BANGKOK
webfact

Mandatory health insurance due for long stay tourists

35 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What's the need for a 5 million baht coverage insurance? 

That's the maximum annual coverage provided by the policy.

If someone were to have a serious medical condition / involved surgery and recovery time here, a single private hospital stay can reach into the millions.

Government hospitals are going to be cheaper than privates, but the quality of care and professional knowledge and expertise at hand can vary considerably from place to place. Not to mention the physical conditions and the ability of the doctors, nurses and support staff to communicate in English.

I believe our resident medical person/mod Sheryl generally recommends expats living here get medical insurance coverage of at least 3 to 5 million.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

I'm 74 and still covered and accepted by Aetna former Bupa. 

Just go their website and try to signup, thye start asking your birth date, oops older then the year 1954 is NOT possible.

Would some kind soul explain the key differences between the O and the O-A visas please, thanks. 

Would some kind soul explain the key differences between the O and the O-A visas please, thanks. 
OA is a one year long-stay visa for the over 50s. O visas are for 90 days, issued for general reasons including being married to a Thai, having a Thai kid, retirement, and can be changed to an Extension of Stay when in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

My wife is a government teacher, I wonder if all of this mess will apply to us as well.

No worries. We are exempt from mandatory 3rd party insurance.

The only issue I see is when immigration asks for proof of insurance.. what will we provide? The Gov does not issue insurance ID cards.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's the maximum annual coverage provided by the policy.

If someone were to have a serious medical condition / involved surgery and recovery time here, a single private hospital stay can reach into the millions.

Government hospitals are going to be cheaper than privates, but the quality of care and professional knowledge and expertise at hand can vary considerably from place to place. Not to mention the physical conditions and the ability of the doctors, nurses and support staff to communicate in English.

I believe our resident medical person/mod Sheryl generally recommends expats living here get medical insurance coverage of at least 3 to 5 million.

Sheryl has also recommended Gov hospitals over private hospitals in the past.

5 hours ago, davehowden said:

The O-A Long Stay Visa must be applied for in your home country. The 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa can be obtained both in your home country, Thai neighbouring countries and within Thailand when converting a tourist Visa. After 60 days in Thailand, you can apply for a 1 year extension. And again and again as long as you meet the financial requirements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

If you can afford it, a private hospital is normally better. No sane person recommends a government hospital over a private one,unless you know a good one. There are a few,but not out in the sticks.

Edited by Max69xl
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, superal said:

Non payment of hospital bills by tourists has probably spawned this insurance scheme . For me I would propose that for all tourists there should me mandatory insurance . Take them out of the equation and the problem will be much reduced .

too sensible an option for the peanut brains, most seem to be young  kids.

20 hours ago, Russell17au said:

There are a lot of uneducated people on here that prefer to sprook false information instead of stating the facts about this. Go and read the official police order that has been available on TV for the last three days and it clearly states that this insurance is "only" for the "O-A" visa and no other visa. Elite visa = not affected, Non-Imm "O" visa with retirement extension = not affected, Non-Imm "O" visa with marriage extension = not affected.

This is the official police order that was listed here on TV 2 days ago. Read it and you will see that it is only the "O-A" visa that is affected by the insurance and non of the others.

1.thumb.jpg.af7bf406e97f54cd4882be31b7273bfa.jpg

100% right. I get exasperated when I read some of the posts. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

why not allow foreigners to opt out of an insurance requirement for preexisting conditions if they can't get coverage?  or go further and allow them to opt out of the insurance requirement altogether? 

by opting out, the foreigner would be denied treatment for any preexisting condition or treatment in any hospital unless they had their own funds to pay for it.  sounds inhumane perhaps, but if people can understand the choice they're making, then let them make it. 

Thats how it works today, from experience you have treatment and you pay, simple arrangement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I believe her general recommendation usually relates to the doctor being the primary consideration, not the place... 

But, she also has noted quite a few times that the quality of care and facilities in govt hospitals here can vary widely, from excellent to lousy, depending on the location. 

Depending on where the person lives, they may have access to an excellent government facility, or, just the opposite.

But my comments above were not in the context of simple outpatient care, but rather, responding to a question about why the need to multi million baht coverage, and that being the prospect of an expensive surgery or complicated injury.

And in those cases, that's likely to require an extended hospital stay, and surgery, and after care, etc.  And in those cases, the type of medical equipment available, the ability to communicate with the staff, the comfort features of the facility and other similar facility related issues come more into play, IMHO.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1