Refused Entry in BKK - Second METV - Deported back to London

15 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Seeing as your home country is, I believe, France, you might be interested to learn that I received quite a grilling at CDG Airport last July before being permitted to board my return flight to BKK (after visiting my sister who lives in Paris), despite the existence of a re-entry permit in my (British) passport!

I speak French but I'm from Canada. I never had issue at border control except the country I mentioned. However only Thailand ever denied me entry. 

4 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I speak French but I'm from Canada. I never had issue at border control except the country I mentioned. However only Thailand ever denied me entry. 

Lots of Canadians are immigration gamers, and lots of folks seem to have a Canadian passport that also have one from reputable places like Afghanistan and Pakistan.  Borders are porous, common knowledge.  Good maple syrup and plywood though.. 

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

Lots of Canadians are immigration gamers, and lots of folks seem to have a Canadian passport that also have one from reputable places like Afghanistan and Pakistan.  Borders are porous, common knowledge.  Good maple syrup and plywood though.. 

What I mean is that border agent from the commonwealth/UK seems to have a particular training. When going back to my home country I get grilled and I'm not alone. However, I don't take it personally. I understand why and how they try to accomplish their job. 

Edited by Tayaout

5 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

There's always a first time. There was for my friend that I mentioned in the other topic on the same subject.

Yes duly noted and agree wholeheartedly. I’ll be married early in the new year so no more dancing around visa issues for this little black duck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nailbrains8 said:

Precisely this.

I have many friends who work for a few months in their home countries or around the world (oil industry) they earn good money and want to come and spend it in Thailand for 6-9 months.

They apply for a METV visa because it is a 6 month visa and they aren't coming here anymore because of what's going on.

What other options do they have?

Elite visa? Pay 500,000 baht so you can take a 6 month trip... no!

Education? They want to relax and spend their money not go to school.

Retirement? They are under 50.

Clearly their money is not welcome.

Which is fine...

But don't hoodwink them by giving them a visa and then rejecting them at the airport.

It's a disgrace. 

If this is the new norm then Thai immigration needs to stop issuing METV's or reinvoke the old 180 law, make it public and let the world know that long term tourists are not welcome.

Well said.

Bang on the nail, pun unintentional.

I'm due to go to Pattaya in the next few weeks for 2 - 3 months on my NON-IMM, O category, Multiple Entry Visa and I'm worried about being allowed admittance.

It would not be so bad if you could find out in advance. I'll be paying around £600 for the flight and the visa set me back £125 on 28/3/19 (they're £150 now).

I applied in person at the London Embassy, paid cash but there was no hint nor mention of these possible set backs regarding being permitted to enter.

2 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

But this is Thailand and they won`t reinvoke it. The problem with your friend seems so complex, but in the end he arrived there at the wrong time with the wrong IO. Plus he had no clue how to defend himself, which he can`t be blamed for. Guys like him with no gf/native contact here in Thailand are the easiest target. If he would have had a thai gf and would have called her, it would have ended differently. With the typical`I let you enter one last time , but you cannot come back blabla`.

If the detention room would have been full...he would have passed....and so on. There are so many factors you can`t think about, as they are not logic = thai logic. After all, it`s similar to many clubs. The security doesn`t like your face + you are an easy target (other then just the typical 2 weeks visitor) = they won`t let you in. And the reason is, because they can. They can do that in every country worldwide, but the IO in civilized countries are well trained to make decisions based on laws and NOT on subjective feelings/ random factors.

Well put. That's the general impression.

Thai IOs seem to have the demeanour and personality of night club bouncers.

I for one would not be surprised if they get their training on the doors of the night clubs on Walking Street in Pattaya.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

You will not get any visa in the UK now without a prepaid Itenary since 15th June

So you'll have to book and pay for a flight before you know if you can get a visa to gain admittance. That's common sense Thai style. 

Now the METV has been stopped few long termers will be bothering with the LOS any more. If that's what they want that's what they'll be getting.

One of my friends has just got back from Samui, another from Pattaya and another is an expat who lives in Pattaya. All of 'em while admitting that it's high season all say it's as dead as a door nail. So far that's mainly down to the strong baht.

This high season should be interesting.

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

Well said.

Bang on the nail, pun unintentional.

I'm due to go to Pattaya in the next few weeks for 2 - 3 months on my NON-IMM, O category, Multiple Entry Visa and I'm worried about being allowed admittance.

It would not be so bad if you could find out in advance. I'll be paying around £600 for the flight and the visa set me back £125 on 28/3/19 (they're £150 now).

I applied in person at the London Embassy, paid cash but there was no hint nor mention of these possible set backs regarding being permitted to enter.

Let's not forget that in order to even be granted an METV you must show 6 months worth of bank statements to prove you can cover you stay... 

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

So you'll have to book and pay for a flight before you know if you can get a visa to gain admittance. That's common sense Thai style. 

Now the METV has been stopped few long termers will be bothering with the LOS any more. If that's what they want that's what they'll be getting.

One of my friends has just got back from Samui, another from Pattaya and another is an expat who lives in Pattaya. All of 'em while admitting that it's high season all say it's as dead as a door nail. So far that's mainly down to the strong baht.

This high season should be interesting.

Yes you need to have booked flights, accommodation, a UK or Irish passport or ( if you are not a UK or Irish passport holder a long term leave to remain in the UK) and an employer letter specifically addressed to the Embassy or a particular consulate. The METV is still available in the UK. London you now need to apply and pay by using Evisa for all visa classes. There are no 'Walk in' applications allowed. If your not successful in obtaining the METV, they will issue a SETV but there is no return in difference of fees. Then you either post the application or make an appointment to drop it off. They will notify you when the collection is available. It isn't same day service. The Thai consulates in Glasgow, Hull, (Liverpool needs an appointment) and Dublin are same day drop off and collection for Tourist visas. None of the consulates can issue a Non O visa without pre-approval from London
ME Non O visas are no longer issued anywhere in the UK. Only single entry are now issued. None of consulates can accept postal or return applications any longer.

Edited by Lovethailandelite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nailbrains8 said:

They apply for a METV visa because it is a 6 month visa and they aren't coming here anymore because of what's going on.

They don't understand the purpose of this visa then.

It's not for someone to spend 6-9 months in Thailand "continuously" (minus one day every 90 days, with all entries extended), that's why it allows a permission of up to 60 days per entry, and not 6 months per entry.

Other visa categories allow a longer permission of stay per entry.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I'm retiring to Thailand late next year, joining my wife who went ahead of me at the end of last year. So for about two years in the interim I'll be making 4 x trips a year for 2 weeks each, on visa exempt. The address on the TM6 won't be a hotel but will be a residential address. I'm getting worried now that the residential address will create problems and they will think I'm living in Thailand. Any advice ? In this calendar year I've been once, 4 weeks in July/August. Or am I concerned about nothing...

I've put "guesthouse, Bangkok" on mine several times because I hadn't booked anywhere, never had any issues. Doubt they look at it tbh.

Edited by SteveK

It seems that I am seeing daily refusals posted in this forum almost everyday.

Yeah, it's silly that you're issued a tourist visa but not allowed into the country.

Immigration should refund back the cost of the visa and cost of airplane ticket back if that's the case.

It's a different case if you came in without applying for a visa.

My advice for future 'visitors' is to fly to Philippines or Vietnam first , buy another ticket from there and then only fly to Thailand. If they reject you, then at least you can go 'back' to those two countries instead of wasting your ticket money.

Does the airline give free flights back for those who are rejected entry??? Just curious.

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 1

Thank you very much Nailsbrains8 for the suggestion of flying from a not far away country.  I will do that because I have a O-A visa, multiple entry. I got a reentry permit that extended my permission to stay until 11 Dec 2019 when I left in March 2019.  My O-A expiration date was June 5, 2019.  I returned to Thailand in August of 2019, but did not get a reentry permit when I left in September 2019.  Upon arrival in August, my passport was stamped with permission to stay until 11 December. Since I did not get a reentry permit before in August, will I have a problem if I return by 11 December 2019?  Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Ej2562
show that my original visa was a multiple entry

On 10/11/2019 at 2:15 AM, nailbrains8 said:

Yes, he wanted to fly to Vietnam but they wouldn't allow it.

thats bs and downright scary coming in from the usa on a metv. no way im losing $1k usd on a refusal and buying another $1k usd ticket to try a second time. thats the end of flying into thailand direct from home country if it ever happens.

whats your friend going to do now, risk another rt ticket? tell them to fly into other base airports nearby, for example singapore and use those as a base hub in and out instead of bangkok.

Edited by fhickson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nong Khai Man said:

You'll Have NO Problem entering with a Non-Imm " O " Multi.....

I have never been refused but have been seriously worried of late. It might be better than a tourist visa, but I have encountered questioning leading to downright hostility on occasion. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lkv said:

It's not for someone to spend 6-9 months in Thailand "continuously" (minus one day every 90 days, with all entries extended), that's why it allows a permission of up to 60 days per entry, and not 6 months per entry.

Go back a couple of pages and read the guys history who got rejected. He was travelling a lot on his last METV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2019 at 12:18 AM, DaRoadrunner said:
On 10/10/2019 at 5:08 PM, thecyclist said:

absurd and unpredictable.

Just two words that describe Thailand perfectly. And they wonder why less tourists are coming.

The small handful of visitors turned away by suspicious IOs makes no impression whatsoever on visitor numbers which are in the millions every year!

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 12:18 AM, DaRoadrunner said:

So why give people a visa if you are going to turn them away?

The people who approve the visas are not the people who turn them away! 

The people who approve the visas do not do the same checks, or ask the same questions, that IOs whose suspicions are aroused do because they are not IOs.

On 10/11/2019 at 12:35 AM, DaRoadrunner said:

And just how do they expect to encourage people to invest here when company executives have to report their every move by TM30? Stupid!

Visitors to Thailand do not have to "report their every move".  What have "company executives" got to do with this specifically, do you think that there are different rules for them?

9 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Then when the visa is issued, some information should be provided to the person explaining that they can still be refused if the IO has reason to think that they "come Thailand too mutt".

What percentage of people do you seriously think that applies to, i.e. what %age have been refused entry?