Are Thais reacting to Farang negative attitudes?

sirineou

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Are farangs now reacting to the obvious discrimination, dual charging, immigration hassles and general discriminatory attitude towards them, from Thai policy makers...would rather be the question IMHO of course.

Of course they are reacting , there several treads going about this subject, some with over a thousand pages. Are you saying that past attitude were justified because of some of your above gripes, and as such would not garner a negative reaction fro Thais?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Who am I to say anything my dear fellow.  Or maybe, tit for tat, lex talioniscause and effect,  may be some  ingredients to ponder or garner ?

You are the one who in your previous response seem to think that it is justified.

The question is not if it is justified. the question is  it prudent

33 minutes ago, TDCNINJA said:

Wouldn't it have much easier for you just to say "I'm tired of all the complaining that farangs do on Thaivisa. They should be more grateful to here. In fact, whenever a Thai flogs then, they should simply say "Thank you, Sir, may I have another."

It would have being much easier not to say anything at all. But should we not consider the possibility. 

So are you also saying that our reaction is justified because pf past perceived "flogs" ?  and a Thai reactions

(if any) are worth it ? 

Edited by sirineou
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Of course they would, they have manners, What would they say to you. "No you suck and deserve anything you get" LOL.

And of course they would say we should be treated with respect,  should we also treat them with the same respect? 

By the way, I think most of as are respectful and that it is a vocal minority who is not, and might be  ruining it for all of as. 

As They also criticizing Thai officials , It is their country, they not only have the right, it is their democratic responsibility to criticize their country. We on the other hand need to be a litle more diplomatic IMO, 

I beg to differ but will keep keep my opinion and you can keep yours..... just one question though, have you ever been illegally harassed/confined by RTP/IMO, if you (unfortunately) did, were you treated in all fairness, respectfully and your rights, as a human being, respected? can you for a moment consider that maybe and I say maybe, some (or many) people here a TV, yes the ones whom may have criticized Thais, maybe they have their reason(s) to do so,  maybe by yours or mine standards they didn't act as we would expected but maybe by their standards they considered it a proper action to take/do....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You are the one who in your previous response seem to think that it is justified.

The question is not if it is justified. the question is . Is 

Was not assuming it was justified, was humbly trying to understand why things happen. A bit like curing the desease and not just treating the symptoms.

Edited by observer90210

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm tempted to respond to this in a typical Thai way -- you thik too mut! If the government changes policies based on noise on these forums, first of all how would we ever now of any kind of direct connection, and secondly then what do you suggest? Everyone post nothing but platitudes here?

Not at al Jingthing. I don't think the government changes its policies based on  social media policy. But IMO it would be unwise to think that social media is not one of the inputs. Also unwise to think that Thais in Government don't have a pride that when injured might prove a negative response.

Nonetheless, should we at the very least consider the possibility? 

Also I think there is a vast spectrum between disrespect and platitudes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Was not assuming it was justified, was humbly trying to understand why things happen. A bit like curing the desease and not just treating the symptoms,

There very well might  be a "disease" but is it possible that the cure might be worse than the disease?

1 minute ago, NightSky said:

No

Maybe 

13 minutes ago, observer90210 said:
24 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The question is not if it is justified. the question is . Is 

Was not assuming it was justified, was humbly trying to understand why things happen. A bit like curing the desease and not just treating the symptoms.

Edited 6 minutes ago by observer90210

My apologies

I re read the post you were reacting too and see that somehow I had erased the last word thus changing its intended meaning , it should read

"The question is not if it is justified. the question is it prudent"  which is the bases of my OP

I have since gone back and edited my post

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

My apologies

I re read the post you were reacting too and see that somehow I had erased the last word thus changing its intended meaning , it should read

"The question is not if it is justified. the question is it prudent"  which is the bases of my OP

I have since gone back and edited my post

No problem Sir.

Is it prudent ? Of course not. But both sides have a lot to loose in this context, not just one party.

• Like 1

Ripping people of is not the sole domain of Thais
Its almost Global
NY Taxi Drivers
London Taxi Drivers
I think it may be a prerequisite in some forms of employment to be a <deleted>

Songtheows are included 

I see some of the over charging to be a peer down thing.

When Governments openly charge foreigners more for museums etc it sends a direct message that it is OK.

One thing that rankles is the whole Buddhist BS. when basically someone is stealing from you whether its a racial thing or just the thought that you can afford it.

For certain some of the posts here are beyond disrespect and its the whole computer thing its not the sole domain of TVF.
Though certain age groups I thought would have acted with more decorum alas not so so many years living with people who may not be educated to a certain standard and people get a false sense of superiority.

As for governments well we all complain about them all and Thailand is globally known to be what it is as well as the TRP.

What goes around comes around 
Some Thais may tar everyone with the same brush its known as a sex tourism country 
and worse years ago when minors were on sale.

its a developing nation it has a long way to go as do many in the TVF

everybody hates somebody they need someone to look down on its a human condition 

people lash out 

so what do you do if you dont have a car get a bus get a grab 
go to tesco
i minimize the times where i may be double charged i avoid places that are rude to me.
though sometimes that unavoidable
i topped up my cinema card the other day the young girl was very curt no thainess there 
but then again customer service in the uk is also total ****
sometimes i think i see nuanced changes in society that are a greater reflection of global times
i dont see it as a happy moment in human history

and maybe its just all reflective

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

am with you.......when something bad happens to Thai outside Thailand they call it discrimination when it happens to expats in Thailand what is it called ??? bad luck? poor attitude? wrong place wrong time?

Do "they"? IMO Thai outside of Asia at least are usually afforded much the same attitude as westerners in Asia. Not discrimination exactly but certainly a resigned lack of respect at least by bored immigration staff.

In the public domain there is  either indifference  or at different levels subtle application of home cultural preference in expectations of language especially. Comfort  zone.

No different in Thailand. Apart from Immigration services or officialdom  is there any realistic expectation  of a nation where education has only recently introduced  even a low level attempt to  teach basic English  alongside basic  education in Thai to the  majority?

In my  younger  days I  back packed  around  Europe  with  zero or scant  knowledge of  language other than English. The  people I came in contact with of almost every nation had as  much knowledge of English as I did of their language. I would add that I did  not follow the tourist route  and so Hotels etc did not  cater to foreigners per se'. I coped and it was interesting. I suffered  amusement, annoyance, suspicion, and at  times derision and on occasion malice for  being an "outsider".

By contrast , in Thailand, I have experienced  only curiosity, amusement, and yes some derision on occasion  for social/cultural  faux pas but never any aspect of malice or rejection.

Despite near two decades in Thailand I still have only basic ability to communicate in spoken Thai.

Yet I am addressed rarely as the  "farang" in reference by even people unknown to me who visit our home.

I can only conclude that is because I am seen to be assimilated into  family and community. I have to admit I personally do not always feel it but I appreciate it reciprocally.

Too often I witness so  many westeners  vent anger and frustration because of what appears to be an attitude of  superiority based  on ????? Usually it appears to  be as simple as.....attitude.

Thai culture at any level respects respect.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm tempted to respond to this in a typical Thai way -- you thik 2 mut! If the government changes policies based on noise on these forums, first of all how would we ever now of any kind of direct connection, and secondly then what do you suggest? Everyone post nothing but platitudes here?

I think what does happen and is known is that the visa forum parts are read by immigration. When people talk about loopholes yes sometimes action has probably been taken in response to that information share. Loose farang lips sink ships. 

Old joke...ends  with  "Supplies  supplies !"

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Normal thai people not care/think about caucasion people, Chinese people, Indian people.

Yinn, I like to read your views, you are obviously educated and know how to express yourself. The thing that disappoints me is that you are only 1 of 68 million people who care to do it. Why don't more Thai's share their views with farang?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Yinn, I like to read your views, you are obviously educated and know how to express yourself. The thing that disappoints me is that you are only 1 of 68 million people who care to do it. Why don't more Thai's share their views with farang?

Do you share your views about the Thais with them, and in the Thai language?

• Like 1