Are the theaters ever full?

Hal65

13 hours ago, fruitman said:

I've never seen a theater in thailand

Oh, I've seen lots of them, but in Thailand, not thailand. Or do you mean theatre?

do you mean cinema's??

Couldn't possibly, as there's no such thing. Do you mean cinemas?

On 10/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, Dexlowe said:

Arctic conditions - who wants to carry a Katmandu jacket, muffs and gloves around with them.

Well, that's the thing, your usual Chang wife beater and Speedo won't really offer much warmth, esp. a wet Speedo. But pants (long pants maybe) and a light jacket, hoodie, or sweater will. Had a girlfriend once who used to carry a sweater along to theaters in the States, no big deal.

Sound level set at Defcon 4 - I have walked out feeling quite ill from the noise.

Oh. Would carrying along a pair of earplugs in your cargo shorts also be too burdensome? Nobody told you they're a standard accessory in Thailand?

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Well, that's the thing, your usual Chang wife beater and Speedo won't really offer much warmth, esp. a wet Speedo. But pants (long pants maybe) and a light jacket, hoodie, or sweater will. Had a girlfriend once who used to carry a sweater along to theaters in the States, no big deal.

Oh. Would carrying along a pair of earplugs in your cargo shorts also be too burdensome? Nobody told you they're a standard accessory in Thailand?

You need to open your mind and see the world through the eyes of others. noting especially that we're not all made in your likeness. I don't own a Chang shirt of any kind let alone a wife beater, nor Speedos. Going to the movies is often a spur-of-the-moment thing, so would you carry around an arctic jacket all the time in Pattaya's weather just in case? You would? Well, you're my hero.

Ear plugs in a theatre? Gosh, how novel! And dumb. FYI, I do use earplugs quite a lot when out, but they don't reduce the aerial vibrations caused by deafening bass, which is where the main problem lies for people with central nervous system issues.

Have a nice day, my hero. Hope you learn new things to enrich your life's experiences.

PS: To help with your perspective, I've lived in Thailand for 30 years. With the help of people like you, I think I'm finally getting the hang of this place. Thank you, wise one.

On 10/16/2019 at 5:17 PM, Dexlowe said:

Yeah, some might think we're grouches. But our complaints are legitimate. And it takes time to learn to tolerate the excesses here which come about because no one is permitted to criticise another. Hence the blaring speakers (in every facet of Thai life) - the hardest problem I have to cope with (caused by a medical event). Back home I can go to the movies, but here I can't.

So because you have a medical condition that keeps you from going to movies here everyone else should change the way they enjoy the movie because you can't adapt. Some movie cinema are cold as well as some Foodland near the  ice creeam or cheese departments. My wife wears a sweater but doesn't bother me. You say the intense sound of the speakers bother you---ear plugs/buds , noise dampening headset and seating not near the speakers would fix that. 

Some enjoy the intense realism of the sounds. I had the reverb in US movie actually vibrate the air in my lungs once. Didn't hurt my ears just that the vibration fluttered the air in my lungs for a few seconds.

And your sarcastic comment about wearing an arctic jacket around in Pattaya in case you went to a movie, my wife when we are going to a mall ties a sweater around her waist ( taken from our car) incase it is too cold in the mall or were going to a movie or shopping for frozen items.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:51 AM, Tony125 said:

90% of the viewers were Thai who spoke English as there were no Thai subs.

I've never seen a film with English soundtrack presented without Thai subtitles ( at a Thai cinema)

On 10/17/2019 at 11:51 AM, Tony125 said:

Korean or Japanese dubbed.

dubbed into Korean  or a Korean film dubbed to Thai ???

20 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

So because you have a medical condition that keeps you from going to movies here everyone else should change the way they enjoy the movie because you can't adapt. Some movie cinema are cold as well as some Foodland near the  ice creeam or cheese departments. My wife wears a sweater but doesn't bother me. You say the intense sound of the speakers bother you---ear plugs/buds , noise dampening headset and seating not near the speakers would fix that. 

Some enjoy the intense realism of the sounds. I had the reverb in US movie actually vibrate the air in my lungs once. Didn't hurt my ears just that the vibration fluttered the air in my lungs for a few seconds.

And your sarcastic comment about wearing an arctic jacket around in Pattaya in case you went to a movie, my wife when we are going to a mall ties a sweater around her waist ( taken from our car) incase it is too cold in the mall or were going to a movie or shopping for frozen items.

+1. I research a movie, theaters, and schedules carefully before I go--as I seldom do, but now and then a movie absolutely needs to be seen on the big screen. But most of our Roderick Randoms could keep a light jacket/sweater in the car or bike to fetch in case of sudden onset of a "gotta see that movie now" attack. A light packable could easily fit into a small backpack, useful anyway when out shopping, or even in a fanny pack. If you ride a bike and don't normally wear a jacket, any time's a good time to start--and then just sling it over your arm and bring it into the mall if you might want to see a movie.

When I lived in a city with notably changeable weather, I routinely carried along a jacket most everywhere.

I agree: Where there's a will there's a way. ????

42 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

You're a crack up mate. You haven't got a clue, have you? All that supposition when you have no idea what you are talking about. I'm demanding nothing. Zilch. Just expressing my opinion - just as you have. Grow up and accept it and stop putting words into my mouth. 

Because of the extreme cold i now avoid going. I would go often, as long as they were showing the new block busters and not the kiddies stuff the Thais like . Every time I have been there have only been a handful of visitors. I really can’t understand this icy aircon making watching a film so uncomfortable the only thing you want is to get out fast. Also, the sound ! Are they deaf ? MAYbe all these comment s should be sent to management, don’t they want/ need customers ? Even Bangkok theatres are near empty ! 

complain , maybe it would help.

17 hours ago, krabi local said:

Went to see Malificent yesterday at MegaBangna.

soundtrack in English with Thai subtitles.

I was the only Farang in there but it was 3/4 full of Thai people.

How many people were 'playing phone' during the film?

1 hour ago, johng said:

I've never seen a film with English soundtrack presented without Thai subtitles ( at a Thai cinema)

dubbed into Korean  or a Korean film dubbed to Thai ???

Well I don't know what more I can do for you I gave you the name of the specific mall ( Central Lad Prao in Bangkok) that plays many English language films with NO Thai subtitles. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If you want to see go visit or maybe have  a friend if your to far away. I know  other cinemas play Englih films with Thai subs but they don't.

As far as your other question I did not go into the cinema screening but was told it was Thai or English movie but dubbed or subtitled in Korean or Japanese.

1 hour ago, Dexlowe said:

You're a crack up mate. You haven't got a clue, have you? All that supposition when you have no idea what you are talking about. I'm demanding nothing. Zilch. Just expressing my opinion - just as you have. Grow up and accept it and stop putting words into my mouth. 

I quoted from your own words in your post that many would say say your a grouch but you have legitimate complaints, not just an opinion. Said takes time to adapt to the extremes here. Well as said by many no big deal to carry a sweater or jacket along if too cold in the theatre ,they should make the theatre warmer for you?  As for the suggestions on reducing the adverse affect on loud (base) sounds on you medical condition then I guess you will have to wait for vid streaming to watch the movie at home on your large screen tv. Many of my friends in US have large screen tv's with sound systems to watch sports games and concerts---can adjust your home tempand noise level however you like since you don't seem to want to bother sitting with farangs or Thai to watch in public. As one of the bloggers says "there's always an alternative"

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2019 at 1:04 AM, fhickson said:

thais dont seem to like movies much. not sure why.

If my students are any indication, Thais don't enjoy western movies because they know the actors don't speak Thai and don't sound like that or are that boring to listen to. I brought in around 200 VCDs and DVDs I had laying around the house and built a small video library for my upper level students to practice their English skills with. It's a big hit with the kids. Movies they've seen before but never with the real actors speaking. Test scores are going up too. ???? 

I have recently  re-discovered the  "big screen"   after finding out that the first show at Major Cineplex ( The Avenue)  is only 100 baht per seat ..only few people go to the early shows..the aircon isn't too cold ,the sound is quite loud.

8 minutes ago, johng said:

I have recently  re-discovered the  "big screen"   after finding out that the first show at Major Cineplex ( The Avenue)  is only 100 baht per seat ..only few people go to the early shows..the aircon isn't too cold ,the sound is quite loud.

If you're an old guy, you can buy a card that gets you in for 1/2 price.

Two main cinema complexes in Thailand, for one it's age 60 (MAYA mall), for the other it's age 65 (Central Festival)

Archived