Is The River too far out to live?

NewbieInBangkok

35 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Thanks.

So the station is not going to be closed in the foreseeable future and, if it is removed, it will be replaced by a new, better one. 

Not much of a problem for the OP, then, I'd guess.

well a two year closure might be an issue, if and when it happens!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in that area of "The River". I like it here much more and never would consider to change location to the Sukhumvit area. But I think this depends what you want. I travel 2 times per week to the Ploenchit Area with the BTS, which takes about 30-40 minutes from door to door. And that is fine.

The only downside in the Area on of "The River" is when you go out with the car you have to cross the Taksin Bridge and there are traffic jams a lot of the time. But even this is mostly done in about 5-10 minutes. Today I drove the car at around 11 clock in less than 25 minutes to Ploenchit. But anyway I would not recommend to drive regularly into Bangkok traffic. As the BTS is in my opinion the much better option. 

For me, it was important, that I have a good view and a nice pool, which is on the top floor of the building and some other facilities which I enjoy.

Most foreigner are staying in the Sukhumvit area and I think this will not change that fast, if ever. But on the other side, maybe this is exactly the good part of this location, that here now are maybe 5-10% foreigners and the rest are Thais. In the future I think the area around "The River" also will become more and more desirable for foreigners. I remember a Time, when I was almost the only foreigner walking around here. And now (also because of the opening of IconSiam) you can see foreigners all the time.

8 hours ago, NewbieInBangkok said:

I see.  I’ve always lived in countries where Google Maps was incredibly accurate so I guess I’ll just use it as a guide in Thailand but factor in worst case scenarios.  

And Thong Lor - Phrom Phong seems to be where husband would rather stay if he can’t live at the Riverside.  If he can’t get the lifestyle then at least he wants to be close to where everyone else he knows is living.

Thank you.

When I was first in BKK, I stayed in a serviced apartment on Sathorn Soi 11.  While the neighborhood is somewhat upscale, it’s also quite sterile.  Move towards Silom and you’re in another sleazy area with Patpong nearby.  

Phrom Phong is a red light district as far as I’m concerned.  Not that I have any sort of issue with it, but I certainly wouldn’t want to live there.  By all means, make Emquartier your shopping, movies, groceries and dining outlet...just don’t waste the money living there.

Thonglor gets you out of the sleaze...but when you see it, if you’re like me, you’ll wonder exactly “why is it so expensive?” All I can think of is the name.  It’s not like it’s Beverly Hills...in fact, it has much of the same hodgepodge eclectic Thai style...(well...you’ll see) as most anywhere else.  It’s just not worth it.

2-3 more minutes by BTS and you have Ekkami.  Plenty close for your husband to see his friends, next to the driving range and while still somewhat posh, you get more bang for your buck rentalwise.  You can also head to the W District area and check out the few condos around there at Line, Le Luk and Sky Walk.  Don’t waste your time with the other condos in the immediate area as while they are nice, I think most don’t have the square footage you’re looking for.  Also, in between Line, Le Luk and Skywalk condos is the W District which has a great selection of affordable restaurant stalls with all kinds of different international cuisine (Greek, Sushi, Oyster Bar, Jamaican, French....you name it...all centered by an open aired treed courtyard eating area with some interesting art installations scattered around (it’s an artsy area).

One thing I recommend, is to sacrifice square footage when necessary and shoot for a high floor view unit.  Plenty out there for rent.  I’m in a penthouse unit myself and absolutely love the 180 degree dystopian Blade Runneresque view at night.  

3 hours ago, HampiK said:

I live in that area of "The River". I like it here much more and never would consider to change location to the Sukhumvit area. But I think this depends what you want. I travel 2 times per week to the Ploenchit Area with the BTS, which takes about 30-40 minutes from door to door. And that is fine.

The only downside in the Area on of "The River" is when you go out with the car you have to cross the Taksin Bridge and there are traffic jams a lot of the time. But even this is mostly done in about 5-10 minutes. Today I drove the car at around 11 clock in less than 25 minutes to Ploenchit. But anyway I would not recommend to drive regularly into Bangkok traffic. As the BTS is in my opinion the much better option. 

For me, it was important, that I have a good view and a nice pool, which is on the top floor of the building and some other facilities which I enjoy.

Most foreigner are staying in the Sukhumvit area and I think this will not change that fast, if ever. But on the other side, maybe this is exactly the good part of this location, that here now are maybe 5-10% foreigners and the rest are Thais. In the future I think the area around "The River" also will become more and more desirable for foreigners. I remember a Time, when I was almost the only foreigner walking around here. And now (also because of the opening of IconSiam) you can see foreigners all the time.

Yes, the riverside would be our #1 pick but sadly it’s just too far from my husband’s work so we have decided to eliminate it from our choices.

But thank you for your info ????

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

When I was first in BKK, I stayed in a serviced apartment on Sathorn Soi 11.  While the neighborhood is somewhat upscale, it’s also quite sterile.  Move towards Silom and you’re in another sleazy area with Patpong nearby.  

Phrom Phong is a red light district as far as I’m concerned.  Not that I have any sort of issue with it, but I certainly wouldn’t want to live there.  By all means, make Emquartier your shopping, movies, groceries and dining outlet...just don’t waste the money living there.

Thonglor gets you out of the sleaze...but when you see it, if you’re like me, you’ll wonder exactly “why is it so expensive?” All I can think of is the name.  It’s not like it’s Beverly Hills...in fact, it has much of the same hodgepodge eclectic Thai style...(well...you’ll see) as most anywhere else.  It’s just not worth it.

2-3 more minutes by BTS and you have Ekkami.  Plenty close for your husband to see his friends, next to the driving range and while still somewhat posh, you get more bang for your buck rentalwise.  You can also head to the W District area and check out the few condos around there at Line, Le Luk and Sky Walk.  Don’t waste your time with the other condos in the immediate area as while they are nice, I think most don’t have the square footage you’re looking for.  Also, in between Line, Le Luk and Skywalk condos is the W District which has a great selection of affordable restaurant stalls with all kinds of different international cuisine (Greek, Sushi, Oyster Bar, Jamaican, French....you name it...all centered by an open aired treed courtyard eating area with some interesting art installations scattered around (it’s an artsy area).

One thing I recommend, is to sacrifice square footage when necessary and shoot for a high floor view unit.  Plenty out there for rent.  I’m in a penthouse unit myself and absolutely love the 180 degree dystopian Blade Runneresque view at night.  

We were only considering the upper PP area but I hear ya.  A while ago I thought I had found a lovely place (Kraam) But then I did a google earth walk down the road to the BTS and found a whole bunch of naughty massage parlours so that put paid to that street ????

I’m already wondering why all these boxes of apartments are sooo expensive ????. But furnishings, cleanliness and convenience are more important to us than space and more bedrooms.  We have lived in smaller and generally when we are abroad we live a much more minimalistic life so all we really need to bring are our clothes, golf clubs and my art table, shelves and easels.

whilst the cost of Thonglor might not be worth it (it definitely isn’t), it’s paid for by the company so the actual cost is irrelevant unless we go over budget and add more ourselves - which we won’t do as 100k should be plenty to find something we can be comfortable in for a few years.  It’s not like it’s a forever home.

The W district  you mention sounds great (yes, I had to google it ????) but there are no condos or apartments on the list that far down and even Ekkamai only has a few - the nicest of which is The Loft.

i think all things considered from some very valuable advice from all of you folks, is that we should live in upper Thong Lor.  It seems convenient to get to the highway and has a lot of restaurants and shops nearby.  If I need to catch the train on rainy days then I’ll just take a taxi and deal with the traffic to the BTS.  It’s not a matter of the right address but simply something that ticks most of the boxes with the access to the highway being #1 priority.

These are some of the condos on our list and within budget;

HQ Thonglor

Quattro by Sansiri

The Ivy Thonglor

maybe some others will appear nearer the time.

Yes the square footage is small but that’s the compromise we have to make.

We would like a high rise as we currently live on the 31st floor and love that and if we can’t have a view of the river then we’d like a nice view of the city and being higher than than mosquitoes is a bonus too.

Thank you for your info....it’s helped a lot.

I will definitely be checking out the W district ????

30 minutes ago, NewbieInBangkok said:

We were only considering the upper PP area but I hear ya.  A while ago I thought I had found a lovely place (Kraam) But then I did a google earth walk down the road to the BTS and found a whole bunch of naughty massage parlours so that put paid to that street ????

I’m already wondering why all these boxes of apartments are sooo expensive ????. But furnishings, cleanliness and convenience are more important to us than space and more bedrooms.  We have lived in smaller and generally when we are abroad we live a much more minimalistic life so all we really need to bring are our clothes, golf clubs and my art table, shelves and easels.

whilst the cost of Thonglor might not be worth it (it definitely isn’t), it’s paid for by the company so the actual cost is irrelevant unless we go over budget and add more ourselves - which we won’t do as 100k should be plenty to find something we can be comfortable in for a few years.  It’s not like it’s a forever home.

The W district  you mention sounds great (yes, I had to google it ????) but there are no condos or apartments on the list that far down and even Ekkamai only has a few - the nicest of which is The Loft.

i think all things considered from some very valuable advice from all of you folks, is that we should live in upper Thong Lor.  It seems convenient to get to the highway and has a lot of restaurants and shops nearby.  If I need to catch the train on rainy days then I’ll just take a taxi and deal with the traffic to the BTS.  It’s not a matter of the right address but simply something that ticks most of the boxes with the access to the highway being #1 priority.

These are some of the condos on our list and within budget;

HQ Thonglor

Quattro by Sansiri

The Ivy Thonglor

maybe some others will appear nearer the time.

Yes the square footage is small but that’s the compromise we have to make.

We would like a high rise as we currently live on the 31st floor and love that and if we can’t have a view of the river then we’d like a nice view of the city and being higher than than mosquitoes is a bonus too.

Thank you for your info....it’s helped a lot.

I will definitely be checking out the W district ????

You think like me.  I’m an art “hobbyist” myself.  Just getting back into it after many years.

Anyhow, it’s too bad that the company doesn’t give you 100k and let you pocket the rest.  

Myself, being a bit eccentric, would probably approach my boss and say something like.  “Look...BKK is a concrete jungle and if I can’t get out of there on a regular basis, I’ll go crazy.  How about I rent a 70k unit in Bangkok and a 20k 1br in Hua Hin (2 hours away) so I can unwind on weekends.  Saves you (the company) 10k a month and also saves my sanity (add whatever else necessary )”

I can let you know what looks pretty good in HH too.  ????

9 minutes ago, NewbieInBangkok said:

Actually all 3 of those places (Sky Walk, The Line and Le Luk) look lovely so I will keep and eye out for them to see if they make an appearance on the list the company offers us. ????

Both Le Luk and Skywalk will have river views up high.  The only issue is that it gets the afternoon/evening sun so your power bills can be pretty high.  I’d look for something on a high floor of Skywalk, looking over Wyne Condo towards the port/refinery/Onnut myself.

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

You think like me.  I’m an art “hobbyist” myself.  Just getting back into it after many years.

Anyhow, it’s too bad that the company doesn’t give you 100k and let you pocket the rest.  

Myself, being a bit eccentric, would probably approach my boss and say something like.  “Look...BKK is a concrete jungle and if I can’t get out of there on a regular basis, I’ll go crazy.  How about I rent a 70k unit in Bangkok and a 20k 1br in Hua Hin (2 hours away) so I can unwind on weekends.  Saves you (the company) 10k a month and also saves my sanity (add whatever else necessary )”

Incan let you know what looks pretty good in HH too.  ????

You definitely think like me - I thought the same about getting 2 places for the 100k ???? but sadly it’s a big corporation with very fixed expat packages and terms so we just need to do things according to the system they have in place.

We might think of getting a wee 1 bed somewhere like HH for weekends ourselves but for the first few months or so we will need to see how much company golf is played and also we’d like to explore as much of the country and surrounding countries as possible.  Sadly in Thailand the work calendar seems a lot heavier with fewer days off.  In all the other countries he’s had plenty of extra long weekends and long summer and winter holidays but not in Thailand ????

2 minutes ago, NewbieInBangkok said:

You definitely think like me - I thought the same about getting 2 places for the 100k ???? but sadly it’s a big corporation with very fixed expat packages and terms so we just need to do things according to the system they have in place.

I know how the corporate machine works.  Bummer.  Definitely get the hell out of BKK on a regular basis.  So much to see in Thailand and to be honest, as much as I am thriving on the dystopian vision of what our future cities will look like (complete with the soma smiles) I think that BKK is really a less than desirable place to live for the ฿ spent.  Hotels in many exotic areas can be quite inexpensive and being in BKK, Airasia can whisk you around the country for next to nothing.

Hint...skip Pai.  Fly into Maehongson and rent motorbikes and explore.

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

I know how the corporate machine works.  Bummer.  Definitely get the hell out of BKK on a regular basis.  So much to see in Thailand and to be honest, as much as I am thriving on the dystopian vision of what our future cities will look like (complete with the soma smiles) I think that BKK is really a less than desirable place to live for the ฿ spent.  Hotels in many exotic areas can be quite inexpensive and being in BKK, Airasia can whisk you around the country for next to nothing.

Hint...skip Pai.  Fly into Maehongson and rent motorbikes and explore.

Skip Pai?  Sorry...what’s Pai? ????

21 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Big mistake trusting Google Maps for your commute times!

Well it has always been unnervingly accurate in any other country I’ve lived in.  But I asked here since I know nothing about Bangkok and I got answers and readjusted my plans.  

How else am I supposed to gauge transport times from thousands of miles away?????‍♀️

15 hours ago, NewbieInBangkok said:

Well it has always been unnervingly accurate in any other country I’ve lived in.  But I asked here since I know nothing about Bangkok and I got answers and readjusted my plans.  

How else am I supposed to gauge transport times from thousands of miles away?????‍♀️

Ask people that have actually lived in that area and commuted. That is how. 

How many cities have you lived in that were built for 1,000,000 cars and have over 14,000,000 cars? 

Now throw in heavy rainfall that floods the streets during monsoon season, road construction, police checkpoints, getting to work and returning from work traffic, and you have an educated answer Google cannot give you.

Bangkok is at the top of the most congested traffic in the world.

Do a search on Google for 2019 Bangkok Traffic. 

13 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Ask people that have actually lived in that area and commuted. That is how. 

How many cities have you lived in that were built for 1,000,000 cars and have over 14,000,000 cars? 

Now throw in heavy rainfall that floods the streets during monsoon season, road construction, police checkpoints, getting to work and returning from work traffic, and you have an educated answer Google cannot give you.

Bangkok is at the top of the most congested traffic in the world.

Do a search on Google for 2019 Bangkok Traffic. 

That’s exactly what I’m doing in this forum!  Asking people who know and actually live in the city. And I took their advice and adjusted my plans.

I’m not sure why you have to come into this with such a condescending attitude towards me.

18 hours ago, NewbieInBangkok said:

That’s exactly what I’m doing in this forum!  Asking people who know and actually live in the city. And I took their advice and adjusted my plans.

I’m not sure why you have to come into this with such a condescending attitude towards me.

Your name is Newbie in Bangkok.

As a Newbie, you can go on believing Google maps all you want or you can pay attention and learn something valuable.

It is not about your personally, this is about you think because Google works in other cities it has all the answers for Bangkok?

Did you know that in less than one hour Bangkok streets can fill up with over a foot+ or 2'+ of rain? Any idea what that does when you are trying to commute home?

Those answers you are not going to find on Google maps sorry.

Look up 2019 Bangkok traffic photos and then you will understand and see what Google is not telling you? Miles of cars stuck bumper to bumper, every single day.

And traffic during school hours?

Horrid

And getting out of the city to play golf and return home?

Good luck!

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Your name is Newbie in Bangkok.

As a Newbie, you can go on believing Google maps all you want or you can pay attention and learn something valuable.

It is not about your personally, this is about you think because Google works in other cities it has all the answers for Bangkok?

Did you know that in less than one hour Bangkok streets can fill up with over a foot+ or 2'+ of rain? Any idea what that does when you are trying to commute home?

Those answers you are not going to find on Google maps sorry.

Look up 2019 Bangkok traffic photos and then you will understand and see what Google is not telling you? Miles of cars stuck bumper to bumper, every single day.

And traffic during school hours?

Horrid

And getting out of the city to play golf and return home?

Good luck!

I have blinkin well listened to the advice given!!!

I only had google maps to go off of before I posted in here.  It was a starting point!  Then I listened to the advice given by all of the other people in this thread (and they were very nice about it too) and readjusted my plans. 

I came here because I didn’t know.

I asked.

I got advice.

I changed my search area.

So what part of that makes you believe I’m still choosing google maps over what everyone has said? 

????‍♀️

Some nice houses far end of many of the sois from Phrom Phong to Thong Lor. Not sure of the prices Most have 7 baht buses running up and down them. Maybe not the most stylish way to travel, plenty of taxis as well. Condo living is OK if you're used to it, but a house is far better.

To the OP - Can you give "us" a rough idea of location of your husband's work? (on Google Maps?)

I live at The River and love it here.

BUT that is because my wife works a 5 minute walk away at ICONSIAM.

I would always say live as close as possible to your place of work. Travelling 3 hours a day will wear very thin, very quickly.

Traffic can be a nightmare - however, if you husband doesn't mind getting up and leaving early you can easily miss it. (Seems Thais wouldn't dream of arriving an hour before they get paid!) ????

My wife owns a house near the Airport and it is great out there too! A lot more real. Airport Link is fantastic although it does get very busy.

On Monday (which was a public holiday - it took us 25 minutes in a taxi to get to The River from near the Airport - but on a normal day if you leave at 6.30am about 40 minutes)

I must've looked at 20 condos before we moved here so if you can:

1) Give a rough address of your husbands place of work.

2) The list of condos you were provided.

As others have said you could rent a great house out in the suburbs - I can't see why your company wouldn't pay?

Don't base your whole life about the one or two evening business meals/meetings your husband may have.

P.S. What nationality are you? People have different ideas of what makes an "home".

If I give London as an example - for the same budget would you live in Mayfair or Notting Hill? Totally different experiences.

RAZZ

On a final note with regards to budget.

There are 1000s of empty condos especially at your price range.

I reckon you could probably get a 10-20% reduction - especially for a guaranteed corporate let for a year or two.

So you could look at properties in the 120k+ range ????

RAZZ

On 10/13/2019 at 6:13 PM, NewbieInBangkok said:

I have blinkin well listened to the advice given!!!

I only had google maps to go off of before I posted in here.  It was a starting point!  Then I listened to the advice given by all of the other people in this thread (and they were very nice about it too) and readjusted my plans. 

I came here because I didn’t know.

I asked.

I got advice.

I changed my search area.

So what part of that makes you believe I’m still choosing google maps over what everyone has said? 

????‍♀️

You've learnt quite a bit about Thaivisa forum as well.

A goldmine of information tempered by a minefield of tripe and trolls.

????

21 hours ago, berybert said:

Some nice houses far end of many of the sois from Phrom Phong to Thong Lor. Not sure of the prices Most have 7 baht buses running up and down them. Maybe not the most stylish way to travel, plenty of taxis as well. Condo living is OK if you're used to it, but a house is far better.

Thank you....but tbh we’d prefer a condo.  We currently live on the 31st floor in our current country and love it.

9 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

On a final note with regards to budget.

There are 1000s of empty condos especially at your price range.

I reckon you could probably get a 10-20% reduction - especially for a guaranteed corporate let for a year or two.

So you could look at properties in the 120k+ range ????

RAZZ

Thank you.  Yes, it did seem like there are lots of condos available.  The sheer breadth of choice has made this all the more difficult to decide.

9 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

To the OP - Can you give "us" a rough idea of location of your husband's work? (on Google Maps?)

I live at The River and love it here.

BUT that is because my wife works a 5 minute walk away at ICONSIAM.

I would always say live as close as possible to your place of work. Travelling 3 hours a day will wear very thin, very quickly.

Traffic can be a nightmare - however, if you husband doesn't mind getting up and leaving early you can easily miss it. (Seems Thais wouldn't dream of arriving an hour before they get paid!) ????

My wife owns a house near the Airport and it is great out there too! A lot more real. Airport Link is fantastic although it does get very busy.

On Monday (which was a public holiday - it took us 25 minutes in a taxi to get to The River from near the Airport - but on a normal day if you leave at 6.30am about 40 minutes)

I must've looked at 20 condos before we moved here so if you can:

1) Give a rough address of your husbands place of work.

2) The list of condos you were provided.

As others have said you could rent a great house out in the suburbs - I can't see why your company wouldn't pay?

Don't base your whole life about the one or two evening business meals/meetings your husband may have.

P.S. What nationality are you? People have different ideas of what makes an "home".

If I give London as an example - for the same budget would you live in Mayfair or Notting Hill? Totally different experiences.

RAZZ

His work will be near Siam Amazing Park so I probably gave the wrong idea when I said near the airport.

Sadly I think we have to discount The River as the commute would be too long.

We’d much rather live in the city despite the commute.  He would too as all of his colleagues live in the Phrom Phong/Thonglor area. They say it’s about a 1-1.5 hour commute by car.  We are used to long commutes - I myself used to commute 2 hours each way using 3 trains.  He used to commute 1.25 hours each way (no traffic) on narrow roads driving himself.  I think he will probably sleep on most of the journey anyway as someone else is driving him in BKK ????

Hes planning to leave at 6:30am if we live north Thong Lor.  He did say he would be happy to leave for work at 6am so we could live at the river but I took everyone here’s advice and said we should choose Thong Lor or Ekkamai as it would be a shorter commute...much shorter on high traffic days.

The list of condos is huge as it’s actually a website for a real estate agency.  They seem to have all the same buildings as Hipflat and the other estate agencies have but they have fewer units in each available.  And they also only have as far down as Ekkamai and a few in Phra Khanong.  We won’t be coming to choose one until November so maybe the choices might change a bit.

Im thinking TL from about Quattro northwards.  If I have to walk or take a taxi to the station it’s not such a priority.  I like painting so I spend a lot of time at home doing that anyway but I do plan to take oil painting lessons and to study Thai language so they will be my only commitments.

We have lived in Asia and Several European countries.  We do like being in the city centre and being able to walk to restaurants and cocktail bars but we are not party people. We are used to driving 1-1.5 hours each way to play golf on weekends. 

We haven’t lived in London but I’d say I’d prefer Mayfair but would need to live in Notting Hill so as not to have to live in a box ????

Thank you for taking the time to reply ????

26 minutes ago, berybert said:

Why not book into a serviced apartment for a few weeks and give yourself a bit more time to look around.

We have been told that we need to have the condo decided before we move from our current place as stuff will need to be shipped by both air and ship.  I dunno....maybe corporate company rule or something.  We have been able to do as you suggest in the past but not this time.

26 minutes ago, berybert said:

Oh and here is a video I watched a while ago. 

Nice looking condo and just where you are now looking. 

Yes, I saw that one.  Tbh it kind of put me off that condo as the pool doesn’t look very private or inviting and I don’t want to have to fight for 1 of their 5 loungers ????. But the lobby looks lovely.  The interior is more important to me than the public areas though as that’s where I’ll be spending much of my time so I guess it depends which units are available and how nicely the owner furnished them.

It was very interesting that he negotiated from 60k to 40k though.  

I wish more Youtubers did condo videos of larger apartments - they all seem to live in tiny 1 bedroom boxes.  We are way too old for that ????. But then again, I don’t want to live in a place that has vloggers running around waving cameras in our faces when we are trying to relax at home.  Privacy people ????

Archived