Food exports to EU in trouble in wake of Zero Palm Policy

snoop1130

By THE NATION

800_9cadd57ddadfe00.jpg

After the EU's announcement of Zero Palm Oil policy which has encouraged member countries to reduce the consumption of palm oil and biodiesel produced from palm, EU importers has informed Thai exporters that food products delivered to EU will be prohibited from using palm oil as an ingredient, and needs to show "no palm oil" as an ingredient on the labels, said Visit Limlurcha, president of Food Processing Industry under the Federation of Thai Industry (FTI).

The Zero Palm Oil policy was enforced after claims of palm farming partly associated with deforestation and environmental degradation while palm biodiesel also emits more greenhouse gas than other fuels.

“The export products affected by this policy are snack, curry, and instant foods which are fried in oil palm or includes it as an ingredient” said Visit. “Although the policy is not officially part of the import regulations, Thai exporters need to adjust their production process by using other kinds of oil, such as rice oil or soybean oil”.

“Moreover, we are afraid of the policy will spread to other markets banning the imports of palm oil and palm-oil-ingredient products” Visit said.

Meanwhile, a source in automobile industry said that the main reason behind the EU's palm oil policy is its hidden agenda in electronic vehicles promotion, using the environmental threat of palm farming as an excuse.

Malaysia and Indonesia, the first and second biggest exporters, have threatened to sue the EU over its palm oil policy at the World Trade Organisation (WTO).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377291

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-10

1 hour ago, DLock said:

Thank you 3 times.

Signed,

The Orang O tans.

Palm oil is the least environmentally unfriendly oil crop. Replacing palm oil with other oils requires an additional 50 million hectares of farm land. That’s more than the entire Borneo rainforest that’s left. So I think the orangutans should be pleased humans only used around 5% of the original Borneo rainforest for palm oil plantations. 

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

and needs to show "no palm oil" as an ingredient on the labels, said Visit Limlurcha, president of Food Processing Industry under the Federation of Thai Industry (FTI).

This part will be easy with a small design change.

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Malaysia and Indonesia, the first and second biggest exporters, have threatened to sue the EU over its palm oil policy at the World Trade Organisation (WTO).

This will be interesting. If Malaysia and Indonesia  think they will get anywhere they have another thing coming. Just because a "customer" changes their policy you are left with a whole lot of product you cannot sell. Time to replant native trees and encourage the wildlife to return or find a new market.

8 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Exports look like they might continue their downhill slide even faster. With these sort of factors coming into play and the high baht and a world recession looming the perfect economic storm looks to be brewing for Thailand. 

The self appointed Chairman of the Economic Management Committee is maintaining a steadfast silence suggesting he is floundering around and not having a clue as to what to do. The clock is ticking! 

Palm oil biofuel was once seen as the best way to fight climate change, even by the EU, but it is now seen purely as a contributor to deforestation. The EU ban on palm oil favours alternative crops like rapeseed and soybeans that are grown in Europe as a source of oil for biofuel. However, these alternative crops require much more land to generate the same amount of oil as palm plantations, and they store less CO2 than palm oil. Rapeseed, for example produces four to 10 times less oil than palm oil per unit of land and requires more fertilizer and pesticides. Net palm oil production is more efficient in preventing climate change through biofuel than alternative crops.

World Economic Forum

Sue away you forest burning nuts.

9 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Palm oil is the least environmentally unfriendly oil crop. Replacing palm oil with other oils requires an additional 50 million hectares of farm land. That’s more than the entire Borneo rainforest that’s left. So I think the orangutans should be pleased humans only used around 5% of the original Borneo rainforest for palm oil plantations. 

There are so many alternatives to Palm oil....to say it is the least unfriendly is a bit of a stretch....it's an insidious product.

After working in Kalimantan, the destruction of the forests there is beyond belief, but it's not just Kalimantan...it's global!

Highlighting orangutans as a joking point is plain ignorant!

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

What a strange and irrational reaction.

Let's say I'm a baker whose main business is selling bread made from (unhealthy) refined wheat flour. My customers decide they no longer want the product and switch to whole grain loaves. Can I sue them for shunning my bread?

29 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Knocked me down with a feather. Palm oil comes from palm trees; right. Deforestation seem bit misleading. 

Natural, dense rainforest is cleared to plant a few palm trees in nice straight rows, all equally spaced the same distance apart. So it is certainly not misleading.

Palm oil is not a healthy product to use anyway, but it’s cheap, that’s why the manufacturers use it......and why there is row after row of the stuff on Tesco shelves and only a few bottles of other vegetable oils. It’s taken a while but I have finally got the missus not to buy palm oil.

43 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Natural, dense rainforest is cleared to plant a few palm trees in nice straight rows, all equally spaced the same distance apart. So it is certainly not misleading.

Palm oil is not a healthy product to use anyway, but it’s cheap, that’s why the manufacturers use it......and why there is row after row of the stuff on Tesco shelves and only a few bottles of other vegetable oils. It’s taken a while but I have finally got the missus not to buy palm oil.

ditto. Costs a fortune here but extra virgin olive oil is all we use now. Some palm oil in Tesco's is the same price as diesel at the pump. However switching to palm oil for my Vigo is just encouraging rainforest destruction (been to Borneo and seen the result) and this will be a stain on our generation's legacy and quite rightly so. I don't eat meat so no Mac Dor Now's for me thanks ????

4 hours ago, Topdoc said:

The EU ban on palm oil favours alternative crops like rapeseed and soybeans that are grown in Europe as a source of oil for biofuel.

With regard to soy beans used as a biofuel, that might for the most part be a political decision related to the USA tariff war with China and American farmer's massive loss of soy bean sales to China. This trade gesture might be leveraged by the EU for a good trade deal with the USA. In 2017, the EU produced crop biodiesel mix included only 6% soy bean. So not a significant biofuel supply issue for the EU.

• The EU Commission’s decision on the US scheme to import soy beans will be valid only until the first RED is repealed on 1 July 2021. https://www.euractiv.com/section/agriculture-food/news/us-soy-for-producing-biofuels-an-unsustainable-giveaway-to-trump/

At that time the higher environmental requirements of recently revised RED II will take effect and likely rule out further soy bean imports for biofuel purposes.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Like plantation trees after the west devastated their forest. 

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

Just change the labels.

What's irritating is the way they include palm oil in so called "condensed milk", maybe the Thai population are just cholesterol junkies?

13 hours ago, Topdoc said:

Palm oil biofuel was once seen as the best way to fight climate change, even by the EU, but it is now seen purely as a contributor to deforestation. The EU ban on palm oil favours alternative crops like rapeseed and soybeans that are grown in Europe as a source of oil for biofuel. However, these alternative crops require much more land to generate the same amount of oil as palm plantations, and they store less CO2 than palm oil. Rapeseed, for example produces four to 10 times less oil than palm oil per unit of land and requires more fertilizer and pesticides. Net palm oil production is more efficient in preventing climate change through biofuel than alternative crops.

World Economic Forum

Do you really think its about the mythical "Climate Change" the naturally occurring cycle that is 98% controlled by the sun and less than 1% caused by humans? Its all about money and tax. 

On 10/11/2019 at 12:01 AM, Gulfsailor said:

We were getting along just fine before, we don't need it and we really don't need the destruction of forrest to grow palm on such a massive scale that will inevitably create an oversupply and a price crash. 

Archived