Mum wants to sue doctor over apparent misdiagnosis

snoop1130

Mum wants to sue doctor over apparent misdiagnosis

By The Nation

800_c078e6f680971e7.jpg

A doctor at Udon Thani Hospital could face a multimillion-baht lawsuit over a possibly “reckless” misdiagnosis that cost a schoolteacher her job.

Wannaree Sanchad, mother of the teacher, whose name or age have not been publicised, said the Public Health Ministry had paid them Bt240,000 in compensation, but her daughter could no longer teach, a job for which she earned more than Bt20,000 a month.

Wannaree said she was considering suing the doctor for Bt10 million because she must now care for her daughter for life.

She met on Wednesday (October 9) with lawyer Ronnarong Kaewpetch, chairman of the Campaigning for Justice Network, and explained that her daughter sought treatment at Udon Thani Hospital in June last year for severe stomach ache.

The doctor, who also has not been named, diagnosed uterine cancer and performed an emergency operation to remove the uterus and obtain sample tissue for a cancer test. No sign of cancer was found.

Ronnarong advised that, if it could be proved the doctor acted recklessly, the family might receive more compensation.

Since they have insufficient funds for a court battle, he directed them to the Justice Fund of Thailand for legal aid, but said they must hurry since the statute of limitations on likely criminal charges would expire in two months.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377285

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-10

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

The doctor, who also has not been named, diagnosed uterine cancer and performed an emergency operation to remove the uterus and obtain sample tissue for a cancer test. No sign of cancer was found.

Doctor at an 'unnamed' Chiang Mai hospital decided my son had appendicitis after he had extreme stomach pains, they wanted to operate immediately.

I didn't think he had the right symptoms, and took him to NakornPing Hospital, where they decided he had constipation.

A shot of 'declogger' up the bum and he was right as rain.

The doctors here aren't all that good sometimes.

You need a second opinion before you let them cut bits of you out.

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

they must hurry since the statute of limitations on likely criminal charges would expire in two months.

So statute of limitations only lasts for just over a year ???,

I know they also have the same for murder,but its longer.

regards worgeordie

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The doctor, who also has not been named, diagnosed uterine cancer and performed an emergency operation to remove the uterus and obtain sample tissue for a cancer test.

How did the doctor initially diagnosed uterine cancer prior to the operation?

The article reads as if the doctor first removed the uterus, then had a biopsy on a sample tissue.

If that was the process, then malpractice and negligence contributing to permanent bodily harm likely occurred.

Removal of the uterus should have occurred only after the biopsy if cancer had been detected by a pathologist.

https://www.cancervic.org.au/cancer-information/types-of-cancer/uterine_cancer/diagnosing_uterine_cancer.html

There is no mention of any pathologist diagnosis prior to the operation!

It appears the doctor made a personal diagnosis based perhaps only on the woman's appearance and statements.

15 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I do not get this? There must be more they are not giving information about. Why would the mother need to care for the daughter all life, and why can´t the daughter teach anymore?

Yes.... I also read the article from the NATION and no other information there..... It makes me curious same as you..... WHY?????? has this poor lady been 'incapassitated' by that surgery so that she can't ever work again and the mother must care for her the rest of her life.....

Something more is missing and since they told us this much... I'd be curious to know the rest.....

29 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Yes.... I also read the article from the NATION and no other information there..... It makes me curious same as you..... WHY?????? has this poor lady been 'incapassitated' by that surgery so that she can't ever work again and the mother must care for her the rest of her life.....

Something more is missing and since they told us this much... I'd be curious to know the rest.....

They probably damaged her bladder (incontinence) or bowels (sepsis).

5 hours ago, justin case said:

if in thailand you get 1 year guarantee on stuff and problems start one day after

One year is better than a German "lifetime guarantee" – I once bought an expensive German machine with a huge strong steel spring, so I was sure it would last, even it had lifetime warranty – the spring broke, and when applying for replacement under the warranty, I was told that it was the "lifetime" for the spring...????

Back to subject, I agree in that there might be more to that story than told, to justify a 10 million baht compensation, and explain why the daughter cannot work anymore. However, some reasonable level of compensation would probably be fair, if it's a doctor's fault.

In Thairath (10/10/19) they said the daughter presented at the hospital in June last year with stomach pain, being unable to eat, constipation and vomiting.
Without a biopsy, the doctor diagnosed cancer and in his wisdom decided an emergency operation requiring removal of her uterus and ovaries was required.
After the operation the nerve to her anal sphincter was damaged and she was fitted with a colostomy bag. Her ureter was also damaged.
When results from a biopsy came back after the surgery, they were clear of cancer, so the operation was unnecessary.

49 minutes ago, katana said:

In Thairath (10/10/19) they said the daughter presented at the hospital in June last year with stomach pain, being unable to eat, constipation and vomiting.
Without a biopsy, the doctor diagnosed cancer and in his wisdom decided an emergency operation requiring removal of her uterus and ovaries was required.
After the operation the nerve to her anal sphincter was damaged and she was fitted with a colostomy bag. Her ureter was also damaged.
When results from a biopsy came back after the surgery, they were clear of cancer, so the operation was unnecessary.

On the  basis of that information  then a legal  recourse seems  justifiable.   Not only  due to  misdagnosis  but  for  surgical outcomes could be deemed  to be incompetence .

If proven I  hope the  lab rat  gets to  bite back !

18 hours ago, katana said:

If this is accurate information...... Then it sounds to me like this is one more example of Thailand's 30 Baht Hospital visit scheme..... Using 'under paid doctors' without proper 'Knowledge' to care for the 'POOR' Thai folks...... this happens too often in 'up-country' 'Issan' hospitals............

WHY??????................ This present 'Military Regime Government' using all of it's money for Army and Navy Purchases.... Submarines and Tanks, etc....... and not really caring for 'it's people' (especially the poor who they think are too stupid to 'SUE' The Hospital - and Gov't......)

To be honest I do not understand  your logic in blaming  politicians  as primary  cause for what appears to  be  incompetent  malpractice by a medical practioner.

Such incidents  occur  globally and the usual  fault is  the failure or lack of  professional peer reviews and oversight of especially surgical outcomes in both public and private hospitals.

At the  same time I do have some reservations about individual  rather than collective  general practioners in  small local  hospitals in rural Thailand even though I can concede that the copious  number of patients presented with on a  daily  basis would make it  difficult to invest more adequate assessment  time in a  medical evaluation.

Sadly there are many in rural Thailand who being in awe of  medical uniforms will address a  nursing assistant  as "Doctor"  so  chances they would  ever challenge a medical outcome  would  be unlikely.

That would place the problem more  accuratley in the  realm of  education than medical. In that I have witnessed the base origins  of  other issues !

Archived