Ford Ranger 3.2l Service

My Ranger is now 4 years old, I’ve had it serviced by Ford and only had a few warranty issues, tyres and a battery change, I’m on 120KM and was wondering if anyone has had experience of any potential upcoming issues, I was thinking about it’s timing chain and brakes, any experiences with costs would be good.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What where the warranty issues?

I had timing and seat cover issues. Others have had similar and more'

Battery is warrantied for 1 year. Tires simply aren't covered at all.

Localised dealers may help you out though as a (future) sales promotion.

Generally I consider any associated area to that requiring the attention of a Thai to be a potential problem and I don't restrict that consideration to autos. 

27 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Timing chain would be a service item if needed.......... what does the service schedule mention in the book ?

It's a belt. Not a chain.

It could be interpreted that the enquiry is about potential failures of a 4 year old truck. Not service periodicity defined by the handbook.

Service periodicity does not preclude systemic failures which aren't foreseen at design ratification. Although it can be updated as a result of empirical 'in service' data.

11 hours ago, alacrity said:

It's a belt. Not a chain.

It could be interpreted that the enquiry is about potential failures of a 4 year old truck. Not service periodicity defined by the handbook.

Service periodicity does not preclude systemic failures which aren't foreseen at design ratification. Although it can be updated as a result of empirical 'in service' data.

It has a chain and should survive for ever, but if one hears a rattle on start up (oil pressure tensioned) then change it. 

On 10/12/2019 at 11:50 AM, transam said:

It has a chain and should survive for ever, but if one hears a rattle on start up (oil pressure tensioned) then change it. 

Some timing Chains and their tensions don't last for ever, as shown by BMW

9 minutes ago, Jitar said:

True, if it plays the tambourine, investigate.... ????

For chains to fail is down to the engineering. Back in the V8 muscle car era there was nothing fancy, double row chains and that was it, though a couple of exceptions. If a chain started rattling you changed it..

Even way back with the mini, it was single row, but the S had a double row to stop stretching...

On 10/12/2019 at 2:08 AM, transam said:

Why...?

Toyota advises to change the 3.0lt belt at 150,000Km....

Some manufacturers are as frequently as every 60,000km. I certainly wouldn't wait until 150k for a belt change.

4 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Some manufacturers are as frequently as every 60,000km. I certainly wouldn't wait until 150k for a belt change.

If Toyota states change at 150,000km I reckon it is safe to 250,000km...Toyota will not skimp on possible failure advice...

On 10/13/2019 at 3:45 PM, Jitar said:

the plastic guides wear out thus causing chain slap and eventual fail.... the chain in theory will last forever if this did not happen.

On 10/12/2019 at 8:20 AM, transam said:

AFAIK the 3.2 is not an oil pressure tensioner, neither is the 2.2..... both are single use sprung tensioners that you destroy toremove/replace.

WRT to the OP, outwith not stating what his actual mileage is, I reckon there's really nothing special to worry about on the 'PX' Ranger. I am a member of several Ranger forums and even the tradies and bushwackers that really use and abuse their Rangers down in Australia haven't come up with anything that needs extra attention.

The only thing outwith the recall work and regular servicing during my +100k km in the same vehicle as the OP was the battery (a common issue on PX Rangers, not so much now), the engine/gearbox oil seal replacement (warranty) and a split front cv boot seal which I drew to their attention which was replaced (under warranty) at the next service.

https://www.ford.co.th/content/dam/Ford/website-assets/ap/th/home/en_price_pdf/p375ica-205/P375ICA_New Ranger (2015)_Menu Pricing_5 Free labor_as of Jan2017 - 3.2L 4x4 AT.pdf

On 10/12/2019 at 8:20 AM, transam said:

Reliant on the colored links to reference timing. With not a TDC marking to be seen.

Had many more problems with chains than belts over the years.

WRT to the OP, outwith not stating what his actual mileage is, I reckon there's really nothing special to worry about on the 'PX' Ranger. I am a member of several Ranger forums and even the tradies and bushwackers that really use and abuse their Rangers down in Australia haven't come up with anything that needs extra attention.

The only thing outwith the recall work and regular servicing during my +100k km in the same vehicle as the OP was the battery (a common issue on PX Rangers, not so much now), the engine/gearbox oil seal replacement (warranty) and a split front cv boot seal which I drew to their attention which was replaced (under warranty) at the next service.

https://www.ford.co.th/content/dam/Ford/website-assets/ap/th/home/en_price_pdf/p375ica-205/P375ICA_New Ranger (2015)_Menu Pricing_5 Free labor_as of Jan2017 - 3.2L 4x4 AT.pdf

Thanks, I’ve changed the battery and had the oil seal replaced under warranty, plus seat covers. Not had the CV seal cover (yet)

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived