Agent Assisted Retirement Visa vs Thai Elite Visa

1 minute ago, madmen said:

Report it lost. 3 million baht is minimum level of insurance needed IMO

Well actually they aren't allowed to do that, but you may have to engage a lawyer to persuade them so. Reporting it lost doesn't fit well with someone doing a runner from a big hospital bill! How much insurance one takes on board and the associated costs is very much personal to people's circumstances. 

25 minutes ago, yodsak said:

No. 

Looks like that might be office-dependent. See the post below.

3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Only last night I was talking to a mate who has a (legit) retirement extension and he has to provide bank statement & letter, every time he does a 90 day report.
This is seeming to get more difficult every year!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Looks like that might be office-dependent. See the post below.

Post below is a talking about a legit  DIY visa. Non agency.

14 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:
  3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Only last night I was talking to a mate who has a (legit) retirement extension and he has to provide bank statement & letter, every time he does a 90 day report.
This is seeming to get more difficult every year!

People with agency visas do not have to show 400k.  ...

If the IO can waive 800k  before and after then he can waive 400k. 

37 minutes ago, yodsak said:

ga

Post below is a talking about a legit  DIY visa. Non agency.

People with agency visas do not have to show 400k.  ...

If the IO can waive 800k  before and after then he can waive 400k. 

That was my initial question. Say, someone goes to the same office as Dilligad's friend. If he didn't use an agent, he has to provide evidence of the 400k at every 90-day report, if he did use an agent he doesn't have to provide the evidence. Is that what you're saying? So every IO in that office is treating agent and non-agent applications differently?

1 minute ago, Exploring Thailand said:

So every IO in that office is treating agent and non-agent applications differently?

Firstly, every I.O is not requiring that a person shows evidence he still has the money on deposit for every 90 day address reporting. Also not every I.O. in the country is familiar with agent obtained extensions. But a more general answer is yes, offices are treating agent and non-agent applications differently.

• Like 1

That was my initial question. Say, someone goes to the same office as Dilligad's friend. If he didn't use an agent, he has to provide evidence of the 400k at every 90-day report, if he did use an agent he doesn't have to provide the evidence. Is that what you're saying? So every IO in that office is treating agent and non-agent applications differently?

There are no ‘agents’ for 100’s of Km’s near that office (that I am aware of).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Firstly, every I.O is not requiring that a person shows evidence he still has the money on deposit for every 90 day address reporting. Also not every I.O. in the country is familiar with agent obtained extensions. But a more general answer is yes, offices are treating agent and non-agent applications differently.

That just seems so brazen. At the 90-day report how do they know it was initially an agent who provided the extension?  Regardless of how they know, it's difficult to believe they would so openly discriminate between agent- and non-agent extensions regarding the required supporting documents.

That just seems so brazen. At the 90-day report how do they know it was initially an agent who provided the extension?  Regardless of how they know, it's difficult to believe they would so openly discriminate between agent- and non-agent extensions regarding the required supporting documents.

Although I’ve not been in the situation as described, I’d have thought that this is why agents also HAVE to do the 90day report service themselves. They then use the same corrupt official who arranged the visa AND get more money for the additional work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, DILLIGAD said:

Although I’ve not been in the situation as described, I’d have thought that this is why agnts also HAVE to do the 90day report service themselves. They then use the same corrupt official who arranged the visa AND get more money for the additional work.

Thanks. I didn't realize that the agents have to do the 90-day. That makes things a lot clearer.

If 1m baht for elite visa is about 6% of your net worth, your net worth is less than $600k. It's quite a lot but how do you manage to spend time in Spain and the US in addition to living in Thailand most of the year? I'm not saying it's impossible , just curious because normally a person needs more money to afford this kind of lifestyle.

What kind of medical insurance coverage do you have that includes overseas coverage? Is it an ACA (obamacare) plan with united health care? How much do you pay for it out of pocket?

About your question, I would just get the elite visa if I were you. I'm considering getting it for myself if I decide to stay in Thailand long term.

A friend went in for marriage extension with just under the 65,000 a month coming in. They took him into the head IO’s office who proceeded to tell him he could have a retirement extension for 15,000 baht. Returned the next day and had his wife plead little money and was told 12,000 baht is okay. He didn’t want to play their game, but his wife said, “Easier this way.” So he did it at a cost of 1,000 baht a month for the year. All handled smoothly and quickly without 800,000 baht in the bank. He said the senior IO proceeded to explain where the money went.....lunch for the staff, payoff to boss from BKK, and I guess the rest in their pocket. TIT. This could be a way for this fellow to handle it all without an agent. Full service in house, and probably available all over the country.

39 minutes ago, Mansell said:

A friend went in for marriage extension with just under the 65,000 a month coming in. They took him into the head IO’s office who proceeded to tell him he could have a retirement extension for 15,000 baht. Returned the next day and had his wife plead little money and was told 12,000 baht is okay. He didn’t want to play their game, but his wife said, “Easier this way.” So he did it at a cost of 1,000 baht a month for the year. All handled smoothly and quickly without 800,000 baht in the bank. He said the senior IO proceeded to explain where the money went.....lunch for the staff, payoff to boss from BKK, and I guess the rest in their pocket. TIT. This could be a way for this fellow to handle it all without an agent. Full service in house, and probably available all over the country.

I think your friend is telling porkies about the Bht. 65,000/800,000 for marriage extension. Good try though!

https://immigrationbangkok.com/thai-marriage-visa/

• You must give proof that you have at least 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account in your name, and that it has been there for at least 2 months).
  • Or, you must prove that you have a monthly income or pension of at least 40,000 baht per month (this can be done though an affidavit from your foreign embassy or.
  • Or, have a combination of the money cleared in a Thai bank and an annual pension totaling at least 400,000 baht.

10 hours ago, uzynkotak said:

If 1m baht for elite visa is about 6% of your net worth, your net worth is less than $600k. It's quite a lot but how do you manage to spend time in Spain and the US in addition to living in Thailand most of the year? I'm not saying it's impossible , just curious because normally a person needs more money to afford this kind of lifestyle.

What kind of medical insurance coverage do you have that includes overseas coverage? Is it an ACA (obamacare) plan with united health care? How much do you pay for it out of pocket?

I have a one bedroom apartment in Benidorm rented on AirBnb through an AirBnb management company. I also have a 2-bed 2-bath house in Las Vegas rented on AirBnb through a management company.  My expenses are 30-35K USD/annum. I have airbnb income and passive incomes from investment. I also have a 400/500 dollar/month passive income from a website. I live comfortably without any financial problem or worry.

I have a catastrophic insurance with an HSA (Health Savings Account). All ACA compliant insurances have  no limits after you hit out of pocket expenses. HSA has a master card where I have accumulated close to 15K in the last five years before  when I was working for microsoft (pre tax). The oversees coverage is only for emergency visits. Catastrophic insurance has high out pocket expense and for me it's $7600. That means for the first $7600, I must pay from out of pocket which I can pay using my HSA master card. The card can only be used for medical expenses. For example, if I want to buy a flight ticket using the card, it will be rejected. After 65, I should be able to use it for anything. The card was accepted in Bangkok Hospital (70K BHT for blood in urine) and in Amsterdam (3K Euro for chest pain after smoking weed). My two yearly doctor's visits in the USA cost $320 ($160x2) for primary doctors paid using the card. Once a year, a complete lab and physical is available for free as mandated in ACA. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

Or, have a combination of the money cleared in a Thai bank and an annual pension totaling at least 400,000 baht.

That is not allowed for a extension of stay based upon marriage or being the parent of a Thai.

A average income of 40k baht for a year is allowed for them but no combination is allowed.

9 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

I think your friend is telling porkies about the Bht. 65,000/800,000 for marriage extension. Good try though!

https://immigrationbangkok.com/thai-marriage-visa/

He clearly wrote he went to immigration to apply for an extension based upon marriage with less that 65k baht income. No mention of a need the income or money in the bank you did. Immigration offered a deal to it based on retirement and he took the bait.

Also that is not a official immigration website and has a bunch incorrect info on it.

This is the only official immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/index

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thai Embassy in US will not issue METV to retirees. Have to show proof of being employed or a full time student.

A retiree can get a METV at Los Angeles. You simply put RETIRED on the visa application and provide proof you have the required US$7000 in the bank. I did it last week and last year.

8 minutes ago, RockyMtnJay said:

A retiree can get a METV at Los Angeles. You simply put RETIRED on the visa application and provide proof you have the required US$7000 in the bank. I did it last week and last year.

Good to know as not indicated on their website. Thanks.

36 minutes ago, RockyMtnJay said:

Yup, and an ME Non-Imm O to "visit Thai spouse" needs evidence of only USD 700.00. Apparently the spouse is valued at USD 6300.00.

Also, on a more serious note, the 700.00 does not have to be shown as having remained in the bank for any number of months (as opposed to having to show the 7000.00+ balance sustained over 6 months). Just a point-in-time recent bank statement.

Edited by Carolina Reaper
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

He clearly wrote he went to immigration to apply for an extension based upon marriage with less that 65k baht income. No mention of a need the income or money in the bank you did. Immigration offered a deal to it based on retirement and he took the bait.

Also that is not a official immigration website and has a bunch incorrect info on it.

This is the only official immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/index

Let's play semantics then. Your mate is telling porky pies!

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_18

(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less
than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht
400,000 to cover expenses for one year.
For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau
is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis.
(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in
Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

14 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_18

(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less
than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht
400,000 to cover expenses for one year.
For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau
is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis.
(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in
Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

I can't say for sure that what Mansell related -- nor what his friend apparently experienced and passed on to Mansell -- is reality.

But I can explain to you what Mansell said by taking the liberty of clarifying his wording slightly... I'd thought that Ubon Joe already had clarified that sufficiently, though.

"A friend went to Immigration to do a marriage extension. He had plenty of monthly income to meet that requirement. He was instead offered a retirement extension even though he didn't quite have the full THB 65,000 to meet the retirement extension financial requirement. Although a marriage extension is not rocket science, it does take more steps than a retirement extension, and paperwork must be sent to BKK for final approval. Retirement extension is easier, his wife said. So they made a deal...."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

Not sure what you are on about. He wrote this in his post.

12 hours ago, Mansell said:

A friend went in for marriage extension with just under the 65,000 a month coming in.

Not sure why  you are quoting the requirements on the immigration website.

He showed well more than the minimum 40k baht income required.

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you are on about. He wrote this in his post.

Not sure why  you are quoting the requirements on the immigration website.

He showed well more than the minimum 40k baht income required.

Fair enough @ubonjoe; I missed your previous responses and @Carolina Reaper explantions, and the bit about being offered a retirement extension. 

Why would they offer him a retirement extension when he went to do one based on marriage.

Apologies to all involved for any angst caused.

Edited by UncleMhee

27 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

Why would they offer him a retirement extension when he went to do one based on marriage.

Because they prefer them over extension based upon marriage. And in this case they saw a chance to get some money put in their pockets.

I often suggest to people applying for an extension based upon marriage to never show enough financial proof for retirement it they are 50 or over since immigration will push them do it on retirement. i can recall immigration doing at least one for retirement without telling them it was done for retirement.