Updated to Catalina Yesterday

FredLee

Sharing my experience with the upgrade to Catalina yesterday. I normally wait for about two months at least before upgrading to a new release, but for some reason I didn't this time.  

Around 1 pm I downloaded the update, that took about 12 minutes, and I started the install at 1:15 pm. It took a very long time, and several times I thought it had stalled or stopped. I was patient, and the install finally completed at 4:40 pm. The first screen that came up was "Screen Time". It gave the option to set it up later, so I selected that. That is when the install hung up. It just sat there, with the "back" and "continue" buttons greyed out. I searched the web and the advice I got from one of the Apple forums said to give it some time and perhaps it would resolve the problem on its own. They recommended "a few hours" time. I waited a little over two hours to no avail. At that time I decided to restart, and reset the SMC on my IMac. I powered down, unplugged the power cord for more than 15 seconds, plugged it back in, waited for over 5 seconds and then restarted. Thankfully it booted up just fine, and has been working as advertised for now, although I haven't tried any of the new features yet.

Fredlee I had a similar experience - for me the whole installation process seemed to disappear, I did sMC and everything because my mac would not boot up.  But then it just all of the sudden worked and was installed.

So far everything seems to be working fine.

I did my update from the latest mojave to catalina on my macbook pro early 2013....no problems. I downloaded it, walked away and returned 30 minutes later, download was done. Started the install, walked away and returned about 4 hours later, install was done. Just needed to do the initial settings

On 10/11/2019 at 4:41 PM, NiwPix said:

I did my update from the latest mojave to catalina on my macbook pro early 2013....no problems. I downloaded it, walked away and returned 30 minutes later, download was done. Started the install, walked away and returned about 4 hours later, install was done. Just needed to do the initial settings

It was weird, I think my software was installing, but there wasn't any progress bar or anything....I thought my mac was screwed and started trying to set back to factory settings (new one and haven't Time Machined it yet) but yeah, it just started up all of the sudden with update installed.   

Got me thinking about installing windows 3.1 on like 12 floppy disks.  Fun!

Installed Catalina no problem apart from my Fuji Xerox printer, scanner, copier is not compatible with a 64 bit system. Fuji do not have a Mac OS 10.15 driver, only one for 10.14 which will not open for security reasons.

Still have my Macbook pro on Mohave so can still use the printer.

john

Seems like many others were having similar problems with updating. Apple released an update to address that issue:

The ‌macOS Catalina‌ Supplemental Update includes installation and reliability improvements, and is recommended for all users.

This update:
- Improves installation reliability of ‌macOS Catalina‌ on Macs with low disk space
- Fixes an issue that prevented Setup Assistant from completing during some installations
- Resolves an issue that prevents accepting iCloud Terms and Conditions when multiple ‌iCloud‌ accounts are logged in
- Improves the reliability of saving Game Center data when playing Apple Arcade games offline

Having installed Catalina Mac OS 10.15 I found my Fuji Xerox Printer, scanner, copier would not connect. I contacted Fuji Xerox, Main office in BKK and at 10.30 this morning I received a polite phone call to my mobile informing me that Fuji Xerox do not do a Driver for Mac OS 10.15 and that to use my desktop IMac I would have to revert to previous system.

To the best of my knowledge you cannot go back to a previous system on a Mac.

john

Archived