Shopping At Rimpings

EL159

Shopping at this well known chain has beome really annoying these past few days. Three times I have been held up at the till with Thai people in front of me exchanging bar codes from their phone with the till assistant, then also requiring a supervisor to come over and authorise something, then something also gets written down on a list. On each occasion I have been held up for over five minutes at the till while this carry on goes on.

Apparently its all to do with a government give away of 1000 baht of shopping vouchers to a few million people throughout Thailand for which you had to race to register online at midnight on a few nights to be one of the lucky winners.

Every Rimping I ve been in these past few days has had longer than usual queues, not helped by these very irritating five minute transactions. Now I wouldnt have minded if they had set up a "cash only" type of till for those of us who dont want to be inconveniened by this situation, extremely irksome, but just hoping that the spending of these online vouchers will be done soon.

4 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Shocking.

Put your shopping on the ground and walk out. 

I did on one occasion when there were not one, not two, but three of these transactions in front of me. Two I tolerated patiently, but when the third started I gave up in frustration!

9 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Put your shopping on the ground and walk out. 

Just now, EL159 said:

I did on one occasion

Good man.

It's the mature thing to do.

Hopefully your children were there and thus learned how to properly act in public, even if they did go home hungry with no shopping. 

Some Thai friends of mine were complaining about exactly the same thing this morning. It seems Rimping has joined the govt scheme ! Not smart they should have them go through certain tills !! Rimping has a pretty loyal customer base, they would be stupid to <deleted> them off just for the govt freebie promotion.

34 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Some Thai friends of mine were complaining about exactly the same thing this morning. It seems Rimping has joined the govt scheme ! Not smart they should have them go through certain tills !! Rimping has a pretty loyal customer base, they would be stupid to <deleted> them off just for the govt freebie promotion.

My point exactly, Sally! The most regular customers are the ones being inconvenienced by a bunch of people many of whom probably dont shop regularly at Rimping. If you ve experienced the delays ( ignore the usual keyboard know it alls) it really is very irritating. Special paypoints for these people is the obvious answer but they havent thought about that.

Oh...My... God!  You actually had to wait five minutes on a line!

How on Earth did you manage to survive this atrocity? Were you able to get after-care?

My hat's off to you, Sir!  I can't imagine enduring such hardship myself.

Un-freakin-believable!

An inflammatory post has been removed, please remember this forum rule:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

I just about fall off my chair - hearing these stories for many years - how inconvenienced I was, why won't the [insert expletive here] Thai people learn !

And most from retired people, who do not work and have all the time in the world.

They must have never gone to the Post Office, or MOT, or any gov't service in their home countries ever before, to be shocked by such as this - 'ME - WAIT !!!'

But then - I am a girl watcher - and this takes considerable time

3 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Oh...My... God!  You actually had to wait five minutes on a line!

How on Earth did you manage to survive this atrocity? Were you able to get after-care?

My hat's off to you, Sir!  I can't imagine enduring such hardship myself.

Un-freakin-believable!

And it goes without saying this would totally never happen in a farang country!

Cant be worse than the 'old lady ahead of you writing a check' days at supermarkets in the US- somehow we survived it, though (usually by reading the headlines of 'The Star' and 'The National Enquirer', which were always kept at the counter- you had to wait an extra couple minutes, but at least you knew what Madonna was up to).????

4 minutes ago, essox essox said:

well I would have never guessed to use GOOGLE...as I am on this site and post I expected A REPLY....NOT a SMARTARSE reply....

My apologies, I temporarily forgot how many demented folks are on this forum.  Thanks for the reminder.

19 hours ago, EL159 said:

On each occasion I have been held up for over five minutes at the till while this carry on goes on.

For the love of God!

No.................

Say it aint so.........

You obviously survived...... to queue another day....

OP can't be British, the land of the long queues.

I once had to q for over half an hour in a post office because one of the tellers was helping some girls repack a parcel, instead of telling them to go do it properly and rejoin the q after, so he could deal with the 50 other people in the q.

Even without the disorganised girl thing, queues are way long in the UK.

6 hours ago, flare said:

Cant be worse than the 'old lady ahead of you writing a check' days at supermarkets in the US- somehow we survived it, though (usually by reading the headlines of 'The Star' and 'The National Enquirer', which were always kept at the counter- you had to wait an extra couple minutes, but at least you knew what Madonna was up to).????

That would have been my mother.  And she would have asked "can I write the check for $20 over" as a way to secure extra cash, sometimes causing a manager to be called over to approve this request.  This is how she embezzled money from household spending for years and managed to build up a nice bank account for herself that she never mentioned to my father until he lost his job in his 50s and their situation looked quite bleak.  He was the sort that never saved money, so it was good that someone in the family was.

5 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Rimping Iron bridge has a cash only register.

Instead of being annoyed open your eyes and look around you.

I dont use Rimping Iron Bridge as you call it. Open YOUR eyes before you start throwing insults!

6 hours ago, essox essox said:

never heard of RIMPINGS where are they and what kinda store are they???

May I ask? How is it possible to live in Chiang Mai for three years and never have heard of Rimping.

Even if you don't live IN Chiang Mai, you've been a member of ThaiVisa for three years. In that time there have been hundreds of threads about all different subjects that have mentioned various Rimpings... located  on all four sides of the city!

Do you have some sort of Rimping Filter set to block it out?

There are ONLY TWO major chains of supermarkets in Chiang Mai. Rimping is one of them with four different stores around town.

Archived