Refused Entry in BKK - Second METV - Deported back to London

16 hours ago, G950 said:

What does he dress and look like? IMHO it does matter when crossing a border.

I disagree. I’m covered in ink which I don’t cover up and I always enter dress casually. 37 entries in 7 years now with never a question asked. 

Mixture of extended METV, extended SETV x 2, a bunch of exempts and now non-ED

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Rescinded in 2008. Though you'll still hear people quoting it (including immigration officers), perpetuating the belief that the rule still exists. 

IOs make up their own rules, end of story.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Who would travel long distance in economy wearing a suit? That would be some discomfort.

In all the years and many times, I don't think I have ever seen anyone in a suit and tie in economy class.

Have known a few that do travel in economy wearing a suit. One guy that stands out was a tunnel miner working on a project in Malaysia. His nickname was 'two meter Peter' and, yes, he was that tall. He would always travel, from UK to Malaysia and back, wearing a suit and tie and this in economy.

He was not someone that you would think about laughing at for dressing that way.............

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

On occasion, I will go to restaurants or events with a dress code. Contrary to the perception of some in this forum, jackets are not exclusively limited to business meetings.

OP was not talking about going to restaurants or business meeting in a suit but  entry to Thailand. I dress  casually but clean non wrinkled wear when entering Thailand. When going to afairs or even some restaurants/clubs they will not let you in with shorts or t-shirt and have to be properly dressed.

13 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Have known a few that do travel in economy wearing a suit. One guy that stands out was a tunnel miner working on a project in Malaysia. His nickname was 'two meter Peter' and, yes, he was that tall. He would always travel, from UK to Malaysia and back, wearing a suit and tie and this in economy.

He was not someone that you would think about laughing at for dressing that way.............

Good post, but I would not laugh at anyone for the way they dress except the old fat ugly guys with no shirt and big titties. ????

4 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I believe there is a rule somewhere (maybe not within law) that states entry is refused if foreigner has been in Thailand more than 180 days, in the current calendar and without a long-term visa.

There was a rule  years ago when some of my friends would come over every 2--3 months that they could not enter again because they had spent 180 days in Thailand. That rule was later revoked but some IO's still quote it as if it still exists, it doesn't.

Edited by Tony125
spelling
  • Like 1

Embassy and consulate staff from every country do not have access to their countries immigration data base, they only issue a visa on the ticked boxes on the application form. It is when that passport is scanned and the information from the data base comes up that the IO can then decide if you can enter the country or not. If the IO declares that you cannot enter the country then the airline that brought you into the country must remove you from the country back to your original boarding place. You do not have a choice of any other destination. There has been nothing stated on here why this person was refused entry, we do not know what was on the immigration data base on this person. We are only hearing this third hand by someone who knows someone, it is not coming from the actual person that this happened to, it is only hearsay with a lot of information missing. This is not only in Thailand but it is in every country in the world so there is no need for the Thai bashing on this case

Edited by Russell17au

5 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

The majority of Embassy's do not yet have access to the immigration database.....until very early next year

I suppose they could look through an applicants passport.... and determine 'you must be joking son'. If the applicant has just got a new passport to effectively evade such scrutiny, be it upon his own head.

One of the problems is that many countries embassies do not process the visa applications anymore, they have contracted it out to an Indian company called VFSGlobal and they collect all the information now including a lot of the bio-metric stuff

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is really strange. I suspect he may of had a previous history he failed to mention.

Was he asked to show at least the equivalent of 20k baht in cash and did he have it?

What was the reason for the denial of entry? It will shown on the document given him and stamp as a number that indicates the reason under section 12 of the immigration act.

in most countries a tourist can stay up to 180 days in one calendar, he has probably exceeded this.

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

One of the problems is that many countries embassies do not process the visa applications anymore, they have contracted it out to an Indian company called VFSGlobal and they collect all the information now including a lot of the bio-metric stuff

I don't believe any Thailand Visas are processed by VFS Global in India. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes they do accept the applications in India along with another company. They act as an agent and send the application to the embassy or the consulate that has responsibility for the region of the the where country they are located.

16 hours ago, nailbrains8 said:

Spent 8-9 months in total but was in and out visiting other countries during that time.

How months stay Thailand, this is the really question, if he stay more 3 months is not a genuine tourist for many IO

Edited by ICELANDMAN

29 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I said that VFS Global was an Indian company that does visa applications, not that it was done in India. Australia, New Zealand and UK to name just 3 use VFS Global office here in Bangkok for visa applications. VFS Global have offices all over the world

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I said that VFS Global was an Indian company that does visa applications, not that it was done in India. Australia, New Zealand and UK to name just 3 use VFS Global office here in Bangkok for visa applications. VFS Global have offices all over the world

Weren't we talking about Visas for Thailand?

The Visas you mention here are UK Visas (NZ Visas and Oz Visas), completely different. People don't usually apply for Thai Visas in Bangkok! 

Do they get involved in applications for Visas to Thailand? 

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Do they get involved in applications for Visas to Thailand? 

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes they do accept the applications in India along with another company. They act as an agent and send the application to the embassy or the consulate that has responsibility for the region of the the where country they are located.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, onera1961 said:

I would prefer Malaysia over Cambodia. Cambodia is still undeveloped. Not sure if Malaysia will tolerate perpetual tourists

Sent from my Hi9plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Malaysia and Cambodia are both much more tolerant of regular visitors. I've been to Malaysia about half a dozen times and they actually welcome you at the airport - maybe they appreciate your custom instead of assuming you've come to commit crime?

Malaysia is possibly a little more developed than Thailand and certainly a lot less xenophobic due to the fact that the population comprises three distinct ethnic groups, and it used to be a British colony which helped a lot with their infrastructure and development of a half-decent government structure. You can go to a small village and see bumiputras, Indian and Chinese Malays all living alongside each other and all good friends.

But give me Cambodia over Malaysia any day of the week. Much more visceral, exciting, cheaper, and there is proper nightlife with good beer plus beautiful and available girls. Nightlife in Malaysia outside of KL is absolutely shocking, and as a Muslim country almost everything is frowned upon, Cambodia does small batch beers for under $1 a pint and barfines are a couple of dollars. After 2 weeks in Malaysia I was pulling my hair out in frustration, Cambodia I could see myself retiring there and being quite happy.

Worst thing in Cambodia is the food. Malaysia has some very, very tasty food, but Cambodian food IMHO is pretty poor, but luckily most big towns and cities have an abundance of Western-style restaurants.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MattDM said:

The OP to this post is correct. I know this because I AM THE PERSON THIS HAPPENED TO. The OP is a good friend of mine who put this up while I was pretty much on the plane back.

The story;

In 2018 I had a few SETVs (two) which I extended in CM. I then flew back to the UK. I arrived back in Thailand in November 2018 on an METV. Visited Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Myanmar while on it. Left June 2019. Visited Dubai and spent 3 months in the UK.  Went to the Thai consulate in Hull, asked a bunch of questions and got approved for a 2nd METV. Flew into BKK on EVA air on 8th Oct. Then the fun started.

With the IO he asked me a few questions before sending me over to another officer. They asked me more questions before I was sent to a 3rd officer to sit down while they asked the boss. Same guy came back and asked me to follow him. For future reference, this walk is to the detention centre, you are moving away fro immigration. Ask immigration questions here as all future staff will tell you you should ask immigration.

It was here I was sat down and told they were returning me to the UK, after taking photos etc, and not talking to you to tell you what is going on. They then call an airline representative, who will say you are being detained and you need to book another flight back. Asking to go to Vietnam, Philippines seems a waste of time. Sent to a detention cell for 18 hours (1070 baht by the way) and booked another flight home on next EVA flight back. They come 1 hour before flight time, sign you out, keep your passport and only give it back to you when you are in the UK at the UK border.

All in all, £700 on flights, £200 on visas and travel, £50 on trains just to end up where I started.

Vietnam is sounding interesting...........

one question..how many days were you in Thailand in 2019?

I'm retiring to Thailand late next year, joining my wife who went ahead of me at the end of last year. So for about two years in the interim I'll be making 4 x trips a year for 2 weeks each, on visa exempt. The address on the TM6 won't be a hotel but will be a residential address. I'm getting worried now that the residential address will create problems and they will think I'm living in Thailand. Any advice ? In this calendar year I've been once, 4 weeks in July/August. Or am I concerned about nothing...

• Like 1