Are the theaters ever full?

Hal65

I once went to SF Central Marina to watch Pacific Rim 2 with some Thais, Thai soundtrack and no English sub-titles. Was about 5pm, tickets were 200 Baht each and the place was packed. Still managed to sleep through most of it.

I should add that this was during school holidays.

11 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Saw Joker at 5:20pm yesterday at SFX Central Festival. 20 people in the audience in a room fit for maybe 300.

5PM and you are surprised to see very few people inside ?

Next time try to go at about 9PM :wink:

There are reason why theatres offer discounted prices in the afternoon :wink:

and BTW I already saw theatres full or over 90% full,

often first days of a Blockbuster, like Avengers recently or their Thai equivalents.

4 hours ago, fhickson said:

went to see a horror flick with my gf once and we were the ONLY people in the theater. of course, we stood for the anthem.

thais dont seem to like movies much. not sure why.

Was it all in Thai? I think they like them but only Thai films in Thai language. 

I never seen it the last decade.  Back in 2004 and 2005 when there was only Big C by the roundabout and Gardens mall still had its theater there were a fair amount of people on a weekend show.  Last few years, so many theaters now.   I noticed the popcorn and soda prices creeping up there.  Not quite as bad as in the USA but is enough to be obscene. 

Typical Thai, do something to death.  Festival, Avenue, Big C, and now Terminal 21.  Lots of seats.  On my trip there in July and August the movie selections were poor.  Same movies at each SF place.

Yes, I think that is part of it. In my US city of 70,000 there was 1 theater. In Pattaya, a city of 100,000 locals and millions of tourists, there are 4. SFX runs all the theaters and knows what opening another one would be like. I guess the malls give them a price hard to say no to for the value add the theater provides them.

It's more local visitors on Wednesdays since its 50% off , so a few times it's been packed. But when the average daily income is 300 baht here you cant really expect it to be packed.  

Arctic conditions - who wants to carry a Katmandu jacket, muffs and gloves around with them. Sound level set at Defcon 4 - I have walked out feeling quite ill from the noise. Hardly comparable to a theatre's giant screen, but a large home TV and a torrent download have to suffice.

Its still nice to go see certain special film's on "the big screen" too cold ? take a jumper..too loud well yes maybe a couple of times a tad too loud at certain points in a flim you could always stick yer fingers in yer ears [emoji39]
One thing about the cinema is having to go out to the toilet at a critical/exiting time they never pause the film ! [emoji38]

12 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Arctic conditions - who wants to carry a Katmandu jacket, muffs and gloves around with them. Sound level set at Defcon 4 - I have walked out feeling quite ill from the noise. Hardly comparable to a theatre's giant screen, but a large home TV and a torrent download have to suffice.

Haha, a fellow grouch. I get irritated by someone sitting nearby playing on their phones, or eating popcorn like a toothless camel! 

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Haha, a fellow grouch. I get irritated by someone sitting nearby playing on their phones, or eating popcorn like a toothless camel! 

Yeah, some might think we're grouches. But our complaints are legitimate. And it takes time to learn to tolerate the excesses here which come about because no one is permitted to criticise another. Hence the blaring speakers (in every facet of Thai life) - the hardest problem I have to cope with (caused by a medical event). Back home I can go to the movies, but here I can't.

They're lucky to have any customers since the introduction of the mobile phone. I met some Thai ladies recently who were moving into new accomodation...they are not bothered about even getting a Television...(I was giving them one for nothing) they just play their phones when off work (and when in work).

On 10/11/2019 at 2:23 AM, champers said:

I once went to SF Central Marina to watch Pacific Rim 2 with some Thais, Thai soundtrack and no English sub-titles. Was about 5pm, tickets were 200 Baht each and the place was packed. Still managed to sleep through most of it.

I should add that this was during school holidays.

The times I've been to the cinema, the English soundtrack movies are almost empty, but there are queues for the Thai soundtracks are always full.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:37 AM, jacko45k said:

Surprised, I couldn't get my teeth to stop chattering, freezing in them cinemas.!

It makes the premium price recliner seats supplied with blankets a better proposition.  Maybe that's the plan!!

To answer the OP's question, yes I have seen them full not almost full. I usually go to Central Lad Prao where they show English speaking movies with no Thai subtitles. I saw Avengers End Game 2nd  day around 6 PM with only 4 seats let in the theatre. The other 3 seats were filled after I sat down.  90% of the viewers were Thai who spoke English as there were no Thai subs.

I will not see Joker and don't think it will do well outside the US. The other Marvel movies I have seen at Central Lad Prao as well as Wonder Woman , Justic League and Alita Battle Angel were almost full and the theatre has mulitible screens some in Thai, English and sometimes Korean or Japanese dubbed.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, fhickson said:

went to see a horror flick with my gf once and we were the ONLY people in the theater. of course, we stood for the anthem.

thais dont seem to like movies much. not sure why.

they watch them on their cellphones

10 hours ago, fruitman said:

I've never seen a theater in thailand, do you mean cinema's??

Maybe that is what they call cinema's in America? I love it when the cinema is empty. No annoyance from inconsiderate people speaking, playing phones etc. I get really angry when that happens and have been known to say something. No problem with the sound being loud you need it high to really experience the movie. I dont like though when some movies are deliberately edited so the voices are hard to hear. With regards to the air con, yes sometimes can be cold but as said take a LS (long sleeve) top and your fine. Those of you who said I cant go to see a movie in Thailand are just to set in their ways to adjust.

5 hours ago, jimn said:

Maybe that is what they call cinema's in America? I love it when the cinema is empty. No annoyance from inconsiderate people speaking, playing phones etc. I get really angry when that happens and have been known to say something. No problem with the sound being loud you need it high to really experience the movie. I dont like though when some movies are deliberately edited so the voices are hard to hear. With regards to the air con, yes sometimes can be cold but as said take a LS (long sleeve) top and your fine. Those of you who said I cant go to see a movie in Thailand are just to set in their ways to adjust.

In Europe a theatre is a place for acting and live music with real instruments, orchestra's and so...

I've been to thai cinema's twice and both times i fell asleep from the cold aircon....

Archived