Agent Assisted Retirement Visa vs Thai Elite Visa

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Phnom Penh is OK, I've been there a bunch of times. If I left Thailand that's where  I would go.

On the subject of the other people living there, why should I care who they are, where they come from or what they do?

Cambodia is not Thailand, and we are talking about a $12-20 a month difference. Theres no way in hell i would uproot myself for that. I am far from rich, but i can easily afford that, it's the cost of a mobile plan.

Edited by wallydebnar

5 hours ago, wallydebnar said:

Cambodia is not Thailand, and we are talking about a $12-20 a month difference. Theres no way in hell i would uproot myself for that. I am far from rich, but i can easily afford that, it's the cost of a mobile plan.

What are you talking about with $12-20 per month difference?

Have you ever been to Cambodia? Everything you might buy on a day to day basis is significantly cheaper over there than in Thailand.

Then think about the visa, for me that's the Thailand Elite visa which costs 100k Baht per year if you buy it in 5 year chunks.

The European food and wine is also much cheaper in Cambodia.

• Like 2

What are you talking about with $12-20 per month difference?

Have you ever been to Cambodia? Everything you might buy on a day to day basis is significantly cheaper over there than in Thailand.

Then think about the visa, for me that's the Thailand Elite visa which costs 100k Baht per year if you buy it in 5 year chunks.

The European food and wine is also much cheaper in Cambodia.

It seems to me that more people are relocating to Vietnam than Cambodia from LOS but accept maybe that’s different depending where your living/working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

There is no guarantee that the ‘agents’ will continue their ‘maybe illegal’ practices either.

Absolutely, but the 2 main ones have been at it 15 years and 29 years, albeit primarily obtaining UK Visas. Ever changing (more stringent) domestic requirements have made Thailand 'Visas' a substantial part of their business. 

It really is becoming appealing to pay up 15-20k each year rather than tie up 800k and go through their tiresome hoop dance each year. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2019 at 6:24 PM, onera1961 said:

What's the best solution in the near future.

As others have suggested the agent-assisted retirement route is probably the best option for you. Should health insurance be added to the retirement visa requirements at a later stage you may be grandfathered into the old scheme.

If health insurance becomes a requirement for your retirement visa, the agent may be able to handle that as well. If they can't, you could either stop with the agent and switch back to an O-A visa or pay for an Elite visa at the time (if it still exists).

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 6:14 AM, onera1961 said:

Most sensible comment so far. I was inclining towards agent. 

But how would that work for somebody who doesn't live in Bangkok or Pattaya area? I assume a local-to-the-agent residence must be "provided" by the agent. And then how would that be reconciled against the actual residence location for 90-day reports, TM-30, possible future visits to the real local immigration office, etc.?? I think agencies are problematic for the many folks who live outside those areas.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Carolina Reaper said:

But how would that work for somebody who doesn't live in Bangkok or Pattaya area? 

My knowledge is the agent handles all needs, and the 'somebody' need not go to immigration at all. 

My knowledge is the agent handles all needs, and the 'somebody' need not go to immigration at all. 

I think your likely to be right. All actions will have to be arranged ‘in house’ because Immigration offices that are presented with visa stamps that originate from other areas, usually ‘smell something fishy’ about them.

11 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Quick question: with the new requirements, do you not have to provide proof of 400k in you account throughout the year? How is that handled if you go the agent route?

Seasoning of funds before and after has been waived

2 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Can you expand on that a bit? Waived by whom, when? You say before and after has been waived, but what about the 400k during the entire period. Don't you have to provide proof of that?

Probably ask an agent but it’s doubtful they will give you details, it’s generally assumed the 800 is deposited in your account, no seasoning and no post approval check forthcoming, so 800 is withdrawn, at least that’s my understanding.

Probably ask an agent but it’s doubtful they will give you details, it’s generally assumed the 800 is deposited in your account, no seasoning and no post approval check forthcoming, so 800 is withdrawn, at least that’s my understanding.

Only last night I was talking to a mate who has a (legit) retirement extension and he has to provide bank statement & letter, every time he does a 90 day report.
This is seeming to get more difficult every year!

3 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Only last night I was talking to a mate who has a (legit) retirement extension and he has to provide bank statement & letter, every time he does a 90 day report.

Right. I'm not clear how agents can circumvent that requirement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Makes sense. But then it would seem impossible to break free of the agent because, on the next extension, the "post" seasoning from the last one will be seen as having been unsatisfied.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:05 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds a no brainer for you. An METV every time you head back home

Thai Embassy in US will not issue METV to retirees. Have to show proof of being employed or a full time student.

I did my 90day reporting in CM last week and nothing required other than passport. Where does your friend do his reporting?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, uncleeagle said:

what if elite visa holders above 50 are told they need to buy health insurance? things are changing very quickly, the changes seem driven by money and xenophobia, maybe an element of racism, not by logic and evidence. the elite visa may be riskier than people think.

I am weighing elite visa also, for myself as a contingency IF the insurance requirement ever gets extended to extensions of stay on O visa and definitely for an elderly relative who may need to come stay with me in the not too distant future.

I think if insurance is made a requirement for elite it would not be retroactive to already issued visas.

Also, it might well just come under tourist entries (as elite is considered a type of tourist visa) and that is very, very unlikely to involve purchase of a local policy, more likely a scheme whereby tourists are all charged a flat small fee on entry and govt sets up a fund.

If sure of intent to stay here for next 20 years and can afford it I think 20 year elite would be best option. Personally I would be wary of using Agent to circumvent requirements, no telling if or when that will be stopped and what sort of implications for people who used them. Also not yet clear if agents can help on the insurance front.

OP it is not clear that insurance would not be required if you do an extension of stay after entry under an O-A visit. Interpretations differ on that. One TV member contacted TI info line (1178) and was told that if it is a first extension of stay it will come under the insurance requirement. Others think this is incorrect.  You might like to ask your own Imm office and see what they understand to be the case.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Which office is that?

On 10/10/2019 at 7:25 PM, looking for LIFE insurance said:

If your goal is to avoid the hassle of TM30 & 90 Day check-ins you should clarify with TE.

I bought mine 20 years ago.  Lifetime, 1M BHT.

I have to do TM30 & 90 day check-ins.

The upside is from entering Immigration to getting into my car is 35 minutes.  Very fast today, but usually no more than 40 minutes in/out.

TE does not avoid need to file 90 day reports and TM30s. They can help do the 90 day but not the TM 30.

However depending on where you live both can be done online which is far easier than sending off your passport to TE office.

I would not focus on the reporting part.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:53 PM, onera1961 said:

METV requires bounces, timing the bounce, it is like a routine which I have avoided since 2016 and don't want to get into it. Now I am unfettered, unchained and want to live like that. Even two bounces with extension requires immigration office visits and it comes with the hassle of TM30, 90-day report, etc. Also, I have to get METV every year that requires applying every year etc. It reduces freedom to just book the ticket and go a suits me. O-A was ok for me as I needed to apply every two years and getting a reentry permit at the airport is super easy - just hand over the passport and 1200 BHT. Done after 15 min at most. 

I have ruled out METV. THe choice is between EV and agent assisted retirment visa without  keeping any money in the bank. If I have to keep 800K in the bank and forget it, I can as well spend another 200K and get 20-year EV and forget all the non-sense of yearly renewal, TM-30, 90-day reporting etc. And I am more certain of EV not requiring any insurance than retirement in the future. 

You cannot get an METV in the US unless you show proof of current employment. I looked into it.

BTW I just contacted the agent mentioned in this thread re possibly bringing my elderly relative here. They are saying they can arrange the extension if she can get an O visa from home country but (1) I think we could do that on our own also and (2) I don't think US will issue an O to a retiree only O-A.

So far no info from them re insurance aspect

1 hour ago, Carolina Reaper said:

Makes sense. But then it would seem impossible to break free of the agent because, on the next extension, the "post" seasoning from the last one will be seen as having been unsatisfied.

I used the term 'my knowledge' which on second thoughts is more realistically put as 'talking to a pal in that position!' I believe the person has little choice. 

Private hospital mark up is outrageous! I reckon the actual cost price for a 2 million baht bill is around 400k

if health insurance is passed on to extensions I will buy it and simply not pay if its over 400k , the hospital can get the shortfall from immigration!

1 minute ago, madmen said:

if health insurance is passed on to extensions I will buy it and simply not pay if its over 400k , the hospital can get the shortfall from immigration!

Well sometimes they try to keep your passport.....

What is your aim here, to increase the cover beyond 400k minimum?

I am early retired but over 50. Married to a Thai. Currently spend about 6 months of the year on ME Non-O (which is no longer available in UK).

We were planning to stay full time in Thailand from next year, but maybe postpone that and keep at 6 months.

My policy is always to invest as little as possible in Thailand. I really don't want to donate 800/400k THB to Thailand. Nor do I trust the conditions of the Elite visa to remain unchanged over the long term. So for my 6 months I'll keep 'playing by ear' maybe try ME Non-O from Laos next time and if that goes then VE and/or TV's. Won't be spending any serious money till I'm really forced to because things are too unstable.

Edited by HauptmannUK

3 hours ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Waived by whom, when?

The IO when the agent applies for your visa.

3 hours ago, Exploring Thailand said:

what about the 400k during the entire period. Don't you have to provide proof of that?

No. 

Edited by yodsak