Refused Entry in BKK - Second METV - Deported back to London

36 minutes ago, Selatan said:

I think the Thai government knows exactly what they are doing. I think they are trying to get rid of Thailand's image as a sex tourist attraction. You yourself have said before that Malaysia was a boring place for you and you preferred Cambodia. That shows many young farangs are in Thailand mainly for sex and to allow the continued visa-runs would keep Thailand's huge sex industry alive and definitely the Thai government doesn't like that. Malaysia has plenty of beautiful islands, cool highlands, better infrastructure, good food and cleaner air but that wouldn't be attractive enough to the typical sexpat. 

I have always avoided visiting Thailand in the past even though it is Malaysia's neighbour because of its image as a sex capital but after the previous military junta took over and tried to clean up its image, then only I started visiting Thailand for the food, shopping, temples, culture, scenic views and also for business. The Thai government's effort is paying off because it is now common for Malaysians to visit Thailand with the whole family, unlike in the past, where mostly only men would go to Thailand solely for the whores.

That's a funny post when you consider that many Malaysian visitors to the South of Thailand come to Thailand for nothing but sex. There are brothels in places like Sungai Kolok to cater pretty much exclusively to Malaysian sex tourists. Should Thailand get rid of them, too, in an effort to eradicate its brothel industry?

Edited by Caldera
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Caldera said:

I think the Thai authorities don't have any valid excuse for mistreating this visitor. The consulate saw his entire history in his current passport, so not having access to immigration's database isn't a valid excuse in this particular case. There's no official or published rule that he broke either. Just rogue IOs making up their own rules, quite possibly to receive a kickback on detention fees charged and most certainly to "promote" their own little "privileged entry" service that they've set up at BKK. Disgusting.

Immigration will see his whole history. The consulate or embassy will only see the current passport.

Not doubting the OP or his mate, but there is ALWAYS a backstory to threads like this that are never made clear.

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Immigration will see his whole history. The consulate or embassy will only see the current passport.

Not doubting the OP or his mate, but there is ALWAYS a backstory to threads like this that are never made clear.

He posted his entire history.

What isn't clear to you exactly?

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes, I read stuff in the forum and it does make you worried, perhaps needlessly.

My Thai wife and I have visited Thailand very frequently over the las 10 years, but for max. 3-4 weeks each time. Now we have a house over there and she spends most of her time there, ahead of me joining her permanently in 12-18 months time. So now when I visit for 2 weeks three or four times a year the TM6 has a Thai residential address, and I was asked last time if I lived there or not. The IO accepted it when I said no, but they will probably ask it again. That is a concern. Having an return ticket or onward ticket should help but it seems that it doesn't always. They can still refuse entry. Theoretically I should have no problems at all, but if you get the wrong IO who has been having a bad day, you just don't know.

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes, I read stuff in the forum and it does make you worried, perhaps needlessly.

My Thai wife and I have visited Thailand very frequently over the las 10 years, but for max. 3-4 weeks each time. Now we have a house over there and she spends most of her time there, ahead of me joining her permanently in 12-18 months time. So now when I visit for 2 weeks three or four times a year the TM6 has a Thai residential address, and I was asked last time if I lived there or not. The IO accepted it when I said no, but they will probably ask it again. That is a concern. Having an return ticket or onward ticket should help but it seems that it doesn't always. They can still refuse entry. Theoretically I should have no problems at all, but if you get the wrong IO who has been having a bad day, you just don't know.

Do what I did. On the immi form write visit wife as the answer for reason to visit.  For accommodation write wife and her address in Thailand, not a hotel. I did that for 5 years on visa exempts for five years without a problem.

Disclaimer, we live in Isaan and that seems to go down well with the IO's as I guess a lot of them are from, or have roots there.

Contrary to what some posters relate I have had no problems coming and going to Thailand. Only once did a female IO 'recommend' I get a visa. I asked how do I do that and just got a blank look and an entry stamp. Most IO's have been quite pleasant especially around Songkran when greeted with  sawadee pimai khrup.

Honestly in all my visits I have only ever heard one guy, in the queue next to me, get asked for a return ticket.

I guess I am in the 30-40 million people demographic who come and go from Thailand with ease.

Seems ONLY TVF members get hassled.

36 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Do what I did. On the immi form write visit wife as the answer for reason to visit.  For accommodation write wife and her address in Thailand, not a hotel. I did that for 5 years on visa exempts for five years without a problem.

Disclaimer, we live in Isaan and that seems to go down well with the IO's as I guess a lot of them are from, or have roots there.

Thanks for telling your experience.  Yes, if asked and I tell them that I live and work in the UK and send money across regularly to support my wife they are likely to be very happy about that, they would respect it. And in that situation logical you'd want to visit her a few times a year for short periods as your employer allows. Being pedantic, "visiting wife" isn't tourism though, so theoretically a visa exempt shouldn't be granted for that purpose. In theory you should apply for a 60 day Non-O visa for that purpose. Fortunately for a 7-14 day visit they seem relaxed about the visa-exempt.

Edited by Tuvoc

3 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Hope you don’t mind me asking this but it’s a genuine question.

I presume you are not working any longer as you have the time and resources to travel to Thailand regularly. I also presume you have been doing this for a few years (in that your current non-o is not your first).

What is the attraction of Thailand for you? I can’t imagine that it’s temples (seen one, seen them all), the regular Thai person (unless you are fluent in Thai or them fluent in English) or Thai food (it’s good but surely not that good that you want to eat it all the time).

Could it then be the bar scene? If so, I hear that Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, Hong Kong, China also has active nightlife.

As I mentioned in my first sentence, this is a genuine question.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't mind. Not at all.

It's the Pattaya bar scene and the night life in general that I go for. It's become like a home from home for me.

I keep my room on all the time and I get a reduced rate which makes it financially viable, or it used to. I have several friends there, mainly falangs but also a few Thai women who work in the bars.

I got my first non imm O visa in 2007 and stay each time for 80 - 90 days and then go back to the UK for 2 or 3 months. I'm retired and receive state and private pensions.

I can eat sh!t if you put sugar on it so the food is of little consequence and the only times I've been to a temple have been for the funerals of a couple of ex pat chums.

I've been to Cebu and Davao in the PI but did not rate it and do not have the inclination at my age to explore possible greener pastures if I can still visit Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattDM said:

UPDATE:  I phoned the Thai consulate today and had a quick chat with the staff there.

Firstly, they seemed a bit confused as to why I might have been refused entry. Going back over the visas again, it seems no law was broken, nor any known guidelines, so there was general agreement that I was just in the wrong queue at the wrong time.

The outcome of it all was this.

They don't know of any refund departments.

A new passport might help.

Avoid Bangkok. A border crossing with a new visa is my best option. 

So there you go. Let's try this all again.

Sorry to hear about your story man.

Im actually concerned now since I did a 8-9 month stay with the METV from December 2018 - Aug 2019 and I am planning to do another 8-9 month stay soon. I already booked my flight and will land in Phuket December 6 2019, so if anything does happen with me I will report back to this post. I hold a USA passport if anyone is wondering. 
Good luck going back and let us know if you have the same issues! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattDM said:

UPDATE:  I phoned the Thai consulate today and had a quick chat with the staff there.

Firstly, they seemed a bit confused as to why I might have been refused entry. Going back over the visas again, it seems no law was broken, nor any known guidelines, so there was general agreement that I was just in the wrong queue at the wrong time.

The outcome of it all was this.

They don't know of any refund departments.

A new passport might help.

Avoid Bangkok. A border crossing with a new visa is my best option. 

So there you go. Let's try this all again.

If you add 60 days plus your visits to Thailand from mid December 2018 do you get 180 days or more?

It seems that some IOs are enforcing a non-existent rule of 180 days or less. 

What if you add 6, 8 or 9 months over a rolling 12 -month period?

There are now many recent threads about people having issues with METVs. It's almost like the IOs have instructions to scrutinise anyone with an METV. Hmmm...

Edited by thinktoomuch

6 hours ago, Hk810 said:

Sorry to hear about your story man.

Im actually concerned now since I did a 8-9 month stay with the METV from December 2018 - Aug 2019 and I am planning to do another 8-9 month stay soon. I already booked my flight and will land in Phuket December 6 2019, so if anything does happen with me I will report back to this post. I hold a USA passport if anyone is wondering. 
Good luck going back and let us know if you have the same issues! 

Unfortunately, along with the 2 Bangkok airports, Phuket is known as a rather difficult entry point. You'll probably be ok, but I would bring as much supporting documentation and cash as possible.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 5:59 PM, phuketrichard said:

the area around Sadao near the border is booming with 5 star clubs, restaurants & hotels that are equal to what you find in Bangkok,   ALL for the single male Malay "tourists"

i see nothing that has been cleaned up in the sex industry.

other than the fact, according to the thai goverment, prostitution does not exist in Pattaya

i see nothing that has been cleaned up in the sex industry.

other than the fact, according to the thai goverment, prostitution does not exist in Pattaya.........I Was led to believe it Doesn't excist ANYWHERE In Thailand !!!!

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 6:40 PM, yogi100 said:

I don't mind. Not at all.

It's the Pattaya bar scene and the night life in general that I go for. It's become like a home from home for me.

I keep my room on all the time and I get a reduced rate which makes it financially viable, or it used to. I have several friends there, mainly falangs but also a few Thai women who work in the bars.

I got my first non imm O visa in 2007 and stay each time for 80 - 90 days and then go back to the UK for 2 or 3 months. I'm retired and receive state and private pensions.

I can eat sh!t if you put sugar on it so the food is of little consequence and the only times I've been to a temple have been for the funerals of a couple of ex pat chums.

I've been to Cebu and Davao in the PI but did not rate it and do not have the inclination at my age to explore possible greener pastures if I can still visit Thailand.

I can eat sh!t if you put sugar on it........I Bet it's NOT Very Tasty though,Is it ??

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mockingbird said:

Unfortunately, along with the 2 Bangkok airports, Phuket is known as a rather difficult entry point. You'll probably be ok, but I would bring as much supporting documentation and cash as possible.

Good luck.

ugh lol what documents should i bring? i don't plan on bringing cash since my debit card doesn't charge any fees. I guess a bank statement? 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Hk810 said:

ugh lol what documents should i bring? i don't plan on bringing cash since my debit card doesn't charge any fees. I guess a bank statement? 

Thanks 

Will you avoid the per withdrawal 220baht flat fee charged at Thai ATMs with that card? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeraldB22 said:

I had a similar situation, almost twice now. My TV's issued by London who raised no objections, yet when I arrived in BKK was almost detained on both occasions, despite spending long periods of time out of the country.

It seems that whether you are approved your Visa does not matter, what matters is luck on which IO you get. For anyone that looks like they are living in Thailand on a tourist visa they will try to refuse you entry, regardless of whether you pass the criteria.  

It isn't only tourist visas. Non 'O's are gradually coming under suspicion too. I have yet to be refused entry, but lately at border points in the south, I have this feeling that they are just itching to bring the hammer down but the time is not right. Yet.

Edited by baboon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Will you avoid the per withdrawal 220baht flat fee charged at Thai ATMs with that card? 

On a side note: I have an ATM card from Aus that refunds all ATM and foreign transaction fees plus gives current XE rate on withdarwals. If there's any aussies here check out the ING Everyday account

• Like 1

It isn't only tourist visas. Non 'O's are gradually coming under suspicion too. I have yet to be refused entry, but lately at border points in the south, I have this feeling that they are just itching to bring the hammer down but the time is not right. Yet.

Really? Why would that be? Or are you one of those “they do not want us here” type?

• Sad 1

On 10/11/2019 at 7:32 AM, lamyai3 said:

Agree, I always arrive in heavier Western clothes at airport immigration since it's lighter to wear them than carry them, and also due to the fact that aircraft temperatures are unpredictable. Nothing worse than trying to nap on a long haul flight when the aircon is set too cold - I even travel with a scarf in my carry on bag. 

If I have found a flight to cold or to hot I inform the cabin staff and they change the temperature. Never been refused. 
Had a freaky flight once where I sat by the emergency door which unbeknown to me was leaking in cold air. When I got up to hit the bathroom I fell onto the floor because my feet were numb and had no feeling. Unfortunately the flight was full so they couldn’t move me. I spent the rest of the flight with my feet and legs wrapped in many blankets. If I had bitched about the whole thing I might have got a free flight in the future.....but otherwise nothing. I think it was a Continental flight.

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2019 at 3:59 PM, BritTim said:

There is a rule that the airline that brought you to Thailand is responsible for your removal. He arrived on British Airways. I doubt BA has flights from Bangkok to Vietnam, so that would not have been an option.

The reason that Thailand immigration, or the immigration authority of any country, and an airline generally send one back to one's "home country" is because one is guaranteed entry into one's home (passport) country

For example, if one tries to enter Thailand, or any country, by air and one is denied, the airline isn't likely to go along with allowing one to go to, for example, Vietnam, because, unless one planned to visit Vietnam and has a visa, Vietnam would deny entry and the airline would be in the same position as it was when one was denied entry to Thailand.

Now if one holds a visa which allows residency in another country, for example, a Philippines Special Resident Retiree Visa (SRRV), one could likely convince the airline to allow one to buy a ticket to Manila because an SRRV holder is not very likely to be denied entry.

Or, likely simpler and less expensive for most folks, is to get a visa for a neighboring country prior to leaving one's home country; not terribly expensive and having that would give one a chance to convince an airline to allow one to buy a ticket for that country rather than having to go to the greater expense and long flight of going back home.

At the end of the day, airlines don't want the uncertainty of shuttling a passenger to-and-fro trying to find a country that will allow them to enter - just ship him back home and be done with him

11 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Really? Why would that be? Or are you one of those “they do not want us here” type?

I am reporting my experiences as a Thaivisa member in good standing since 2006. My suspicions may be wrong, but let the readership decide for themselves. 

My posting record is there for anyone interested to see.

• Thanks 1

It’s a scandal and scam to continually allow consulates to take money for visa after inspecting passport it and then its rejected at the border ! Don’t give me the bull about different parts of officialdom ! They both know very well what’s going on !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GeraldB22 said:

I had a similar situation, almost twice now. My TV's issued by London who raised no objections, yet when I arrived in BKK was almost detained on both occasions, despite spending long periods of time out of the country.

It seems that whether you are approved your Visa does not matter, what matters is luck on which IO you get. For anyone that looks like they are living in Thailand on a tourist visa they will try to refuse you entry, regardless of whether you pass the criteria.  

How long time have you spent in and out of Thailand?