the main application form doesn't allow for IDD to a foreign bankthete is a separate IDD form that does.

Manila can be slow so if it were me I'd start the pricess first online.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

may I ask what type of questions the Manila office ask, I am expecting a call at any time and it would nice to know, more or less what to expect, thanks

Nothing at very memorable. Confirmed address. I think they asked if I anticipated any income that year. They asked something, maybe if I agreed with what had been calculated as my benefit, I told them I would have to review the earnings statements against my tax records which I did not have at that moment.

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Nothing at very memorable. Confirmed address. I think they asked if I anticipated any income that year. They asked something, maybe if I agreed with what had been calculated as my benefit, I told them I would have to review the earnings statements against my tax records which I did not have at that moment.

I thought the questions would be in that sense/line, thanks do appreciate.

I am living in phuket thailand and applying through  manilla for ss benefits.

Razell requested certified copies or original documents be sent and I

am considering just flying to manilla and walk into SS at manilla and show originals

then hopefully she returns originals to me in a day or too then I fly back with all my very important 

documents including passports birth certificates marriage certificates etc. 

I am wary of sending originals and looks like a pain to go to both US and Fillipino embassy far away in Bangkok.

Any body do a walk in to ss in manilla? quick and easy or difficult??! can get back originals quickly or takes days/weeks? We need our passports and certificates for other processes in Thailand not stuck on a desk or in transit??

Archived