Jump to content
BANGKOK
nailbrains8

Refused Entry in BKK - Second METV - Deported back to London

Recommended Posts

Can someone lay out exactly what your options are if you get refused?

Edited by TaaSaparot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GeraldB22 said:

 

I would agree with answering "No".

 

Having myself been in the "interrogation" area twice now when entering through BKK, it does seem that the questions are all around trying to demonstrate that you are not just a visiting tourist, and getting you to say something which indicates that, such as a girlfriend, ability to speak thai, or any form of long term connection. They do not listen to anything you say unless it helps them prove this, so I would suggest saying as little as possible, as they seem to have made up their mind before you sit. Just keep it simple and keep explaining your on holiday and show youre flight ticket home.

 

On the second time I think I only got through because I kept on repeating "No", that I was on holiday only,  and also that they were much more interested in the gentlemen seated next to me who was also being questioned who was telling them he speaks Thai and that as he has 20,000 baht they must let him in.

 

Even then it did seem 50/50. Just before I was let through , I heard one officer say to his colleague that he would let me in, to which his colleague looked at the printout of my entries and said to him "You can't!", to which he shrugged as if he couldn't really be bothered to reject me or something. So I think you can help yourself by "being a tourist", but a lot must also come down to the luck of which IO you get

 

 

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. May I ask how many entries you had in recent times? I'm glad it worked out for you in the end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. May I ask how many entries you had in recent times? I'm glad it worked out for you in the end. 

 

I had around 4 Tourist Visas back to back. My first questioning was on returning with the 4th TV, flying into BKK. I am 100% sure I was going to be refused entry on this one, however by some miracle all of us in the interrogation seating area where all taken and stamped through due to some kind of situation in the airport. 

 

 I then left Thailand for 3 months. Returned with my current TV and got my second questioning. This one was 50/50 I think, the flight ticket home seemed to help and the IO seemed like he could not be bothered to reject to me. 

 

Also, if it helps, the thing some people mention about changing passports, it is a myth: It maybe helps when getting visas, but it definitely is useless when going through immigration. I had a new passport yet on the print out they brought to the desk it had my entries going back into my previous passport

Edited by GeraldB22
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 6:06 AM, ubonjoe said:

That is really strange. I suspect he may of had a previous history he failed to mention.

Was he asked to show at least the equivalent of 20k baht in cash and did he have it?

What was the reason for the denial of entry? It will shown on the document given him and stamp as a number that indicates the reason under section 12 of the immigration act.

i have never been asked to show 20k baht in cash before .  nobody carrys that on their person.  if i were ever asked how could i prove it . should i bring a copy of my foreign bank acct balance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

i have never been asked to show 20k baht in cash before .  nobody carrys that on their person.  if i were ever asked how could i prove it . should i bring a copy of my foreign bank acct balance?

If and when they ask, you need to show cash or travelers checks. It's a silly rule but an official one, not one they've made up.

 

I wouldn't say nobody carries that amount, ultimately some people prefer to carry cash while others prefer cards. I would have (a bit) more than that with me, in cash, even if they didn't have that retarded rule. It doesn't need to be in Thai baht, if that's your concern. Personally, I think $1000 in crisp $100 notes is a good emergency stash for traveling around in the region. Add some smaller notes in local currency for taxi and snacks at the airport, not too much to carry around and you come well prepared.

Edited by Caldera
Clarity
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Can someone lay out exactly what your options are if you get refused?

I've got the number of a legal firm to hand who I could call, whether that would help or not I don't know. I hope never to find out. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, yogavnture said:

i have never been asked to show 20k baht in cash before .  nobody carrys that on their person.  if i were ever asked how could i prove it . should i bring a copy of my foreign bank acct balance?

 

Whenever I go through any immigration into Thailand I always make sure I have at least 20,000 baht cash. They do not accept print outs of bank statements, or even let you go to an ATM. You either have 20,000 baht in cash or in equivalent foreign currency on you, or you run the increased risk of being refused entry for insufficient means to support yourself.

 

Edited by GeraldB22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Caldera said:

If and when they ask, you need to show cash or travelers checks. It's a silly rule but an official one, not one they've made up.

 

I wouldn't say nobody carries that amount, ultimately some people prefer to carry cash while others prefer cards. I would have (a bit) more than that with me, in cash, even if they didn't have that retarded rule. It doesn't need to be in Thai baht, if that's your concern. Personally, I think $1000 in crisp $100 notes is a good emergency stash for traveling around in the region. Add some smaller notes in local currency for taxi and snacks at the airport, not too much to carry around and you come well prepared.

ive been coming for 20 years and never had an issue.  i suspect they are only asking people that they deem poor or gaming the system. maybe on the back of entry form where it says what your income is one should say 100000 dollars not 20000 dollars..........seems silly to carry large sums of money just for immigration if that is the case , then more robberys would occure out in the taxi upon going home from airport as every person would know foreigner has loads of cash onhand out of the airport.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, GeraldB22 said:

 

Whenever I go through any immigration into Thailand I always make sure I have at least 20,000 baht cash. They do not accept print outs of bank statements, or even let you go to an ATM. You either have 20,000 baht in cash or in equivalent foreign currency on you, or you run the increased risk of being refused entry for insufficient means to support yourself.

 

ok so airlines must ask people if they have that cash onhand before they get on plane because if immigration refuses entry because one cant get access to their money,,,,,,,then that airline needs to fly the person back to home country.  i simply dont believe that immigration is asking this from many folks as we all know this whole process is computerized now and all of us probably have a rating on the computer based on past history.  so most of us that have a great rating on the computer are fine.  ive never seen anybody asked for the money upon arrival. have you?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only carry credit cards and bank statements, never been asked for cash. I do not see any point in carrying a lot of cash in today's digital world. If they ask me I will show them my 4 credit cards that will give me  2 million baht if I need them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Martyp said:

That won't get you through Thai Immigration

Yes it will,  at least 30 times the last 10 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, balo said:

Yes it will,  at least 30 times the last 10 years. 

30 times they asked you to show cash and 30 times you just showed them your credit cards. Lucky traveler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 1:57 AM, GeraldB22 said:

 

Whenever I go through any immigration into Thailand I always make sure I have at least 20,000 baht cash. They do not accept print outs of bank statements, or even let you go to an ATM. You either have 20,000 baht in cash or in equivalent foreign currency on you, or you run the increased risk of being refused entry for insufficient means to support yourself.

 

 

Yes same here, better safe than sorry. And I know I'll spend at least that anyway in cash during the course of my holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, balo said:

Yes it will,  at least 30 times the last 10 years. 

So you've never actually been asked to show and therefore have no clue what would happen if you did I pulled out your plastic  :coffee1:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...