BANGKOK
onera1961

Agent Assisted Retirement Visa vs Thai Elite Visa

Which office is that?

See post #55

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/10/2019 at 6:24 PM, onera1961 said:

don't think Elite will ever require to buy a health insurance as it is treated like a Tourist visa.

Don't count on it

• Like 1

Private hospital mark up is outrageous! I reckon the actual cost price for a 2 million baht bill is around 400k

if health insurance is passed on to extensions I will buy it and simply not pay if its over 400k , the hospital can get the shortfall from immigration!

1 minute ago, madmen said:

if health insurance is passed on to extensions I will buy it and simply not pay if its over 400k , the hospital can get the shortfall from immigration!

Well sometimes they try to keep your passport.....

What is your aim here, to increase the cover beyond 400k minimum?

I am early retired but over 50. Married to a Thai. Currently spend about 6 months of the year on ME Non-O (which is no longer available in UK).

We were planning to stay full time in Thailand from next year, but maybe postpone that and keep at 6 months.

My policy is always to invest as little as possible in Thailand. I really don't want to donate 800/400k THB to Thailand. Nor do I trust the conditions of the Elite visa to remain unchanged over the long term. So for my 6 months I'll keep 'playing by ear' maybe try ME Non-O from Laos next time and if that goes then VE and/or TV's. Won't be spending any serious money till I'm really forced to because things are too unstable.

Edited by HauptmannUK

3 hours ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Waived by whom, when?

The IO when the agent applies for your visa.

3 hours ago, Exploring Thailand said:

what about the 400k during the entire period. Don't you have to provide proof of that?

No. 

Edited by yodsak

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well sometimes they try to keep your passport.....

What is your aim here, to increase the cover beyond 400k minimum?

Report it lost. 3 million baht is minimum level of insurance needed IMO

1 minute ago, madmen said:

Report it lost. 3 million baht is minimum level of insurance needed IMO

Well actually they aren't allowed to do that, but you may have to engage a lawyer to persuade them so. Reporting it lost doesn't fit well with someone doing a runner from a big hospital bill! How much insurance one takes on board and the associated costs is very much personal to people's circumstances. 

25 minutes ago, yodsak said:

No. 

Looks like that might be office-dependent. See the post below.

3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Only last night I was talking to a mate who has a (legit) retirement extension and he has to provide bank statement & letter, every time he does a 90 day report.
This is seeming to get more difficult every year!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Looks like that might be office-dependent. See the post below.

Post below is a talking about a legit  DIY visa. Non agency.

14 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:
  3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Only last night I was talking to a mate who has a (legit) retirement extension and he has to provide bank statement & letter, every time he does a 90 day report.
This is seeming to get more difficult every year!

People with agency visas do not have to show 400k.  ...

If the IO can waive 800k  before and after then he can waive 400k. 

37 minutes ago, yodsak said:

ga

Post below is a talking about a legit  DIY visa. Non agency.

People with agency visas do not have to show 400k.  ...

If the IO can waive 800k  before and after then he can waive 400k. 

That was my initial question. Say, someone goes to the same office as Dilligad's friend. If he didn't use an agent, he has to provide evidence of the 400k at every 90-day report, if he did use an agent he doesn't have to provide the evidence. Is that what you're saying? So every IO in that office is treating agent and non-agent applications differently?

1 minute ago, Exploring Thailand said:

So every IO in that office is treating agent and non-agent applications differently?

Firstly, every I.O is not requiring that a person shows evidence he still has the money on deposit for every 90 day address reporting. Also not every I.O. in the country is familiar with agent obtained extensions. But a more general answer is yes, offices are treating agent and non-agent applications differently.

• Like 1

That was my initial question. Say, someone goes to the same office as Dilligad's friend. If he didn't use an agent, he has to provide evidence of the 400k at every 90-day report, if he did use an agent he doesn't have to provide the evidence. Is that what you're saying? So every IO in that office is treating agent and non-agent applications differently?

There are no ‘agents’ for 100’s of Km’s near that office (that I am aware of).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Firstly, every I.O is not requiring that a person shows evidence he still has the money on deposit for every 90 day address reporting. Also not every I.O. in the country is familiar with agent obtained extensions. But a more general answer is yes, offices are treating agent and non-agent applications differently.

That just seems so brazen. At the 90-day report how do they know it was initially an agent who provided the extension?  Regardless of how they know, it's difficult to believe they would so openly discriminate between agent- and non-agent extensions regarding the required supporting documents.

That just seems so brazen. At the 90-day report how do they know it was initially an agent who provided the extension?  Regardless of how they know, it's difficult to believe they would so openly discriminate between agent- and non-agent extensions regarding the required supporting documents.

Although I’ve not been in the situation as described, I’d have thought that this is why agents also HAVE to do the 90day report service themselves. They then use the same corrupt official who arranged the visa AND get more money for the additional work.