Are Thais reacting to Farang negative attitudes?

sirineou

10 hours ago, geronimo said:

The average Thai lives for the moment and cares not what we think they think about us.

I have a very different opinion, but then i live in a tourists place.

My " average Thais" rub shoulders, so to speak, with foreigners on daily basis, so it's almost impossible for them not to have an opinion about the "average Foreigner".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

Thais are generally nice to you if spending money on their business ! Outside of that they do t give a .....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

on the contrary if your looking to spend it is where they are at their weirdest and most objectionable.

never goto the same fruit seller twice is my motto.

Edited by fhickson

19 hours ago, Mavideol said:

by going to a different country with a beach and without Thais 555

21 hours ago, geronimo said:

Find a deserted beach and Bob's your uncle!

sounds great. suggestions?

i need it to be as affordable as thailand, doable long term visa, access to necessities/food/good internet etc, single women, as few as possible other distractions.

let me know.

• Sad 1

I think , many foreigners who spend a lot of time abroad, start to feel, sooner or later, some kind of discomfort or even a threat. When there is a feeling of discomfort - there inevitably come more negative feelings of different kind. Whenever we feel not so happy (and we often do) - "those Thais" are usually coming to our minds as the main reason for us not being quite well. This same process also happens with somebody living in his native environment: we prefer to have a name for the source our misfortunes. Being a stranger amongst the strangers makes these kind of assumptions (projections) even more rational and right in our eyes. 

Edited by Zikomat
  • Confused 1

The vast majority of the disrespect I show toward Thai people, is shown toward the local franchisees (they refer to themselves as the RTP), virtually any level of government, and the army in particular. Otherwise, I like most Thai people. And I do believe that the army and the current administration are deeply despised by most Thai people, so criticism of them would not be taken personally. Most people I speak to feel that way. I have run into very few who approve of the army. Their standing in Thai society has fallen off the cliff, with the recent power grab. 

Generalizations made about Thai people in general might be taken personally. But, I think the average Thai is barely aware of our presence, unless they are in tourism, or live in an area with a large ex-pat population. 

On 10/22/2019 at 12:58 PM, fhickson said:

sounds great. suggestions?

i need it to be as affordable as thailand, doable long term visa, access to necessities/food/good internet etc, single women, as few as possible other distractions.

let me know.

Vietnam