BANGKOK
webfact

Mandatory health insurance due for long stay tourists

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am more concerned by the statement on the tgia website that this certificate can be used only for the first one year entry. It is under "guidelines" section. That and lack of reference to foreign policies in the police order.

Yes. The guidelines are very specific - overseas policies acceptable for the first year only, subsequently you have to use Thai companies. That makes it sound as though the idea is to accommodate people who have existing insurance, but it doesn't do much to help those who have very good long-term overseas policies.  And the Deputy Minister's comments certainly didn't contain anything about one-year only.  Confusion abounds as usual.

59 minutes ago, jimn said:

Then it makes it impossilble to use insurance from a non Thai company. I have zero touch with my insurance company except online, getting 2 directors to sign is a joke. What planet do they live on?

Thailand, of course!!! 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Yes. The guidelines are very specific - overseas policies acceptable for the first year only, subsequently you have to use Thai companies. That makes it sound as though the idea is to accommodate people who have existing insurance, but it doesn't do much to help those who have very good long-term overseas policies.  And the Deputy Minister's comments certainly didn't contain anything about one-year only.  Confusion abounds as usual.

Can we really expect an immigration officer at the airport to decide if an insurance policy is in force for an OA visa. Take the scenario where a Non OA visa holder tries to enter Thailand on his first entry and being asked to show his insurance before being allowed in, its in English and the IO has no idea what it is?   

43 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

So far, we've only heard from Pacific Cross with them claiming their full range of regular insurance policies that meet the coverage requirements will be accepted vs. just the few original low coverage OA offerings.

Afaik, we haven't heard anything as yet from any of the other Thai insurers on the OA list. And the Pacific Cross rep hasn't answered my reply question if the same notion will apply with the other listed insurers.

21 minutes ago, jimn said:

Can we really expect an immigration officer at the airport to decide if an insurance policy is in force for an OA visa. Take the scenario where a Non OA visa holder tries to enter Thailand on his first entry and being asked to show his insurance before being allowed in, its in English and the IO has no idea what it is?   

When you first apply for your O-A visa, you have to send your passport and a copy of your insurance to the consulate through which you are applying. If you are granted a visa, they annotate your passport noting that you have the required health insurance. The IOs will be instructed to look for the annotation. They haven't made it clear what happens if you subsequently renew your insurance inside Thailand. I guess you will probably have to go to the local Immigration Office to get a new annotation.

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Afaik, we haven't heard anything as yet from any of the other Thai insurers on the OA list. And the Pacific Cross rep hasn't answered my reply question if the same notion will apply with the other listed insurers.

Pacific Cross haven't answered my email, either. I guess all of the insurance companies are in headless-chicken mode at the moment.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So far, we've only heard from Pacific Cross with them claiming their full range of regular insurance policies that meet the coverage requirements will be accepted vs. just the few original low coverage OA offerings.

I probably know the right answer (to line their own pockets), but why oh why are they insisting on a Thai company insurance policy. Surely the insurance should be checked at the visa application stage, as what happens in a Schengan visa application for Europe. It could be an own country insurance policy and the granting of the visa proves the visa holder has insurance. It takes away any responsibility from Thai immigration. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

When you first apply for your O-A visa, you have to send your passport and a copy of your insurance to the consulate through which you are applying. If you are granted a visa, they annotate your passport noting that you have the required health insurance. The IOs will be instructed to look for the annotation. They haven't made it clear what happens if you subsequently renew your insurance inside Thailand. I guess you will probably have to go to the local Immigration Office to get a new annotation.

The other issue is if you get 1 year say UK insurance to cover your first year stay and you then leave and re enter to get your 2nd year just before your visa and insurance expires. The police order says that this 2nd year insurance must be from a Thai insurance company. The annotation you mentioned only covers the 1st year and they can then only stamp you into the country for the period of your insurance cover.

4 minutes ago, jimn said:

The other issue is if you get 1 year say UK insurance to cover your first year stay and you then leave and re enter to get your 2nd year just before your visa and insurance expires. The police order says that this 2nd year insurance must be from a Thai insurance company. The annotation you mentioned only covers the 1st year and they can then only stamp you into the country for the period of your insurance cover.

Right, so it would probably be best to get new insurance before doing the border hop at the end of the first year. But see the quote from the Deputy Health Minister in post 297. He doesn't mention anything about foreign insurance being for the first year only, whereas the longstay website does.

9 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Right, so it would probably be best to get new insurance before doing the border hop at the end of the first year. But see the quote from the Deputy Health Minister in post 297. He doesn't mention anything about foreign insurance being for the first year only, whereas the longstay website does.

Its just unbelievable how incompetent these people are. They have had months to plan this and its still all over the place. I seriously think that only very small numbers will even bother with an OA in the future. I am just waiting for those people with an OA returning to Thailand after 31st October and then being asked where is the annotation for your insurance. Its going to happen and its going to be chaos.

• Like 1

That's the most frustrating part. If they're going to make changes they should let everyone know in advance, including their own consulates and other staff. They seem to just make ill-thought-out announcements from on-high, often multiple, contradictory announcements, and then everyone is left scrambling around trying to find out what is going on. This stuff has a big impact on the lives of many people.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

That's the most frustrating part. If they're going to make changes they should let everyone know in advance, including their own consulates and other staff. They seem to just make ill-thought-out announcements from on-high, often multiple, contradictory announcements, and then everyone is left scrambling around trying to find out what is going on. This stuff has a big impact on the lives of many people.

They don't plan for next week, much less in the months or years ahead. It's grab it while you can, because you might die tomorrow. 

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2019 at 3:16 AM, Thaiwrath said:

Hopefully, this will avoid numerous scaremongering, nonsensical posts as in the other threads about the insurance

Why so? No visa or extension is more than 1 year anyway!!! 🤔

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:18 AM, Mitkof Island said:

I will self insure thank you very much before i hand my money over to weasels.

How can you self insure if, that is not in the criteria to get the visa? No policy....... Out you go!!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1