Are Thais reacting to Farang negative attitudes?

sirineou

I too have been thinking of this in resent times. Anyone that thinks authority doesn’t care and for not read all the known forums are being extremely naive in my opinion. 

Whether it has any bearing on decisions up the chain no one would ever know but it wouldn’t be ignored either 

On 10/11/2019 at 4:22 PM, DEKEM said:

sorry you got upset.  just my opinion.

Sorry, you mistook my reply as being 'upset.' Again, using a single experience and IMO, cliche, to be in disagreement with someone who was talking about several occurrences is kinda poor.

Edited by Solinvictus

On 10/11/2019 at 5:26 PM, bangkokequity said:

You do not owe an apology.  Clearly, this person has a TON of baggage, VERY thin skin, and a MASSIVE ego issue.  Just ignore this and move on ... a total waste of your time. 

Hey brotha, just sharing my thoughts on the locals. "massive ego," ha. This is a forum to post and share is it not?

Its fun to pick apart posts on here that fail to read or take in previous posts.

On 10/10/2019 at 6:07 PM, bangkokequity said:

It is not just Thai people who grow weary of the constant negative attitude and complaining ... lots of us Expats who call Thailand our real home are sick of it too.  That is why you see us just go "glass eye' and not even acknowledge other foreigners ... simply not worth having them ruin a nice day.

I often see groups of foreigners with scowls on their faces enough to make the paint melt off the walls. They all seem to have this dark black cloud above their heads. They all look like they are in total agony. Perhaps its long overdue they put themselves out of their 24/7 misery. They seem to frighten any Thais they approach. I walked up to a group just yesterday to watch their response when i smiled and said hello. No response nothing, as they went from one bowl of fruit samples to another until they were empty and wandered off. I wonder why so many Thais dislike so many foreigners. It always seems to be the Euros. Maybe its better you sour pusses just stay home and stare at the tv and don,t contaminate areas with your radioactive vibes and creepy behavior.

A very salient point that I missed in my first response to your reply. To think that authorities do not monitor these pages especially when it pertains to issues associated with their responsibilities is IMO laughable, then we ask with surprise when they react.
Indeed "Loose farang lips sink ships. "

Laughable in your view it may be.

Nevertheless I am fairly certain that the views expressed on this forum are a matter of no interest to the Thai authorities.Even if they were aware of the forum and able to understand the contents,it would be completely out of character for them to examine any of it in detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Nevertheless I am fairly certain that the views expressed on this forum are a matter of no interest to the Thai authorities.Even if they were aware of the forum and able to understand the contents,it would be completely out of character for them to examine any of it in detail.

Most authoritarian   and some not so authoritarian governments monitor social media, more so IMO in a social media obsessed country such as Thailand.  If no one monitored or even was aware of this forum why would this forum be so concerned with  lèse majesté law infractions?

IMO not only are Thai authorities , especially Thai authorities tasked with expat visa  issues, aware of this forum, they are also aware of Google.and some of them can even read English.

First page return on Google search term "thai retirement visa extension". Don't you think a bored bureaucrat playing on it's smartphone, might come across this, and might want to score some points with his boss and advance his/hers career by discovering and eliminating  a loophole?     

image.png.25a6062da0c50cd9b9994e4da87080d1.png

On 10/10/2019 at 5:52 PM, CharlieH said:

I believe far too many people (expats) place too much importance on their presence here and whether or not it really matters in the large scheme of things.

which is easily ego inflating with locals hovering over you every where you go.

then when you dont get that extra attention or service, which you likely never wanted in the first place, it can feel like a slight and cause anger.

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Most authoritarian   and some not so authoritarian governments monitor social media, more so IMO in a social media obsessed country such as Thailand.  If no one monitored or even was aware of this forum why would this forum be so concerned with  lèse majesté law infractions?

Thailand is not really an authoritarian country - like China for example - despite appearances.THat's part of its charm however much huffing and puffing the elites get up to.Social media is pervasive as you note and Thais say (sometimes in private to friends) more or less what they like.

Your last sentence is a non sequitur.Lèse majesté is not permitted on the forum because it is against the law and the vast majority of members respect this and a few other restrictions as simple good manners given we are mostly guests here.

But believe me the Thai State is not closely monitoring the whimpers of a few old foreign codgers about retirement extensions or whatever.They don't care - the Immigration Department sets out the rules and that's it.

They be monitoring "troublesome" Thai activists but that's a different matter.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jayboy said:

But believe me the Thai State is not closely monitoring the whimpers of a few old foreign codgers about retirement extensions or whatever.They don't care - the Immigration Department sets out the rules and that's it.

They be monitoring "troublesome" Thai activists but that's a different matter.

The Thai state might not be closely monitoring the Expat community. 

But don't you think that a bureaucrat in in a department administering Expat immigration issues and tasked with reform of loopholes Expats might use to circumvent immigration regulations, might want to know what said expats talk with each other about  how to circumvent these immigration regulations?

I know I would !

and the first and easiest thing to do would be to look into social media. A simple google search would give such bureaucrat all the answers he needs.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 6:03 PM, Yinn said:

It bother me. Because I read TVF. Rude people a lot. Shocking me. Why they live thailand? 

But

Normal thai people not care/think about caucasion people, Chinese people, Indian people. Care about the neighbor, friend, family, food, job and pet. 

Not talk about foreigner much. For what? Not care what foreigner think.

Also, TVF people (some) so rude. But they not do this way in real life. To scared. Only behind computer.

Most is friendly and polite. If not, will have the problem. 

Polite is best way.

Thai people care their neighbours??? Lol

Family?? Lol Friends? Lol. 

Pets? Yes. Money? Yes. Food? Yes yes yes

My Thai wife has lived and worked in Europe for a couple of years. Travelled around Europe a bit. 

We moved back to Thailand and now she is begging me to leave....

She made more friends in Europe than in Thailand even though she has only lived a fracture of her life there. 

She knows the difference now.

Edited by garrya
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, garrya said:

My Thai wife has lived and worked in Europe for a couple of years. Travelled around Europe a bit. 

We moved back to Thailand and now she is begging me to leave....

She made more friends in Europe than in Thailand even though she has only lived a fracture of her life there. 

She knows the difference now.

Nice story, but how, exactly does it answer the ops question or even relate to any other post in the thread. 

8 hours ago, jayboy said:

You'd be surprised...

• Haha 1

To the OP and with respect. That was then, this is now. The nation for foreigners is nothing like it was in 2005 and it's not over. We are looking at forced worthless insurance and potential increases in deposits for O visas. I'm certain they will dream up yet another nonsensical Orwellian measure to further monitor us. Double standards in the national parks and hospitals. We are not welcome but merely allowed to exist until more ways dreamt up to exclude us.

Sorry bro, the TM30 is just bureaucratic insanity. I often wonder if it exist to fund the army and RTP.

Law has become an absolute farce since 2014.

I want to live in a free country and I want to know the kids have a fighting chance to make their way in the world.

I as you are no guest yet we exist in guest visas. My wife entered the US two weeks ago with me in less than ten minutes. I'd argue her B1 better and more flexible than my tedious O visa. Ten years as well.

You have a valid point but there's obviously huge resentment and anger. Very inscrutable actions.

The great Oz runs the show now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metempsychotic said:

Nice story, but how, exactly does it answer the ops question or even relate to any other post in the thread. 

Op is bashing farangs because of a few bitter geezers. Op implies that farangs mainly talk <deleted> about Thai people for no reason.

I have tried to show that the reality is slightly different. There are justifiable reasons why westerners talk <deleted> about Thailand. 

45 minutes ago, garrya said:

Op is bashing farangs because of a few bitter geezers. Op implies that farangs mainly talk <deleted> about Thai people for no reason.

I have tried to show that the reality is slightly different. There are justifiable reasons why westerners talk <deleted> about Thailand. 

Yeah, but you actually didn't say any of that though did you? 

And nobody actually argues that Thailand doesn't have sigficant room for improvement, or myriad flaws, however, op is not talking about mere criticism, it is talking about the outright disdain and disrespect often shown by foreigners towards Thailand and its people as a whole. 

So while I'm sorry your wife wants to leave Thailand, and has had difficulty resettling here, I suspect she does not think it is filled with backward morons and a culture of stupidity as is often put forth here. 

Edited by metempsychotic

Nobody anywhere takes outright criticism well, myself included!!! why expect people to accept it with good grace?

I learn from my Thai family and they happily teach. My Thai family learn from me on occasion, not that I can do things better, just different, sometimes they like to watch and learn to do different too ???? even though sometimes I must accept there is a little mocking of my ways. I have learnt to avoid direct criticism because often it is a case of each to their own.

I would be very surprised if Thai visa is not given at least a cursory glance by the appropriate officials relating to certain topics, and thus perhaps inadvertently discovering the demeanor of the posters. If for no other reason than it is so easy to do!

I think the input from Yinn leaves a clear picture of the impression that can be inflicted

• Like 1

14 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

Yeah, but you actually didn't say any of that though did you? 

And nobody actually argues that Thailand doesn't have sigficant room for improvement, or myriad flaws, however, op is not talking about mere criticism, it is talking about the outright disdain and disrespect often shown by foreigners towards Thailand and its people as a whole. 

So while I'm sorry your wife wants to leave Thailand, and has had difficulty resettling here, I suspect she does not think it is filled with backward morons and a culture of stupidity as is often put forth here. 

My missus hasn't had a difficulty resettling here. She has had a difficulty understanding <deleted> is wrong with this country and its people. She used to like her country and believed how wonderful this nation was. Then she has had the chance to see the world and now she has a more negative opinion on her own country than most of these so-called bitter farangs. 

Remember this: It does not matter what people say, it matters who says it. 

Thailand is not a place that has room for improvement, but it's a place that needs a major revamp. I am not a basher and I am not a person who criticizes for fun or because of boredom, and I wouldn't do that openly, but let's be real; we all understand why loads of farangs show disrespect towards Thailand. 

Some people wear those extra-thick rose-tinted glasses, but some don't. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, garrya said:

My missus hasn't had a difficulty resettling here. She has had a difficulty understanding <deleted> is wrong with this country and its people. She used to like her country and believed how wonderful this nation was. Then she has had the chance to see the world and now she has a more negative opinion on her own country than most of these so-called bitter farangs. 

Remember this: It does not matter what people say, it matters who says it. 

Thailand is not a place that has room for improvement, but it's a place that needs a major revamp. I am not a basher and I am not a person who criticizes for fun or because of boredom, and I wouldn't do that openly, but let's be real; we all understand why loads of farangs show disrespect towards Thailand. 

Some people wear those extra-thick rose-tinted glasses, but some don't. 

I think the rose tinted glasses are more frequently worn by those looking to western history and lifestyle as a sound example ????

The authoritarian approach is imposed with a little more subtlety in western nations - take brexit the power of the people, have your say........really?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I think the rose tinted glasses are more frequently worn by those looking to western history and lifestyle as a sound example ????

The authoritarian approach is imposed with a little more subtlety in western nations - take brexit the power of the people, have your say........really?

Well, we all could write a list of advantages and disadvantages of living here, living there... We all have our priorities and values.

We can talk about Politics, but it is a tainted nasty thing all over the world. We can talk about history, cuisine, laws, education etc. 

It is a matter of perception how people look at things. (I have a Thai acquaintance who BELIEVES there is no issue with Thai Police, nor does he think corruption is significant in Thailand. There is no point in arguing with him for sure. He is definitely wearing the newest model of rose-tinted glasses)

We can put our heads in the sand, but the problems won't disappear. Facts are stubborn things no matter what our wishes are.

There are nasty people, bad services, corruption, etc. everywhere in the world. But what's the likelihood of experiencing something unpleasant? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

So why is your perception that those who accept life is a little different, more relaxed about certain rules and regulations, even less complicated perhaps in Thailand, that they are looking through 'rose tinted glasses'?

I would say some people are capable of appreciating the benefits of Thailand, and if they are smart they operate within the system that works for the Thai people. Otherwise probably living a life of missed opportunity and expectations leading to a negative view of their adopted country.

I see Thailand moving forward in its own inimitable way, sadly the failure is most likely to be the following of western consumer culture. There is a great deal to be said for family values, community spirit, and the subsistence package that sets Thailand apart from much of the world these days.

You answered the question. The system that works for Thai people ... 

That is the answer to why those bitter farangs bad-mouth. They do not understand this rather "peculiar" system, call it "ostrich policy"?

I believe even those bitter old fellows appreciate some benefits of living in Thailand, but then no one really cares. They also contribute, but again, no one really cares. Both sides are just as biased as they can be. I see that the criticism usually causes an uproar. BUT Why not listen instead? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, garrya said:

You answered the question. The system that works for Thai people ... 

That is the answer to why those bitter farangs bad-mouth. They do not understand this rather "peculiar" system, call it "ostrich policy"?

I believe even those bitter old fellows appreciate some benefits of living in Thailand, but then no one really cares. They also contribute, but again, no one really cares. Both sides are just as biased as they can be. I see that the criticism usually causes an uproar. BUT Why not listen instead? 

I agreed with everything you said , and gave you a like, but I am not sure I understood  the last sentence.

I don't think it is so much bias , which of course exists but realising our bias (as you seem to do) and putting it in the proper perspective. 

We all suffer from culture shock, not only in Thailand, My wife is in the US 10 years now and still has difficulty with some of the cultural practices there.I have a spunky. intelligent daughter from another marriage who is a bit of a  hippy and a bit of a slob, Studying to be a lawyer (3.8 CPA very proud:smile:)  You should see the fur fly, with me always in the middle getting the worst of it. .  My ex-wife lives close by, we still have an amicable friendly, relationship, we have a daughter together and talk about what's best for her often, care what happens to each other and try to help when we can. My Thai wife does not  like it at all.  

It is natural for Farangs in Thailand and it is natural for Thais in the West. The difference is how we react to it. 

We can certainly talk about it , but we can do it in objective, respectful terms. 

Like you did, and like the poster you were answering too did.  Not calling our hosts all short of pejorative terms I would not repeat.

Bottom line,This is my wife, my Mother in law, my father in law , our children they are talking about  :sad:

I am very protective of my family. Some litle <deleted> who could not get laid in the west with a Thousand dollar bill pasted on his forehead ,  comes over here  and bad mouth my family .............'nough said getting <deleted> off just thinking about it.

Edited by sirineou